Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: COVID and KISD info not quite timely OR transparent...

Post Thanks / Like
    Next step is year-round schools, which some people accept. Not as popular in areas with a lot of agriculture (need the kids in the fields to help the harvest..) or in hotter parts of the country (districts with some un-airconditioned schools still being used, or don't want to pay the higher energy bills).
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gnatsum View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Next step is year-round schools, which some people accept. Not as popular in areas with a lot of agriculture (need the kids in the fields to help the harvest..) or in hotter parts of the country (districts with some un-airconditioned schools still being used, or don't want to pay the higher energy bills).
    Bet the teachers unions love the idea though. Not that union leaders have to actually teach a class or anything. Reminds me of what my wife used to tell me about in service training. Going to boring long lectures about how to teach given by experts who haven't seen a classroom in 20 years, if ever.

Chicago seems to be the leader of the pack when it comes to not wanting to go back to work without squeezing everything they can out of the government.
    We have met the enemy and he is us... POGO

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are something else. The issue of year around schools was on the burner a long time ago. Nobody likes the idea of year around schools now,.. including "union leaders", none of whom I have ever known or listened to.., along with students or teachers.
    The idea that teachers get three months off in the summer is a fallacy to begin with.
    ST, I agree with your wife about in-service training. Every year admin would come up with some great new program or programs, methods to teach, that would be the know all end all of effective teaching and kids learning. ...The main problem I had was it seemed to be something different every freakin year. Every year.
    Once again, as I have said before, unions in Texas are not like unions up north in places like Illinois or Wisconsin. ...Local unions, in some big cities like Austin, sometimes have some influence and power, but...as a general rule in Texas, no. The main, usually only, reason teachers join unions in Texas is for the liability insurance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am fully aware of what a teacher has to go through each summer. My wife spent most of her "summer off" preparing for the next school year. But it does make me wonder when teachers will do when that prep time is reduced to zero.

And, like I said, the teachers unions in Chicago and LA are posturing for the most benefits and money they can get. And they tend to make the rest of them look pretty bad. I normally don't like making generalizations about any group of people, but I do have experience with unions. And once they get what they want, they go for more until the people they represent price themselves out of a job, and then the union heads just move on to represent another group.
    We have met the enemy and he is us... POGO

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by olderthandirt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Numbers are spiking across the district. The "tracker" seems very misleading, not giving a clear representation of active cases (school board members even questioned this incomplete data last evening). I fear for the safety of our students and staff.
    When students get sent home, they are made remote so if they test positive, it won't count in the numbers. That's why numbers appear low.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4