Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tom Herman, UT football coach, in serious trouble

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Herman, UT football coach, in serious trouble

University of Texas football coach Tom Herman is in serious trouble with wealthy alums. Last week, only three players stayed for the singing of The Eyes of Texas after the OU game...UT has made a lot of changes to it's supposedly racist culture on campus, but....alums have already let it be known that UT is keeping that song, even tho to some, it supposedly has a racist history. Herman has "asked" the players to stay for the song just to show appreciation to the fans, if nothing else. The alums, along with the administration, believe that Herman should have told the players to stay, rather than "ask".
    That, along with the possibility of the Longhorns going 5-5 this year, when much more was expected, is upsetting a lot of wealthy alums, who seem very ready to buy out Herman's contract for 35 million dollars,..... along with his assistant's contracts, after this year, if they believe that is what is needed.
    If you are a UT coach or administrator, you do not want to upset UT's wealthy alums. Ever.
    Last edited by sickofpc; October 14th, 2020 at 11:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say that goes for any Div 1 coach in a power school. Since we are talking about the Longhorns though, Mack Brown seems to be doing just fine in North Carolina....If the alums get Herman fired he will turn up elsewhere pretty quick. A 35 million buy out is pretty nice aspirin for the headache.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to believe Brown gave up his cush, lucrative announcer's job to get back into coaching...especially at his age.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't it be EASIER to remove the "offending" players from the team in the first place, rather than put up with the BS for the entire season?!? Just have the Athletic Department send out a press release after notifying the NCAA, that the player was released "after an investigation" and the player's "refusal to follow team/coaches' rules". Maybe put the player on "suspension" for a week or two...or are some players "too valuable" to bench? They can't all be on scholarships, can they?
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post Thanks / Like
    gnatsun, yes, they can....What you propose is completely unrealistic, especially in today's litigious society. Doing what you propose would be a
    death knell for a university's athletic programs.

Besides the PR nightmare, a university would not be able to recruit the skilled players they would want. That would lead to losing, and losing is not what colleges are about.

6. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sickofpc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    a university would not be able to recruit the skilled players they would want. That would lead to losing, and losing is not what colleges are about.
    And therein lies the problem. Universities should be first most, is higher education. Nothing more, nothing less. Less than 1% of students in universities are involved in organized athletics.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

8. Thanks sojourner truth thanked this post
    Likes sojourner truth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    gnatsun, yes, they can....What you propose is completely unrealistic, especially in today's litigious society. Doing what you propose would be a
    death knell for a university's athletic programs.

Besides the PR nightmare, a university would not be able to recruit the skilled players they would want. That would lead to losing, and losing is not what colleges are about.
    Absolutely correct. Single out a minority and you wouldn't have to type a resignation letter, you would probably need a lawyer for the civil suit.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

10. Likes sickofpc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Owl, you definitely have a point. That is the way it should be, but it is not the way it is.

Most major universities are about good PR, recognition, and money.
    One wealthy UT alum said that he is afraid that if the football program is not made right this year, and Herman doesn't get things straight, the University could lose up to 20 million dollars from wealthy alums not giving like they usually give.

I know that is hard to believe, but. ..I remember when I was living in East Texas, a couple that lived close to me donated 15 million dollars to SMU toward some building that SMU was going to have. Found out that they had already donated close to 10 million.

Drayton McLane gave over 35 million dollars toward the construction of McLane Stadium, home of Baylor's football team.
    He has given millions more to Baylor over the years, as well as giving a lot to Michigan State.
    I guess you can do things like that when you have a personal net worth of over 2.1 billion dollars.

T. Boone Pickens gave over 165 million dollars to Oklahoma State in one donation.

Think those benefactors have a little influence ?
    Last edited by sickofpc; October 14th, 2020 at 5:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Owl, you definitely have a point. That is the way it should be, but it is not the way it is.

Most major universities are about good PR, recognition, and money.
    One wealthy UT alum said that he is afraid that if the football program is not made right this year, and Herman doesn't get things straight, the University could lose up to 20 million dollars from wealthy alums not giving like they usually give.

I know that is hard to believe, but. ..I remember when I was living in East Texas, a couple that lived close to me donated 15 million dollars to SMU toward some building that SMU was going to have. Found out that they had already donated close to 10 million.

Drayton McLane gave over 35 million dollars toward the construction of McLane Stadium, home of Baylor's football team.
    He has given millions more to Baylor over the years, as well as giving a lot to Michigan State.
    I guess you can do things like that when you have a personal net worth of over 2.1 billion dollars.

T. Boone Pickens gave over 165 million dollars to Oklahoma State in one donation.

Think those benefactors have a little influence ?
    What ever happened to education first?

Major college teams are the minor leagues for professional sports. A great example from teasip U is Earl Campbell. A great running back but dumber than a rock. A friend of mine went to TU with Campbell and he was in some classes with Earl and tutored him in English and History. He said Campbell couldn't write a complete sentence to save his life and never opened his history book. Wonder how he earned his degree? My guess he earned it on the gridiron and not in the classroom. Universities are in the business of making money and nothing else.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gnatsum View Post
    Wouldn't it be EASIER to remove the "offending" players from the team in the first place, rather than put up with the BS for the entire season?!? Just have the Athletic Department send out a press release after notifying the NCAA, that the player was released "after an investigation" and the player's "refusal to follow team/coaches' rules". Maybe put the player on "suspension" for a week or two...or are some players "too valuable" to bench? They can't all be on scholarships, can they?
    Hell, UT had a player quit...walk off the field...in the 3rd quarter of a game earlier this season...pissed because his sense of entitlement dictated that he have more playing time...literally quit the team and walked out of the game...and UT let him back on the team 2 days later. I'd have told that SoB good luck frying burgers at McDonald's cause he ain't ever playing football again.

14. Thanks Night Owl thanked this post
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast