Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Golf courses (thread removed from KISD before Rick got mad and had to do it himself:)

Post Thanks / Like

Golf courses (thread removed from KISD before Rick got mad and had to do it himself:)

".Do you ever play Forest Creek or Teravista? Two of my favorite courses in this area..used to play Delaware Springs quite a bit ......My favorite course to play...without a doubt...Brackenridge in San Antonio. Have you ever played there?.... What's your favorite course in the area?......
    Don't guess you ever wager a little occasionally.. ??"

Now you have gone and done it....brought up golf courses. I could go on for days about this topic. I have been fortunate/blessed/lucky to have played almost every were public and quite a few private courses in Texas since the golf bug bit me in 1995........

didn't know Forest Creek was back open, was closed for quire awhile when the bottom fell out of the golf business around 2006/7, pretty challenging place. Used to host the Texas Open qualifiers there.

Brackenridge is indeed nice, but I liked The Republic, The Bandit in New Braunfels, and The Quarry, and The Buckhorn in Comfort when in that area to play.

Terra Vista is a people mill, the antennas are tacky, can hear them buzzing when playing.

Delaware Springs is nice and I used to play there a lot. They had irrigation issues out there some years ago and the fire department used to have to come out and water the greens. I am sure it has been fixed and a lot of houses now surround it as well.

I don't play for money any more, used to be a proud participant of the game, but when you learn from people who have been there and done that, it gets to be very awkward to correct people with math problems. I can and still do, quietly to myself account for every person in my groups score through the green. It is a habit one acquires to mitigate giving away money when there is a bet. There is one honest golfer I know and it is my wife, as she got tired of me correcting her when she got bit. It is a terrible habit to have, so I don't put myself in that position any more. I was warned that would happen. I also play the ball down. If I could play "winter rules", "Roll it a grip", I would probably take 3 or 4 more strokes off my game.

I absolutely respect the people that need to drink and play, the hit a second ball from the fairway, the mulligan or breakfast ball crowd, the 3 foot gimme crowd, whatever, have fun and enjoy your round.

My favorite place to play is Shadow Glen in Manor, Texas. From the Black set of tees, it is, to me a great test of where my game stands. The nines have been reversed there, so it is #6, a 223 yard par 3, I hit a 2 iron to 2 feet, on that hole in 2008. amazing feeling. Have tried to do it since and cant so now I play the Bronze tees, one set up. Much easier. Not getting any younger...
    Last edited by fchafey; August 13th, 2021 at 8:06 AM.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

2. Likes sickofpc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How thoughtful of you! But to be clear, I don't get mad when it happens. Sometimes, it's how things progress. To get mad because people post here would be stupid. What would be the purpose of the forum?

Now, the thing that turns people off the most is when topics turn to religion. Most people believe what they believe and they don't come here to be preached at and told that what they believe is wrong. There are a couple who do that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thoughtful_Fred.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	9319

4. Thanks sojourner truth thanked this post
    Likes madasheck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I need to get out and play some other courses. I seem to only play on Ft. Hood. I play on weekdays when it isn't busy as I am not a good golfer. I picked up the sport a few years back from my son. I am one that when I lose my ball, I just throw another one in the fairway and hit it again. I can usually play 12 or 13 holes before I start losing balls consistently. Then I know I am worn out and it's time to quit. I try to keep score but sometimes I can't remember how many strokes it took me. Maybe because it usually takes me 5-8 strokes to play a par 4. I don't really care about the score, I enjoy going out on the course and seeing the wildlife and the woods. Perhaps that's why I usually play alone.

6. Likes fchafey, Rick, sickofpc, Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sped1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I need to get out and play some other courses. I seem to only play on Ft. Hood. I play on weekdays when it isn't busy as I am not a good golfer. I picked up the sport a few years back from my son. I am one that when I lose my ball, I just throw another one in the fairway and hit it again. I can usually play 12 or 13 holes before I start losing balls consistently. Then I know I am worn out and it's time to quit. I try to keep score but sometimes I can't remember how many strokes it took me. Maybe because it usually takes me 5-8 strokes to play a par 4. I don't really care about the score, I enjoy going out on the course and seeing the wildlife and the woods. Perhaps that's why I usually play alone.
    And you are awesome. Ready golf, another in your pocket, just in case, and you are not the only one that gets ADD on the golf course. I was finally able to get my handicap to a 10, because for right now, I can pay attention for all 18, and play with the same ball.

As for getting out to other courses, when a lot of people were complaining about the greens, i saw the LPGA tournament that was held at The Colony. This place is semi private and on a lake. They had the flag on 14 right near where they had to repair the greens with the large octagonal plugger, instead of the little round plugger they use. It was then I realized that the Course of Clear Creek and Stone Tree's issues were common through out Texas.

On a side note, I work Saturdays at Clear Creek as a starter in the morning. I had a group from Stone Tree tell me that Killeen was undergoing their usual 20 year redo of fairways and greens. When I asked where they got that info from, they told me that is what management was saying. I replied, funny, I worked there20 years ago, and we didn't do that. Why cant people just be honest....
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

8. Likes sickofpc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How thoughtful of you! But to be clear, I don't get mad when it happens. Sometimes, it's how things progress. To get mad because people post here would be stupid. What would be the purpose of the forum?

Now, the thing that turns people off the most is when topics turn to religion. Most people believe what they believe and they don't come here to be preached at and told that what they believe is wrong. There are a couple who do that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thoughtful_Fred.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	9319
    Mad is a word I use like some people say "Coke". I needed a short word to fit in the title thread....I did have that whole big mess Tee'd up for that thread and thought, you know....it would be nice....As much as I loathe to read the religion stuff, because you know, I cant have unread threads, that wouldn't work for me, I imagine it is very cathartic to some to be able to talk about religion to somebody at the drop of a hat. In my short 6 years here, I have noticed some very devout people, political affiliation not with standing. Kinda of nice in a way to see some foundational behavior still exists. Happy Friday!
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to golf regularly, well, several times a month regularly.
    Right before I retired, I worked in an AC/RC unit, with 14 people in the BN HQ, and the SGM would often tell the BN Commander that he was going to take the NCOs out for some "NCOPD" in the afternoon, meaning we would go golfing. Once in a while, some of the officers would join us.
    In 2009, we moved back to Rucker, and I have played exactly one time since then, and that was when we took a trip back to Killeen a few months after moving here. A buddy of mine and I golfed at the Killeen course. My oldest daughter, who has a chromosome disorder, drove the golf cart into a tree. My buddy gives her grief about that whenever we talk. It is kinda funny.
    My big hobby now is cycling, as I've mentioned before.

11. Likes sickofpc, fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chafey, I haven't played several of the courses that you mentioned, but have played The Bandit..tough course for me. Have also played the Quarry, La Cantera, Silverhorn, and a couple of other courses in SA when my brother was alive, and we played a lot together. We used to play just about every weekend starting in the spring thru the summer. ......I have not played very much at all lately, I need to start again.
    ....With you playing the ball down, and playing as well as you do, you have my admiration. I still roll it, excusing that practice because of rough fairways, of course.....Golf is a great game for a lot of reasons...glad you enjoy it and envy you getting your handicap down like you have. That is really good.
    ....Sped, as long as you enjoy the game, that's the main thing. I"m like you, one of the reasons I do like golf so much, is being outside, seeing the scenery, the wildlife, ........just enjoying the course.
    Last edited by sickofpc; August 13th, 2021 at 9:41 AM.

13. Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Living in greater San Antonio metropolitan area I am familiar with many of golf courses you mentioned fchafey. You'll be sorry to learn that The Republic is no more...closed down during Covid. The Bandit and The Republic are/were managed by the Forsight Golf Course Management and they do a great job. When the CoK took bids on it's golf course I was really hoping that Forsight Golf would bid on the project and win because they do a really great job at managing courses. I've played Brackenridge several times but driving into downtown San Antonio is a pain these days and it's actually pretty expensive for a muni course. I play a lot out at Randolph Brooks AFB because their greens are always in great shape. I had a membership at Fort Sam Houston for a couple of years because they still have 2 18 hole courses. Unfortunately they really let the greens get bad, I mean fungus bad that killed off almost all of the greens, and they wouldn't rebate our membership fees or discount our renewal fees so I told them to shove it. That's when I started going out to Randolph. Leave it to the Air Force to outshine the Army. Besides, I can be at Randolph in 8 minutes. Another tough course is Olympia Hills, another muni course own by Universal City. Very challenging course if you have a slice or a hook lol...hit straight and long though and you'll love it.

On another note, I don't really mind if people drink while they're playing unless they do it to excess and ruin my round. Yes, that happened to me at Torrey Pines in San Diego of all places. I was out there for a golf vacation (sister and brother in law live in Rancho Sante Fe) and he wanted to show me Torrey Pines. We drove out there just to look, didn't even have our clubs with us, because we thought no way we could get a tee time (at the time, the North course was closed for renovations and only the South course was open). My brother in law goes inside and starts talking to a one of the assistant managers about us taking a golf cart for a few minutes to look at a couple of the iconic holes. The guy tells my brother in law that he can let us play 18 if we want. We're like really??? We don't even have our clubs but we live close by. He said go get your clubs but be back in 1/2 hour. Needless to say we hauled ass there and back. I mean come on, Torrey Pines was a bucket list course for me. So anyway, we get paired up with 2 other players, both singles. One of the guys was very cool but the other one was #### faced drunk. He was so drunk that he actually fell down a couple of times either teeing his ball up or retrieving it from the cup. It was just a miserable round of golf with him. To make it worse, we couldn't get away from him. We tried to just play fast and move to the next hole but there were waits at every tee box. The guy kept asking us if we were trying to ditch him and we said "yup."

Sorry for the massive wall of text but I do love my golf.
    Last edited by ExKilleencitizen; August 13th, 2021 at 12:34 PM.

15. Likes sickofpc, fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We used to drop the girls off Schlitterbahn and go play the Bandit. Fell in love with Foresight management and if they had taken over Killeen, that would have been great. Sad to hear about the Republic, course barely hanging on, got shwacked by covid. Greenbriar in Moody finally went belly up a few years ago, and of course Leon Valley went bust as well as the 9 holer in Heights many years ago. Pine Forest was closed for awhile in Bastrop, and I learned this weekend that Bear Ridge, Twin Rivers, in Waco is for sale again. Salado is having issues too.

Awesome you got to play Torrey Pines. I spent a year in Mesa, Az inspecting aircraft in 2000 fort the 21st Cavalry Brigade and one of the Boeing execs I was talking too learned I was a golf addict and he got me on the Phoenician and Grayhawk, both very private and really nice. I also played golf with Harold Hartz, the Police Chief of Phoenix in 2000, nice fellow. I guess the best story about Scottsdale was when I made an acquaintance with a councilman at the hotel bar and he introduced me to Jenna Jamison at a council meeting, back then she was investing a lot of money to spruce up the seedier side of Scottsdale and was one of the money partners in putting up for the "Pink Taco" restaurant. Mayor Mary Manross was beside herself with all of the blue hairs that were upset about it. Fun times.
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    That reminds me

Golf is like Sex
    You don't have to be very good at them to really enjoy yourself.

Johnny

18. Likes sojourner truth, sickofpc, madasheck liked this post
    LOL Ricky, fchafey, sojourner truth, sickofpc, gnatsum LOL'd at this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast