Page 65 of 74 FirstFirst ... 15 55 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Election Discussion

Post Thanks / Like
    The lefties are heavy into studying section 3 of the 14th amendment now. Trying their best to erase the possibility of a Trump return. I have never seen people hate and fear another person as much as liberals hate Trump.

Almost as the same way I feel about Hillary or Pelosi, I suppose. The hatred is for what they stand for and what they want for us, and the fear is for their ability to get it done with the power they have.
    We have met the enemy and he is us... POGO

2. Thanks madasheck thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just so we're clear -
    Does sending pallets of cash to Iran, a known enemy of the US, count as giving aid or comfort?

4. LOL madasheck LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The lefties are heavy into studying section 3 of the 14th amendment now. Trying their best to erase the possibility of a Trump return. I have never seen people hate and fear another person as much as liberals hate Trump.

Almost as the same way I feel about Hillary or Pelosi, I suppose. The hatred is for what they stand for and what they want for us, and the fear is for their ability to get it done with the power they have.
    I wouldn't worry too much. The Dems have the slimmest of majorities. Biden has already quieted some of the lefties, as well. I remember when everyone said Obama was coming for our guns. Never happened. Obama was gonna flood the borders - didn't happen. In fact, Obama got more flack for being the "Deporter in Chief" from the left. Obamacare was a giveaway to the insurance companies, if you didn't notice. It was a rehash of Nixon's plan.

In an earlier post, I said Mitch would find a way to kill the $2K stimulus check, while overriding the defense funding veto. Chuck is not going to be able to get past Mitch on convincing Republicans to go along with crap.

The entire nature of DC is to give corporate entities what they want - it's just how it gets spun. Corporations fund way too many politicians. I do NOT believe that corporate entities or other groups are "persons" for purposes of electioneering. IMHO, the Citizens United case was wrongly decided.

Until we get term limits and transparency in funding, this will remain.
    Last edited by txswimmer; January 12th, 2021 at 1:49 PM.
    "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets" - Mathew 22:37-40 (KJV)

6. Likes gnatsum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by txswimmer View Post

I'm dead against this Term Limits business or anyone telling me who I can or can't vote for. also
    dead against having to tell anyone what I spend my money on or who I support!

Sometimes I think I'm the only old school type Republican left on the farm.....we need another Calvin Coolidge...mac
    Last edited by mac; January 12th, 2021 at 5:43 PM.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're going to camp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by txswimmer View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much. The Dems have the slimmest of majorities. Biden has already quieted some of the lefties, as well. I remember when everyone said Obama was coming for our guns. Never happened. Obama was gonna flood the borders - didn't happen. In fact, Obama got more flack for being the "Deporter in Chief" from the left. Obamacare was a giveaway to the insurance companies, if you didn't notice. It was a rehash of Nixon's plan.

In an earlier post, I said Mitch would find a way to kill the $2K stimulus check, while overriding the defense funding veto. Chuck is not going to be able to get past Mitch on convincing Republicans to go along with crap.

The entire nature of DC is to give corporate entities what they want - it's just how it gets spun. Corporations fund way too many politicians. I do NOT believe that corporate entities or other groups are "persons" for purposes of electioneering. IMHO, the Citizens United case was wrongly decided.

Well, that slim majority is enough when you own all 2 of the 3 branches of government. Not sure term limits would do much good either, as interested entities seem to find political candidates who will take their money without much problem.

And your comments on deporter in chief bring to mind one aspect of the Trump administration that I liked and supported. The building and expansion of the border wall. Obama may have been dogged by democrats for not opening the borders, but he did, and allowed the folks already here an automatic pass to stay even when discovered. What the left wanted was mass illegal immigration, without checks or balances, and without consequences for violation of immigration law. Their big complaint was too little too late as usual. The age old cry of the democrat who isn't given immediate control of anything and everything.

I suppose what disturbs me the most about the recent democrat tendencies are their opinions of their own superiority and "rightness" on all issues, and that anyone who disagrees is mentally deficient in some way. It is demeaning, disgusting, and, yes, downright un American.
    We have met the enemy and he is us... POGO

10. Likes gnatsum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to propose amendments that will impose fiscal restraints on the federal government, limit the federal government's power and jurisdiction, and impose term limits on the federal government's officials and members of Congress, then you have to join the fight for a convention of states under Article V of the US Constitution. Texas has already signed on for the Convention of States. Alternatively, the states may call on Congress (the fox in the hen-house scenario) to form a constitutional convention to propose amendments. In either case, at least two-thirds of the states (34 states) must make the request.
    "God is the difference between Republicans and Democrats."

12. Thanks txswimmer thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that a constitutional convention is a dangerous path.
    Once you crack open that method of altering the Constitution, anything goes. And I mean, goes.
    There are enough loonies in power that would bargain away some of the Bill of Rights.
    A straight up convention of states method of amending the Constitution would be safer, in that regard.

14. Thanks txswimmer thanked this post
    Likes gnatsum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read several articles yesterday about a few Democratic representatives testing positive for COVID.
    They all said that it was because they were in the "safe room" with other members of congress.
    They allege that they are now COVID positive because some Republican members of congress refused to wear a mask.
    Not a single one of the articles I read mentioned whether or not the Republican members of congress are or were COVID positive.
    Not a single one of the articles even mentioned that.
    Not one.
    Every article you read over the last few months about allegations of election fraud made sure to mention that "there is no credible evidence" blah blah blah. Every article made sure to inject that statement.
    Yet, every article about the allegations of how these members of congress became COVID positive states the allegation, with no credible evidence.
    And every article omits the information about the COVID status of the maskless representatives.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know that I would advocate for a constitutional convention. We haven't had one in awhile. I agree it's too dangerous. You will have people monkeying with the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th amendments. But, proposing term limits and finance reform as amendments would just allow the States, individually, to consider the same. Of course, it will take people with with brass cojones (or brass ovaries, ladies) to sponsor and pass those out of Congress. They would be limiting their own potential (for harm) by limiting their work as elected reps.

mac makes the argument against term limits by saying that they would prevent him from voting for whom he wanted. I would just point out that it doesn't prevent a vote for someone, it just disqualifies someone from running for office after their term limits. We already have lots of reasons why people can't run (like too young, or not a citizen, or not a citizen long enough). Not everyone has a right to be on a ballot. I find it hilarious that we don't have a prohibition against the insane from running, but I digress.

I am torn on finance reform. I don't care how much an individual human person contributes - it's their money. Just need transparency in a campaign. If Soros wants to give $1 million to Cruz (LOL), fine. It just has to be reported. On the other hand, non human "entities" should not be allowed to contribute, and PACS should be forced to open the books to see if Soros is funding Cruz or AOC. If I don't want people to know who I have contributed to, then I can choose not to contribute.
    "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets" - Mathew 22:37-40 (KJV)

Page 65 of 74 FirstFirst ... 15 55 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast