Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Paws in Paradise

Post Thanks / Like
    We had our last fur baby cremated and scattered her ashes at the same place where I found her. I have had to have 2 dogs euthanized, and had to go and have it done by myself. It was very hard, as they are family just like any kid you have that you love and care for.

My wife can't handle things like that. One of the dogs I had euthanized had a stroke, and the vet said he would never be right again. When he died, the vet said they would dispose of him in the usual manner... Which meant in the dumpster, I discovered later. That is when I decided to look at other alternatives. I don't care if it was an animal. No being deserves to be simply disposed of like that. And, that was the last time I used that vet too.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

2. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Likes xzochye liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am sorry for the loss of your pup.
    My life also is but a series of dogs...

4. Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our current dog is getting very old. My wife and I are too, and have already decided that we will not get another one when she goes. Of course, that is what we said last time, but this time I think she means it.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

6. Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I lost my first German Shepherd to cancer when he was seven years old. I could tell you stories for the next hour about what a great, intelligent dog he was, and all of the things he did. I always said that if you could find more friends, like him.... He never lied to me, stole from me, tried to make me unhappy, was always my close friend, and protector.. ...If I came home and felt bad, he would try to make me feel better,..if he couldn't, .. he would put his big head on my hand, when I sat down in my recliner, and look up at me with those big brown eyes, and just be there for me. I'll swear he was soo smart.
    I always called him my two step dog, because when I opened my door, I would have him by the chain around his neck, but everyone..would take at least two steps back. Of course, Bo wasn't going to do anything, unless I was threatened...but people were naturally wary of him, especially with him weighing 130 lbs.... If someone was my friend, he was Bo's friend, also. Whether it was a baby, woman, or man, Bo knew how to act around them. He could be very friendly,caring, and loving....but, I also knew he would have died for me if necessary.. .....I still remember how the neighborhood kids would come over and ask if they could play with Bo during the summer. I would let him go out (he knew to never get out of our yard or in the street), and the kids would play catch or chase with him. When he got tired of playing, he would come to the door and either bark once or scratch on the door. They usually wore him out.
    To make a long story short, when Bo got cancer, I spent almost three thousand dollars on him, trying to save him, trying ever way possible,but nothing worked. When he finally went down, I knew I just couldn't leave him at the vet's to have it done....Dr. Buckley
    told me he would come over to my home, and we could put Bo down there if I wanted....
    When it was time, ..my mother and dad came down from East Texas, and my brother, from San Antonio, to be with me and my wife when we put Bo down.... Up until the time Dr. Buckley put the needle in his leg, I wanted to tell him to stop, there must be some way we could save him, but..I knew there wasn't. ... ...I layed Bo down in his favorite spot by the stairs, for a couple of hours with my family there. ..Then, Dr. Buckley came over.... and gave him the shot, with me holding Bo. Then he carried Bo's body to his truck. I have always appreciated Dr. Buckley for caring the way he did... My wife wanted to have Bo cremated, so that is what we did.We have his ashes in an urn on the mantel.... ......I have lost dogs before, but never one like Bo.... It took me over two years before I could even think about getting another puppy. .
    I have had some good ones since, but never one quite like Bo. He was the special one, my friend.
    Last edited by sickofpc; October 30th, 2020 at 8:42 PM.

8. Likes Night Owl, fchafey, The321 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have had many pups. I call all dogs pups regardless of their age or size. We lost our cocker spaniel years ago. We got him here at Hood and he went to Sill, Germany and Virginia with us. We lost him to heart failure and he is buried in Virginia. Then we got a Sheltie (Major) and rescued another Sheltie (Baron) and they both died at home and we had them cremated. Our next pup was a duchhund (Duke) and we rescued another duchhund (Freckles). We recently lost Duke to heart failure. Still have Freckles and we got a female duchhund (Rosie). Pups are great companions and I still remember and love all of them. Losing a pup is heartbreaking, but our lives are better with them being in our family.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

10. Likes fchafey, sickofpc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry Fred. It's never easy saying goodbye to a pet.

12. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our current dog is getting very old. My wife and I are too, and have already decided that we will not get another one when she goes. Of course, that is what we said last time, but this time I think she means it.
    Maybe consider a senior pet or a hospice pet that is in a shelter.
    VOTE Rainwater and Snyder!!

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, our old girl dog is hardly able to walk, and it appears it is almost time to release her from her pain. I can only hope and pray that there is a place that our vet (Stagecoach) has that can take care of her remains when and if the time comes. She would be 12 years old on the 24th, which coincidentally the date for her next exam.

I am not looking forward to consoling the wife.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear that. Dr. Mastropietro (Christina) from Stagecoach took care of our little girl last year. She came to the house to do it.

She boards her horse here so we've known her for years.

Sadly, I think her last day was last week, since they are moving to Florida, but I'm sure the other vets are just as compassionate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful afternoon. I'm walking mine.

Both have the grey hairs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast