Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy and Ammo

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Accuracy and Ammo

Someone on another forum is spouting some information, that I think my have been correct a long time ago, but I need some second opinions, from people who actually put a lot of lead downrange. (I got basic qualifying info and have watched others, but that isn't the same.)

How long ago did the army quit calling light machine guns "30 caliber" and start calling them 7.62?
    (I am guessing it was about 1975)

If someone can't do better than 3 MOA accuracy on a scoped, bolt action rifle, should he blame his ammo?
    (shooter said he was using "ball" ammo)

Is good hunting ammo considered "match grade" ?
    (I say that is two different things)
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are correct.,..mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    ... How long ago did the army quit calling light machine guns "30 caliber" and start calling them 7.62?
    (I am guessing it was about 1975)
    Since the M-14 was a 7.62 mm weapon when it was adopted by the Army in 1957, I'm guessing that the .30 cal. for all weapons using that ammo were redesignated.

If someone can't do better than 3 MOA accuracy on a scoped, bolt action rifle, should he blame his ammo?
    (shooter said he was using "ball" ammo)
    Sure, blame the ammo, you'll feel better. You should always zero your rifle with the same ammunition you will use. Of course once you have zeroed the rifle then you have to compensate with your point of aim depending on the difference between the range being fired from the range at which the rifle was zeroed.

Is good hunting ammo considered "match grade" ?
    Match ammunition has tight tolerances and strict quality control to make it more consistent and accurate than cheaper general-use ammo. If I were to hunt game at long ranges, such as prong-horned antelope or mountain goat, I would use match grade. For general Texas style hunting, general-use ammo should suffice. Just be sure to zero your rifle with the same ammo you will use for hunting.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Since the M-14 was a 7.62 mm weapon when it was adopted by the Army in 1957, I'm guessing that the .30 cal. for all weapons using that ammo were redesignated.
    OK, I knew it as a long time ago, just didn't know it was that long ago.

The guy I am discussing this with doesn't (yet) know there is a difference between
    the .308 cartridge and the 7.62x51, so I might be on a fool's errand. Maybe I should
    start talking about the 7.62x39 or the 7.62x54R, just to mess with him

Sure, blame the ammo, you'll feel better. You should always zero your rifle with the same ammunition you will use. Of course once you have zeroed the rifle then you have to compensate with your point of aim depending on the difference between the range being fired from the range at which the rifle was zeroed.
    Zero'ing and stuff is pretty elementary, but he maintains there is enough variation in 308 "ball" ammo to prevent accuracy better than 3 MOA. Again, I might be on a fool's errand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Military 'ball' ammo will only group 3"-4". That being the steel core.

I have a few thousand rounds of 5.56 and the best it'll do is 3" at 100 yards. Using a Timmey 1.5# trigger. 16" barrel, off the bench.

The problem is the rotational balance of the bullet. Nothing is matched either. Not in weight, case length, or powder charge. The assembly line military grade stuff just isn't accurate.

So I you're thinking it's you. It's not. Thinking it's the rifle. It's not. It's the ammo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Old Chinese proverb... "It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools".

The true test of any weapon or ammo is... does it do the job when needed.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to shoot the tacks that hold the paper target up.

1/4" at 100 yards x 4.

Hand loads matched to each other and a power charge matched to the barrel. FMJ.

Out the crate 5.56 NATO ammo? Yeah, good luck with that. 3" group around the outside of the tack. Bipod on a bench. Fine duplex scope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Be of the local indoor gun ranges had some range reload 9mm that every 5th round or so won?t fully eject due to low load of powder.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Lee Progressive 1000 reloader and if you go to fast it will do that with the powder. A good rhythm and one can do 200 rounds pretty quick, as 200 rounds is all the four tubes hold for 4o cal.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    Be of the local indoor gun ranges had some range reload 9mm that every 5th round or so won?t fully eject due to low load of powder.
    I would want to know who reloaded that ammo. 2% fail to fire is unacceptable, let alone 20%. What does that range do with Fail to Fire ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    I have a Lee Progressive 1000 reloader and if you go to fast it will do that with the powder. A good rhythm and one can do 200 rounds pretty quick, as 200 rounds is all the four tubes hold for 4o cal.
    How fast is "pretty quick? 7 minutes?
    I could see how too fast would be a problem, as the powder might not have time to drop into the case.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast