Thread: Solar Screens

Post Thanks / Like

Solar Screens

In 2009 we put Solar Screens on our windows in our new house. Off and on over the years they have been removed and cleaned and reinstalled. The other day we took them off because we got tired of the cave like darkness they provide. I also really don't think they make all that big of a difference. Any of you here have them. do you like them? Do they make a difference? They do offer a little more privacy but.....thanks
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

2. Likes shawnricheson, Grasshopperglock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In 2009 we put Solar Screens on our windows in our new house. Off and on over the years they have been removed and cleaned and reinstalled. The other day we took them off because we got tired of the cave like darkness they provide. I also really don't think they make all that big of a difference. Any of you here have them. do you like them? Do they make a difference? They do offer a little more privacy but.....thanks
    We were just evaluating getting them. Glad you clarified it for us.

4. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have them on a couple of windows on the south side of the house.

Privacy as long as it's not night with the light on. Then, it's like they're not even there.

Lowering the temperature? I guess. I just walked outside a put an IR thermometer to them. The house siding is 100.7, the screen is 97.1.

Interior of the window is 81.7. With the AC going.

Conclusion, they don't block the cool air from leaving the house. As for blocking the heat from entering. You got me.
    Last edited by Grasshopperglock; May 22nd, 2023 at 1:38 PM.

6. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My wife ensures we are on a plan from TXU/Oncor. It is usually a couple of years long. We keep the comfortable at 72 when we are gone. Drop it down to 70 when we return and put the ceiling fans on. 68 at night. We use the dishwasher, washer, dryer, etc without a thought. Peak of summer 250ish for the electricity/250 for water (sprinkler system). I can deal with it. Peak of the cold, emergency heat as we have a heat pump around 250 for that bill. So I don't see the window screens being a super saver.....AND you are right about the nighttime and the lights on, can see in the window too easy....its just nicer in here now that they are off....
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

8. Likes Grasshopperglock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thick heavy privacy curtains has always been the go-to. The curtains like they have in a hospital. Cloth on the front with a white plastic looking liner on the back.

Curtains will do more then a screen.

10. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We cool to 77 or 78 and heat to 68.
    It?s comfortable for us.

12. Likes Grasshopperglock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am most comfortable at 74 for heat and 76 for cooling. My electric bill has been fairly low so far, but we aren't in the dog days of summer.... yet.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain