PDA

View Full Version : Trevor Bayne gets Sprint Cup option...but:

TheOldProgrammer
February 22nd, 2011, 8:02 AM
Trevor Bayne is scheduled to run 17 Cup races but it looks as though the Woods Brothers might be able to secure funding for more... He better make his mind up fast as to which championship he wants to run for... :smoke

Because of a lack of sponsorship, Wood Brothers Racing had planned to field #21-Trevor Bayne in only 17 Sprint Cup races this season. And with a new NASCAR rule forcing drivers to choose one national series in which to earn points, Bayne took himself out of the running for the title anyway. "Whatever they say, I'm good with it," said Bayne, who tied a record by capturing his first win in NASCAR's premier circuit in his second start. "I think we'll have a really good shot in Nationwide, and obviously we've got a good shot (in Cup), so whatever they say I'm fine with it" Despite his win, Bayne has zero points in the standings because he chose to run for the Nationwide title under the new rule (which was intended to end the five-year streak of Cup regulars wining the second-division title).
But NASCAR said Monday that Bayne would be allowed to change his mind. Though the points he earned from the Daytona 500 still wouldn't count, the victory would in determining his eligibility for the Chase for the Sprint Cup. Under a new format this season, the 12-driver Chase will feature the top 10 in points and the two drivers ranked 11th-20th with the most wins. If the rules had been applied last year, a one-win driver would have made the Chase. Still, Wood Brothers would need to run its first full season since 2008 to give Bayne a shot at the top 20 in points before the Chase cutoff in September. The team added a race after his win and hopes to secure funding to continue after the first seven. "This limited schedule enables us to continue racing, but you need to be at all of them and that's our goal," said co-owner Eddie Wood, who said Monday morning he had received text messages from potential sponsors in the 12 hours since the victory. Wood said deciding on whether Bayne would switch his points preference was "a good problem to have."(USA Today)(2-22-2011)

Night Owl
February 22nd, 2011, 8:08 AM
Trevor Bayne has more driving skills at 20 than the "Greatest NASCAR :dork driver" of all time has ever had.

TheOldProgrammer
February 22nd, 2011, 8:37 AM
I tend to agree with you however; had Dale Sr. not been killed 10 years ago, Jr. would have much better at this point then he is...Daddy would have seen to that. :smoke

Night Owl
February 22nd, 2011, 8:57 AM
Don't know if I can agree. Driving a car at those speeds takes someone who is special and that ain't you know who. He will always be an also ran no matter who tries to teach him to drive. Bayne is 20 and has the skills, Jr doesn't. Skills like that can't be taught.

Rick
February 22nd, 2011, 11:51 AM
I don't think it's his skills as much as it is his intelligence.

I think his lack of experience helped him Sunday, he never raced the "old" way, so he didn't have any old habits to break.

I think he should do Nationwide. He raced Sunday with no pressure, no expectations. Now that he won the Daytona 500, that's all changing.

wolfcub
February 22nd, 2011, 12:39 PM
Anyone notice that Earnhardt's widow was no where to be seen this past weekend? She really dropped out of sight and screwed DEI up bad.

TheOldProgrammer
February 22nd, 2011, 2:56 PM
You probably answered your own question... That's been a common complaint about her ever since she took over DEI... :smoke

TheOldProgrammer
February 23rd, 2011, 7:33 AM
I think it's both... :smoke

Even though NASCAR would have allowed Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne to change his eligibility for the championship from the Nationwide Series to the Sprint Cup Series, Bayne announced Tuesday he is sticking with his plans to run for the Nationwide title. As tempting as switching to Sprint Cup would have beenwith NASCAR saying he would become eligible to run for rookie of the year and that his win at Daytona would count toward a possible wild-card entry into the ChaseBayne showed he either is mature beyond his 20 years or has gotten some excellent adviceor both.(Sporting News)(2-23-2011)

gnatsum
February 24th, 2011, 5:20 PM
I tend to agree with you however; had Dale Sr. not been killed 10 years ago, Jr. would have much better at this point then he is...Daddy would have seen to that. :smoke

Sports Illustrated did an Earnhardt special this year, and on one of the last pages, did a page on what MIGHT've been if he hadn't died then.
The interesting speculation is that Jimmie Johnson WOULDN'T have FIVE chamionships, but, IIRC, Jr. would have ONE...
THe other specualtions centered on the driver makeup of DEI: Junior, Martin Truex Jr. (IIRC), MATT KENSETH (the result of LOTS of DEI money thrown at him!), AND MARK MARTIN (I don't remember if HE was speculated to have gotten a Cup championship!)!!! Presumably, Michael Waltrip would've been allowed to leave for Toyota when he did (but take the NAPA sponsorship with him?!?) back then.