Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy and Ammo

Post Thanks / Like
    There are few fail to fire rounds, in my experience there.
    The ones that fail to eject do fire, but don't push the slide back far enough on my 92FS to fully eject the spent casing.
    The same reload rounds work well enough on my LC9, which is smaller and lighter, obviously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The ones that fail to eject do fire, but don't push the slide back far enough on my 92FS to fully eject the spent casing.
    The same reload rounds work well enough on my LC9, which is smaller and lighter, obviously.
    Look here,

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/bere...il-spring.html

Take notice of the poundage between recoil springs (Wilson Combat). Available from 16 pounds down to a 11.5#. To run those light loads takes the corresponding recoil spring. As to which one to use. That's on you and these gun range loads. Trial and error until it'll cycle like a sewing machine.

The spring that's in it. Will run defensive loads and NATO. Plinking it won't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopperglock View Post
    Look here,

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/bere...il-spring.html

Take notice of the poundage between recoil springs (Wilson Combat). Available from 16 pounds down to a 11.5#. To run those light loads takes the corresponding recoil spring. As to which one to use. That's on you and these gun range loads. Trial and error until it'll cycle like a sewing machine.

The spring that's in it. Will run defensive loads and NATO. Plinking it won't.

You understand, of course, that the recoil spring has absolutely nothing to do with recoil or how far back the receiver goes....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    You understand, of course, that the recoil spring has absolutely nothing to do with recoil or how far back the receiver goes....mac
    The slide determines how fall back the slide moves. As for recoil. The only thing that effects it is either more weight to the gun or a lighter powder load. Plus...

The job of the recoil spring is to allow the slide to fully cycle relative to the powder load. Too light of spring and the speed of the weight of mass that is the slide will have an effect on the feeling that's known as recoil.

There's a balance point. Able to cycle light loads. The slide speed is in check.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's why you choose the heaviest spring that'll cycle the given powder load. It'll function below that weight of spring but it'll wear the gun out. Practically beating it to ####.

That's also why everything comes with a more then heavy enough recoil spring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    Ahhh, my mistake.

Thanks for correcting me.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    I would want to know who reloaded that ammo. 2% fail to fire is unacceptable, let alone 20%. What does that range do with Fail to Fire ammo?

How fast is "pretty quick? 7 minutes?
    I could see how too fast would be a problem, as the powder might not have time to drop into the case.
    I can do 200 rounds in about 20 minutes. Anything faster and I jeopardize the quality. I get reloader ADD....
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    I can do 200 rounds in about 20 minutes. Anything faster and I jeopardize the quality. I get reloader ADD....
    OK, cool.
    I don't do reloading, as I have the philosophy that one should either DO reloading, or NOT do reloading.
    I don't have the time or inclination to do an obsessively perfect job, so I do NOT do reloading.

(I have the same philosophy with canning. Either of these things, done less than perfectly, can kill people.)

Part of your reloading setup is called "Progressive" so I was picturing a system that, once you set it up, would be somewhat automatic, but I had no idea how fast things like that are. I just looked at a video of its operation, and there is a bit more manual operation that I first imagined. 200 in 20 minutes would be a pretty good clip.
    Last edited by Mestral; April 25th, 2021 at 1:23 PM.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Hornady 'Lock n' Load'. Progressive reloader.

I've reloaded since my teens. I've had rounds not get a powder charge. Bullet(s) stuck in the barrel. Pop no kick. Which is easy to check. Just weigh the rounds. Either one by one or in lots. If one 50 round lot doesn't weigh the same as the others. Weigh each one until you find the light one. If a bullet gets stuck. Hammer it out using a cleaning rod.

I also have a couple of single presses.

If you want a machine that'll pump rounds out as fast as you pull the lever. 'Dillon'. Industrial grade ammo reloader. Also expensive. Something you don't need unless you're shooting hundreds of rounds a week....or a day.

As for being safe. Most definitely. It's rather easy. But if you style your hair with gorilla glue. Buy your ammo instead of reloading. I've never ever heard or seen someone get hurt from reloading. The biggest danger is primer going off as it's seated in the case. But that's also rather rare.

There's 10 pounds of smokeless powder in the closet. 4000 small rifle primers. 5000 bullets and the cases to make them.

You can really get into reloading as a hobby and you can get seriously good doing it. Hand loads that make factory look like a joke.
    Last edited by Grasshopperglock; April 25th, 2021 at 2:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    I would want to know who reloaded that ammo. 2% fail to fire is unacceptable, let alone 20%. What does that range do with Fail to Fire ammo?
    that many fail to fires sounds more like a primer problem than anything else to me. it's happened to me a couple of times........mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast