Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dryer Vent Tube

Post Thanks / Like

Dryer Vent Tube

We have been in our house since March 2009 and the dryer vent tube that runs through the wall finally got partially closed up with the lint that escapes the filter. I started to see the "Dryer Vent Light" lit and asked the wife is that had been happening for a while. she replied what light? I love her......I have cleaned and replaced the reticulated vent and have cleaned the outside vent with flapper but have never seen lint accumulate along the ridge of the vent tube. I stuck a toilet brush in there and VOILA! it is clean and shiny and no more light.....just though I would share....stay tuned for next week when I discuss cleaning the sprinkler head filters....
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is the vent at my daughter's house. Since the laundry room is not on an outside wall, they vent it to the roof.

She said she hasn't had time to take care of it. She said she was going to get this from Amazon, but hadn't yet.

https://amzn.to/47tvmp7

I told her to try her lawn blower.

I'm probably going to have to go up there and do it.

3. Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    stay tuned for next week when I discuss cleaning the sprinkler head filters....
    I did that earlier this year for the spray only sprinklers - the ones that don't rotate. Made a huge difference.

This made a big difference, just to hold the head of the sprinkler up above the grass.
    https://www.amazon.com/Rain-Bird-PTC...000DCN9F8?th=1

I also used some ratcheting clamps, like these -
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/WEN/5013700079

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    I did that earlier this year for the spray only sprinklers - the ones that don't rotate. Made a huge difference.

This made a big difference, just to hold the head of the sprinkler up above the grass.
    https://www.amazon.com/Rain-Bird-PTC...000DCN9F8?th=1

I also used some ratcheting clamps, like these -
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/WEN/5013700079
    I knew I liked you....We have 46 sprinkler heads. 12 are 3/4 inch rotating, the other 34 are the round ones that spray 5, 10 15 feet, 45, 90, 180, and 360. I have a small flat tip with a slit bend in it that is perfect for lifting up the head. Anyway prolly 7-8 years ago we raised every head 1.5 inches and that made a huge difference as well as cleaning them.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

6. Likes kantwin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    This is the vent at my daughter's house. Since the laundry room is not on an outside wall, they vent it to the roof.

She said she hasn't had time to take care of it. She said she was going to get this from Amazon, but hadn't yet.

https://amzn.to/47tvmp7

I told her to try her lawn blower.

I'm probably going to have to go up there and do it.
    I would suggest removing the top and absolutely using the leaf blower....or take a shop vac and stick it in the hole in the bottom, use your hands to form the seal around it draw it all back down. When you go up there you might as well do the Christmas lights too...
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    ....stay tuned for next week when I discuss cleaning the sprinkler head filters....
    I thought you were talking about something along the same lines as changing your muffler bearings or topping off your blinker fluid!

This is the first house I've lived in with an irrigation system, so I'm learning as I go. I didn't know you had to do maintenance on your heads...or that there's tools. I just recently raised a few with the extenders that go underneath them, but that's about all I've done personally. I guess it's a good time to learn about these filters now.

9. Likes kantwin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Jeremy View Post
    I thought you were talking about something along the same lines as changing your muffler bearings or topping off your blinker fluid!

This is the first house I've lived in with an irrigation system, so I'm learning as I go. I didn't know you had to do maintenance on your heads...or that there's tools. I just recently raised a few with the extenders that go underneath them, but that's about all I've done personally. I guess it's a good time to learn about these filters now.
    The airport had a huge system and we spent a lot of time learning about spray types, widths, and controllers.... I have always had my controllers and distribution boxes well uncovered... as in making sure nothing is growing on top of them. This way if I have to call in repair folks, they don't have to "hunt" for them, which costs a bunch. I even have the ones that were disconnected turned off in the command center, which is mounted on a wall in my garage.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Jeremy View Post

Having a sprinkler system, my friend is like having a pet. My control box, after 15 years went Diva on me and did whatever the heck it wanted when it wanted. When i realized it was shot after some simple troubleshooting and a 345 dollar water bill, I replaced it, or should I say Gott Sprinklers replaced it with a neat one that I can use from my smartphone, and it was cheaper than an original replacement. If you edge, or have kids that ride their bikes near heads on the sidewalk, they move. Every so often run one section at a time and see what is watering where. Got a brown spot? no, not your drawers, the lawn...it isn't getting any water...yep, I advise you to give the irrigation system a name and treat it like a family member.....
    John Daly

12. Likes Shotgun Jeremy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dryer Vent Tube

A few years ago, I had to have a new septic field put in. The old one was in the back yard, so they had to run the line from the tank around the side of the house to the front yard.
    In the process, they ripped out pipes from 7 of the 8 zones on my sprinkler system.
    I spent a lot of time with a piece of all-thread poking around in the grass trying to find the valves. I knew were two of them were, since they were somewhat exposed. I found 4 of them all in a row in the front yard, which was good. The other one, I never did find, but I tied into the line coming from it.
    Over 280 feet of new pipe. But most of the digging was fairly simple, since they had all the grass ripped up, and my soil has a lot of sand and silt. It just took a long time.

Last edited by kantwin; November 27th, 2023 at 12:27 PM.

14. LOL sojourner truth LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We needed to find all the valves a while back, so I pulled the irrigation blueprints from the city. Go figure - they were completely wrong. We finally found the valves all spread around the house and in the most non-sense areas. I've been meaning to draw up some irrigation plans of my own. First,I need to take time and draw up prints of the plot.

I recently had a guy come in and adjust the heads where we had yellow spots. He mentioned it's a good service to have done about once a year, so that makes sense now that you mention the edging.

16. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast