Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Olympics in Tokyo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That seems to be a common perception.
    Possibly an outgrowth of the "me" generation.

The thing is, people that are "triggered" by a flag need to work on themselves to overcome that. It is not society's responsibility to cater to your problems.
    Evidently, kids nowadays seem to think otherwise. It is all about me and instant gratification. This is why we see so many kids raised by grandparents. I am glad someone is raising them, but what happens next generation?
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This is why we see so many kids raised by grandparents.
    It's funny how your parents suddenly have money for McDonalds when your kids are around. They didn't have money for it when you were a kid. . .

3. LOL fchafey LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Used to be, to qualify for an Olympic team, one must first be an amateur athlete, not a professional who gets paid for playing. Now, the rules are set up so even NBA players can play for Olympic glory.
    Once was a time, that winning a Gold medal in the Olympics for the U.S. resulted in nothing more than a chance to appear on a box of Wheaties. Now...one can reap a lot of lucrative merchandising deals not offered to many pro OR amateur athletes.
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

5. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I can't believe my don't GAS attitude toward the Olympics this time. I sense because of the attitude of our athletes. They seem to me to be there for themselves, not as representatives of their country.
    Our oldest was being born in Feb 1988, and the wife was in Darnall and I remember cleaning the house for my parents inspection, I mean arrival to see their first grand child. On the TV was the winter Olympics and the announcers were talking up Figure Skater Debbie William so much, it was nauseating. I remember looking up at the tv and seeing Katerina Witt skating and thinking, boy I hope she wins...and wouldn't you know it Williams falls on her butt and Witt wins, anyway the announcers are so maudlin with American athletes its terrible. I really used to like the winter Olympics as a kid but I too really don't GAS any more about them.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

7. Thanks sojourner truth thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gnatsum View Post
    Used to be, to qualify for an Olympic team, one must first be an amateur athlete, not a professional who gets paid for playing. Now, the rules are set up so even NBA players can play for Olympic glory.
    Once was a time, that winning a Gold medal in the Olympics for the U.S. resulted in nothing more than a chance to appear on a box of Wheaties. Now...one can reap a lot of lucrative merchandising deals not offered to many pro OR amateur athletes.
    I remember Bruce Jenner on the Wheaties box, and I remember when they were amateur's and winning got them on the road to success.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Back on subject. I hope the US female soccer team loses every game in the Olympics.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

10. Thanks ExKilleencitizen thanked this post
    Likes ExKilleencitizen, sickofpc, Rick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too distracted by all the purple hair to guard the goal.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    It's funny how your parents suddenly have money for McDonalds when your kids are around. They didn't have money for it when you were a kid. . .
    Bill Cosby did a routine on that subject back in the '80s (Bill Cosby: Himself, on audio and video formats). One observation he had was that his parents were getting old, and the "favoritism" they were showering on his kids was an attempt to redeem themselves for how they raised him and his brother, and was a blatant try "to get into Heaven"--doing 'good deeds; before they die...
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post Thanks / Like
    Odd how this topic about the Olympics evolved into one about teaching.

Back on topic - The US Men's basketball team lost to the French.
    Awww.
    Too bad it wasn't further in the tournament.

14. Thanks ExKilleencitizen thanked this post
    Likes Night Owl, ExKilleencitizen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kant, ...analogy and similitude ?? .
    ..France beating the USA...shameful..in so many respects.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast