View Poll Results: Should a full contact political debate thread be started?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that seems fair.

18 43.90%
  • No, censorship rocks!

8 19.51%
  • I don't care.

15 36.59%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Complaints?

Post Thanks / Like
    I was JUST about to pose that SAME question, bbh!

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bbh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That you've been called a "liberal moron," or that I can't multi-task????
    You're teachers, not being able to multi-task means you only do 20 things at once. (that's my way of bringing the teacher an apple)

But the way I have seen the, "Rush Limbaugh regurgitating wannabe conservatives" acting here, what with their complete lack of respect for my property, stealing the intellectual property of others, and other things, the "Idon'thavetodecideanythingjustletthegovernmenttell mewhat'sbest" liberal moron label, is almost welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will not vote in this poll because of the way the responses are worded and I don't see a need for it. I don't have a problem with what Rick/Scarlett normally do and they know that. We have our disagreements but that happens in life. I point out what I think is wrong and they either agree or disagree.

I post my thoughts in a public forum and do not expect everyone to agree with what I post. That is life. Do debates get heated, yes. Do I get called names, yes. Have I called names, Yes. Will it happen again? There is about 100% chance that it will happen again.

Have I ever complained to Rick or Scarlett, NO; and I never will. I will never ask someone else to take care of something I am completely able to take care of myself. I guess that is part of posting my beliefs, I know people will not always agree (even Scartlett and I agree on some things).

As for Rick being called a liberal. I when I read that. I would guess he has been called alot (just for Scarlett) worse in his life. I guess he could be one but from his normal posts I would put him right of center on most things, but I don't personally know him.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you, Night Owl. Well said.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not join this section of the forum. I think you already have a set up that works. It seems that there would be a limited few that would join this and they have the same views. If I can just predict the thread titles, "I hate Obama", "I hate Obama even more than you", "I hate Obama to infinity and beyond". Can't they just PM each other with their views? Spirited debate to me is exchanging of ides in a respectful manner. Calling each other names on an adult online forum is just creepy. I'm not subjecting myself or I think many others to paying for a forum that you have a minority view in and get bashed for it, that seems crazy and a form of self-hatred.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't they just PM each other with their views?
    Or set a time to use the chatroom and talk among themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Forum Rules and Pay to Say

Honestly, this whole thing of censorship and adding a "pay to say" thread is getting out of hand.

RICK OWNS THIS SITE! HE PAYS FOR IT WITH HIS TIME, HIS MONEY, AND HIS EFFORT. THEREFORE, HE CAN DO WHATEVER HE WANTS! If we don't like it, we leave or we get banned, that's that.

Here is an excerpt of rules from a (ridiculously successful) forum that I have frequented since 2002. They have a ton of rules that users respectfully follow mostly because they love the forum so much, they don't want to be banned for life!

And before anyone says it's a liberal/conservative forum, it's none of that!! It's a forum for everyone, just like CenTexTalk.

The rules in Red are pretty poignant to the ongoing issues here on CenTexTalk....

• Reposting something that was deleted: Posts (and links/threads) are removed for a reason. Reposting a deleted post, complaining about it in the thread, spamming the queue about it, or belaboring the point will result in action being taken. Reposting a deleted inline image as a link instead is generally acceptable as long as it falls within the posting rules. Posting or submitting links on behalf of someone else that was banned will in turn earn you a ban as well. The shorter answer is: Don't do it.

• Repetitive messages: Cross-posting, flooding, spamming, advertising for a website, etc. If there's a website out there that people need really need to see - or if you would like more exposure for your own - please use our Classifieds section (and gird your servers for the incoming traffic). In addition, including a sig file in your posts or a link to your site/blog/freeiPod referral page is also considered spamming, and comments containing them will be deleted. Using bots to post comments will result in a ban.

• Threadjacking and disruptions: Posts like 50 lines of the letter "Z," pictures that have nothing to do with the thread's article, "First Post/Page," "who cares," "**** sucks," posts that are unrelated to the thread topic, complaints about link quality, unedited non-original images in Photoshop threads, off-topic discussions in Photoshop/****tography/Audio edit threads, repeated filter evasion attempts, ban talk, and trolling (see below). Linking to sites that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Linking to sites that hijack the user's browser is considered to be exceptionally malicious and will result in a posting ban.

• Messages exhorting others to commit illegal acts: Murder, extortion, and any other misdemeanor or felony are expressly forbidden, especially threats on public officials. Don't even imply it. DoS attacks, hacking, flooding, and all other related computer crimes will be dealt with immediately and in fullest cooperation with local and federal law enforcement. Also, posting copyrighted software, music, etc. is forbidden (for example, linking MP3s of bands other than your own) as is discussion of illegal file sharing.
      • Also included in this is harassment -- for example, encouraging people to call someone on the phone, flood a website/mailbox, etc because they were mentioned in a linked article. (See also "messages containing private information" below.)

• Hate speech: Criticism is not hate speech, but inflammatory comments directed at a particular ethnic group, sexual orientation, gender, religion, etc. are unacceptable and unwelcome on ****.

• Messages containing public OR private information: We are aware that most of this information can be found using Whois, or Google, or a phone book - however, posts containing personal names, contact information such as: email addresses, phone numbers, street addresses, credit card numbers, etc. are not allowed.

• Trolling/harassing other **** members: Unfortunately, disagreements can and will happen - but there is no need for them to become personal. Don't harass other users with your posts, parody links/threads, or create accounts to harass them with.
      • **** accounts come with a handy Ignore Feature. Use it to filter out those posters whose comments you'd prefer not to read. Keep in mind that discussing who's on your ignore list is the opposite of ignoring. It crosses the line into trolling of other **** members and may result in a suspension of posting privileges.

• Trolling/harassing **** Admins and Moderators: **** does not tolerate abuse of its maintainers in comments, in submitted links, or via emailing them directly. If you have an issue with a particular Admin or Moderator, **** itself, or ****'s moderation practices in general - email Drew directly. The address is ******. He is always available. He may not be able to respond right away, but he will get back to you. The comments sections in the threads are not the place for airing grievances, mainly because no one person at **** reads all of the over 30 million comments on the site. With that much going on all at once, important things can be and sometimes are overlooked. The bartender can't get your drink order right if he can't hear you.

And it continues...there is an enormous page dedicated just to rules pertaining to what can and cannot be done/said on the forum.

In comparison to these rules, I think Rick has let certain CenTex users get away with a LOT!!
    Don't make assumptions about me based on one or two of my comments. I might surprise you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, secretary. I agree, we have let a certain person go on for too long.
    Rick knows my opinion on what to do about this...we met for lunch.
    Then I came home and read the latest rant...to which I received 2 messages about while I was at the mall...I have had enough.

I can easily sleep tonight without allowing this to go on any longer.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine

Post Thanks / Like
    I am probably the most even tempered person I know. Even I have grown weary of this. Phantom Warrior, it has been explained in nauseating detail why your question was deleted. The Administrators have explained that your post WAS NOT the problem, rather some of the responses were. If you are looking for more than that, give up your quest. You are not owed even as much as you have received. In continuing to push this, you are wearing on the good graces of OUR host's and the tolerances of your fellow posters.
    The secret to longevity is to eat a live frog first thing each day. Then nothing worse will happen to either of you all day.
    M.Twain

Post Thanks / Like

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast