Thread: UMHB: Former Ellison star Carl Robinson III to start at QB for UMHB

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

UMHB: Former Ellison star Carl Robinson III to start at QB for UMHB

I am not surprised. He's going to be fun to watch.

UMHB FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Former Ellison star Carl Robinson III to start at QB for UMHB
    BELTON — Mary Hardin-Baylor has believed all season that its offense could be explosive. Now, the Crusaders believe they’ve found the guy to light the fuse.

Freshman quarterback Carl Robinson III will make his first start Saturday afternoon, when No. 1 UMHB (8-0, 7-0 American Southwest Conference) faces Louisiana College in Pineville, La.

The Ellison product would have started last week’s game at McMurry but sat out the first quarter after missing a meeting, according to UMHB coach Pete Fredenburg.

Once Robinson got on the field, he was 10-for-10 passing for 110 yards and rushed for 53 yards and a touchdown before giving way to third-stringer Tevin Muse midway through the third quarter of the Crusaders’ 62-0 rout.

“I think we have three good quarterbacks, and the competition makes them all better,” Fredenburg said Monday in reference to Robinson, Muse and sophomore Kyle Jones. “There’s just a difference right now with getting the ball delivered.

“Carl has a great release and makes quick decisions. Right now, he runs our offense better than anybody. He brings into play all of the things we want to do.”

Robinson will be the third player to start a game at quarterback for UMHB this season.

T.J. Josey, a junior, was in the spot for the first two games before moving back to his wide receiver position. Then, Jones took over for the next six contests, and now it’s Robinson’s job.

As for how the offense will change with Robinson at the helm, Fredenburg didn’t get into too many specifics.

“Carl has an incredible release and great arm strength,” he said. “We’re not going to have a myriad of reads and progressions. We’re going to give him a read, and then go to work. He’ll have some options.”

For the season, Robinson is 19-of-25 passing for 287 yards and two touchdowns without an interception.

To illustrate the freshman’s ability, Fredenburg mentioned a practice session during last week’s preparation for McMurry.

“Last week, I walked from one to drill to another one,” he said. “I asked our linebackers coach Jack Johnson how it was going, and he said not very good because (our defensive guys) couldn’t get a read on Carl.

“He throws the ball so quickly and his release is so quick that our guys had a difficult time breaking on the ball. That’s what he can do to a defense.”

2. Likes fchafey, CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if the Browns are scouting this guy..
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

4. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hope not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Robinson is good, but I was of the opinion that he liked to call his own number a bit too often if a receiver didn't magically pop up wide open..

That works in HS and maybe a little in college ball, but never in the pros. A few good hits to the knee and you get the next RGIII... Sad but true. Doesn't take long for a defense to figure this out either.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    In D3, going pro is not too realistic. They know that but some still work toward it. Usually go the Canadian route to gain experience. That's what Jerrell Freeman did and Teidrick Smith is there now. I expect him to make it to the pros someday. Javicz Jones is playing arena football now. He was fierce on defense when he was at UMHB.

Coach Fredenburg wants a QB to not only call his own number when necessary, but to have the ability to make things happen when he does. After watching him for a few games in Belton, it looks like he'll develop those skills nicely.

8. Likes CenTexDave, fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I hope he works out well and wish him and the Cru good luck... Which they seem to have an abundance of... Along with talent.

Of course, their coach is without equal.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

10. Likes Rick, CenTexDave, fchafey, yankeerunner liked this post