Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Suppressors are legal in Texas. Sep 1st.

Post Thanks / Like

Suppressors are legal in Texas. Sep 1st.

Oh my goodness. Texas gave a big middle finger to the feds.

To buy a suppressor the federal way. You walk into a gun shop. Lay down money plus an extra $200. You fill out BATF paperwork. 6 months later and if the feds say ok. The gun shop calls you and tells you to come get your property.

The fly in the soup is it's registered. Meaning you can't sell the suppressor unless the next guy goes through the same paperwork and wait time. Another thing is the fly took a crap in the soup. Meaning the BATF can show up at your house and legally demand to inspect your firearm accessory.

Texas is a 2nd amendment sanitary. Come Sep 1, 2021. Federal law doesn't apply on Texas soil. So not only can you freely buy a suppressor without the BATF paperwork. You can also make your own.

Here's a video on the subject showing the laws.

https://youtu.be/0abWKap3nK8

Here's where you can buy a 'solvent trap'.

https://www.preppersdiscount.com

If your heart desires to use a NAPA oil filter as a suppressor. Go for it after September the first. (Yes it most definitely works). Look for a barrel adapter for a NAPA oil filter # 24003. It'll be called a solvent trap. You know, it catches barrel cleaning fluid from dropping on the carpet.....Lolololol.
    Last edited by Grasshopperglock; July 9th, 2021 at 4:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another link for you guys.

https://solventtrapsdirect.com

Have some fun and enjoy your rights. The Texas way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's what a solvent trap adapter looks like. The male threads fit the NAPA oil filter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210709_162938.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	9277

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopperglock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh my goodness. Texas gave a big middle finger to the feds.

To buy a suppressor the federal way. You walk into a gun shop. Lay down money plus an extra $200. You fill out BATF paperwork. 6 months later and if the feds say ok. The gun shop calls you and tells you to come get your property.

The fly in the soup is it's registered. Meaning you can't sell the suppressor unless the next guy goes through the same paperwork and wait time. Another thing is the fly took a crap in the soup. Meaning the BATF can show up at your house and legally demand to inspect your firearm accessory.

Texas is a 2nd amendment sanitary. Come Sep 1, 2021. Federal law doesn't apply on Texas soil. So not only can you freely buy a suppressor without the BATF paperwork. You can also make your own.

Here's a video on the subject showing the laws.

https://youtu.be/0abWKap3nK8

Here's where you can buy a 'solvent trap'.

https://www.preppersdiscount.com
    I ordered my suppressor on April 26th. I figured with months of recovering from shoulder replacement was the perfect time to wait for the feds.

Funny how the government trusts me enough to have a security clearance, but I have to wait for a tool to help kill invasive hogs.

5. Likes Grasshopperglock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, other states legalized weed. That's a federal no no. They're doing the exact same thing as Texas. Except were doing it for gun "mufflers".

Hee Hee

7. Likes madasheck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's some info.

When you use a suppressor. The first shot will be the loudest. When the suppressor is cold. There's a smidge of oxygen inside it. The gases are fueled by that slight bit of atmospheric oxygen. Once it's used up. The sound level drops quite a bit. The sequential shot blast traveling behind the bullet are expelled in a zero oxygen atmosphere within the suppressor.

Using sub sonic ammo. Bullet speeds that are slower then the sound barrier. You avoid the sonic 'crack' when the bullet breaks that speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopperglock View Post
    Bullet speeds that are slower then the sound barrier. You avoid the sonic 'crack' when the bullet breaks that speed.

actually the sonic crack isn't audible anyway unless the shooter is firing at you and came pretty close, and even then you hardly hear it. The first time I ever heard it was back in the day when I was pullin' targets on a KD range......sounds more like a barber scissor snip than a "crack"....mac
    Last edited by mac; July 9th, 2021 at 11:29 PM.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

10. Likes sojourner truth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post

actually the sonic crack isn't audible anyway unless the shooter is firing at you and came pretty close, and even then you hardly hear it. The first time I ever heard it was back in the day when I was pullin' targets on a KD range......sounds more like a barber scissor snip than a "crack"....mac
    Mr Mac. There's three sounds. One is the hot expanding gases hitting the cold air outside the barrel. It's the physics of thunder. A suppressor works by allowing time for the gases to cool before hitting the air outside the barrel.

The second sound is the bullet breaking the sound barrier.

Not many people have heard the sound barrier crack because the expanding gases are first. The sonic boom is behind the bullet because it's moving faster then the sound. If you're using a suppressor with full speed ammo. The sonic crack can be heard about 15 feet from the muzzle.

The third sound. The bullet always makes a sound going through the air. Its flight causes friction with air molecules. Making a wizzing sound.

Nothing is truly "Hollywood silent".

Post Thanks / Like
    Use the Vito Corleone method and wrap a towel around the end of the barrel. Having had a bullet or 2 fly past me, I subscribe to the zip sound that happens. Or a Vhupp type noise. Once you hear that you know someone is trying to hurt you.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

13. LOL Grasshopperglock LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't go using a towel. It'll not only get you shot. It'll destroy accuracy.

If you stick a suppressor on. Don't think the zero will be the same. You can either re-zero the sights or clock the suppressor. Loosen it a 1/8 turn. Using washers to keep it tight. You don't need to go past 360 degrees. But some where in between is the sweet spot. Where mechanical harmonics are in sync. Then you can trust the zero between no suppressor and having it on. Same point of impact using either method.

Edit to add. If you have a quick change adapter. The adapter is what gets clocked on the barrel. Not the suppressor body to the quick change.
    Last edited by Grasshopperglock; July 10th, 2021 at 5:46 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast