Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best breed of chickens for this area?

Post Thanks / Like

Best breed of chickens for this area?

I've decided that our lil' ol homestead out in the country has space for some chickens now that #1 son will be living there full time. I've raised them in cooler climates, but never anyplace this hot. Is there a certain breed that does exceptionally well in this area?
    "Recession is when your neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours. And recovery is when Barrack Obama loses his."

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always lived in Texas and used to have all different kinds of chickens. Any type chicken should do well as long as they have shelter, and plenty of water. They do need some sort of shade. Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds are good for eggs. http://www.idealpoultry.com/ This is in Cameron- not that far away. I have bought chicks and stuff from them in the past and was pleased with them. This site is good to learn about different breeds and since they are raised here in Texas they should all do well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beenateacher4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have always lived in Texas and used to have all different kinds of chickens. Any type chicken should do well as long as they have shelter, and plenty of water. They do need some sort of shade. Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds are good for eggs. http://www.idealpoultry.com/ This is in Cameron- not that far away. I have bought chicks and stuff from them in the past and was pleased with them. This site is good to learn about different breeds and since they are raised here in Texas they should all do well.
    I'm not in the market for chickens, but I sure enjoyed browsing Ideal Poultry's website. It's a pretty darn big business in Cameron. I had no idea. I wish I had a hugh stock pond and could get some ducks and geese! Very interesting info.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are some awesome prices. I'm going out this weekend and start on the house and coop along with a fenced run, so I'll give them a call and see what they have on hand. At that distance it's easier to just go pick them up.
    "Recession is when your neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours. And recovery is when Barrack Obama loses his."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We had Golden Sex Links and they were very productive. Laid very large eggs. I'll try to remember to post a picture of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    We got chicks from that place in Cameron and have lots of chickens now (only lost a few of the chicks). We have the red chickens and the black/white striped ones. They lay lots of eggs. We have eggs and chickens for sale. Email me at Tyronza@hotmail.com if you're interested in buying eggs or chickens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Be sure you do everything you can to make the chicken coop snake proof.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beenateacher4ever View Post
    I have nine total and get great eggs from both (Leghorns and Reds) daily. I ordered mine from Belton Feed and Supply.

This is where I also get my "infamous" pecans cracked.

9. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    LOL Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Infamous", what? Are they harder Night Owl's head? jf
    The secret to longevity is to eat a live frog first thing each day. Then nothing worse will happen to either of you all day.
    M.Twain

11. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Saddened by Night Owl is saddened by this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    Be sure you do everything you can to make the chicken coop snake proof.
    Mission impossible. Besides, loosing a few eggs in payment of the rat patrol is a small price to pay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast