Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Solar Panels

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, a lot of what people do not realize with solar and alternative power solutions is that they cost more than fossil fuel produced electricity. Mostly to pay for the construction and maintenance of the power production sites.

If America really got serious about clean, cheap energy they would opt for nuclear. Obama made the regulations so restrictive on power plant production so fierce that new plants are not being considered, much less built. Same thing for newer fossil fuel plants. There was a reason for this when he did it, and I am sure we all know what that was. Actually, getting more regulations and money were in there as well as a green agenda.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Today's solar panels amortize really well in a market where electricity is $1.75 per KWH.
    At 15 cents per KWH, not so much.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

3. Likes Night Owl, CenTexDave, shawnricheson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nuclear is unpopular as an energy source, as one has to do something with the plutonium as it is consumed, and if I remember correctly, the waste byproduct(s) is/are highly radioactive for DECADES...need to find a place to store it until such time as it it "safe enough" to store normally.
    And reprocessing the waste only turns it into something that can used only for creating MORE nuclear weapons, I vaguely recall...
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post Thanks / Like
    According to MIT Technology Review, nuclear power costs $92 to $132 per megawatt-hour generated, solar power comes in at $72 to $86 per megawatt-hour, and onshore wind at $37 to $81 per megawatt-hour. Power from natural-gas-fired plants is cheaper than either nuclear or solar at $61 to $87 per megawatt-hour, thanks mainly to gas derived from fracking in U.S. deposits. This makes natural-gas plants, rather than nuclear plants, the leading option.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

6. Thanks CenTexDave, just2cents, shawnricheson thanked this post
    Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    According to MIT Technology Review, nuclear power costs $92 to $132 per megawatt-hour generated, solar power comes in at $72 to $86 per megawatt-hour, and onshore wind at $37 to $81 per megawatt-hour. Power from natural-gas-fired plants is cheaper than either nuclear or solar at $61 to $87 per megawatt-hour, thanks mainly to gas derived from fracking in U.S. deposits. This makes natural-gas plants, rather than nuclear plants, the leading option.
    Would love to drill down into those numbers in the study,
    but don't have time to
    The cost for solar is quite a (huge) bit low, compared to the
    studies I did a few years back. Me-thinks, they fudged it.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just from memory, Three Mile Island is the reason no new nuclear power plants are considered or built. I still agree with that.

mat

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mat View Post
    Just from memory, Three Mile Island is the reason no new nuclear power plants are considered or built. I still agree with that.

mat
    After Three Mile, there was a nuke plant in Texas that was finished (Glen Rose).
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gnatsum View Post
    Nuclear is unpopular as an energy source, as one has to do something with the plutonium as it is consumed, and if I remember correctly, the waste byproduct(s) is/are highly radioactive for DECADES...need to find a place to store it until such time as it it "safe enough" to store normally.
    And reprocessing the waste only turns it into something that can used only for creating MORE nuclear weapons, I vaguely recall...
    Store it in California, Oregon, New York, and New Jersey...multitude of problems solved

11. Likes Night Owl, CenTexDave, Mestral liked this post
    LOL CenTexDave, Mestral LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The government wants to store it in Nevada and Nevada says, "Um, we don't produce this ####, why should we store it?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mat View Post

mat
    more folks were killed at chappaquiddick bridge than at three mile island......mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

14. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    LOL just2cents, Mestral LOL'd at this post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast