Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tom Herman, UT football coach, in serious trouble

Post Thanks / Like
    EX, I agree with you. If that player would have quit like he did, and I was the coach, I most likely would have told him that he was through (don't think I would have told him about frying burgers, however, for several reasons)...but, in all probability, the guy you are talking about would have been able to play football again, transferring to another school to play , on scholarship, the following year.
    Owl, I agree with you about some things, ..others, not so much. I do think most major colleges do put education first for the vast majority of students, ..but, with some athletes, at some universities...not so much, to put it mildly. Most colleges are not just minor leagues for the pros, but many D 1s are considered like that.
    Concerning Earl Campbell, I always heard that he had a 5th grade reading level when he went to UT, and I tend to believe that. I do know that he had tutors, his class choices were carefully chosen, and it was understood that he was never going into rocket science, to put it mildly. There were the jokes about pencil sharpening 101 and basket weaving 203 being part of the athlete's class schedules at UT. ......I am pretty sure that no professor at UT would have liked to have been the teacher, or one of the teachers, to fail Cambell...Him being helped to get through UT academically is not looked on kindly by many people, I'm sure, but...he has since become a millionaire, several times over. He built his mother a beautiful home between Tyler and Lindale next to the shack, and I mean shack, where he grew up. He brought millions of dollars to UT, national recognition,and a great amount of positive PR, as well as bringing in many highly sought after football recruits to UT. His PR value alone was worth millions to UT. He may not have been a Rhodes Scholar, but you would have to say his life was very successful, along with many people that he had a very positive influence on....His sausage,alone,has probably made him a ton of money. ....I have met Campbell and talked with him a couple of times. He always was very nice to talk with, but...he is paying the price now, as he is almost completely crippled.
    When I was in high school, as a sophomore,... believe it or not, I was asked to tutor a very good senior player we had in math, to help him pass the class he was taking. He passed the class, stayed eligible , ended up going to the University of Miami, and played a couple of years professionally. He, like Campbell, was never going to be a rocket scientist, but he did have a skill set that ended up making him very successful. He was a very nice guy, a good husband, father, and a good Christian man, until his death about three years ago.....He was never an academic all-star,but he was very successful in life.
    Last edited by sickofpc; October 15th, 2020 at 4:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sickofpc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Owl, you definitely have a point. That is the way it should be, but it is not the way it is.

Most major universities are about good PR, recognition, and money.
    One wealthy UT alum said that he is afraid that if the football program is not made right this year, and Herman doesn't get things straight, the University could lose up to 20 million dollars from wealthy alums not giving like they usually give.

I know that is hard to believe, but. ..I remember when I was living in East Texas, a couple that lived close to me donated 15 million dollars to SMU toward some building that SMU was going to have. Found out that they had already donated close to 10 million.

Drayton McLane gave over 35 million dollars toward the construction of McLane Stadium, home of Baylor's football team.
    He has given millions more to Baylor over the years, as well as giving a lot to Michigan State.
    I guess you can do things like that when you have a personal net worth of over 2.1 billion dollars.

T. Boone Pickens gave over 165 million dollars to Oklahoma State in one donation.

Think those benefactors have a little influence ?
    I don't think you can put Mclane in the same class as these "boosters/amumni". While he supports athletic programs by funding stadiums at local colleges, (I think he paid for UMHB's stadium), he also provides for educational programs. He sponsors business programs at UMHB and while I was a student there, I benefited from some of those seminars and conferences.

He is a businessman and wants to have some input into education since he knows what people need to know when they graduate so they can go work for him.

3. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    EX, I agree with you. If that player would have quit like he did, and I was the coach, I most likely would have told him that he was through (don't think I would have told him about frying burgers, however, for several reasons)...but, in all probability, the guy you are talking about would have been able to play football again, transferring to another school to play , on scholarship, the following year.
    Owl, I agree with you about some things, ..others, not so much. I do think most major colleges do put education first for the vast majority of students, ..but, with some athletes, at some universities...not so much, to put it mildly. Most colleges are not just minor leagues for the pros, but many D 1s are considered like that.
    Concerning Earl Campbell, I always heard that he had a 5th grade reading level when he went to UT, and I tend to believe that. I do know that he had tutors, his class choices were carefully chosen, and it was understood that he was never going into rocket science, to put it mildly. There were the jokes about pencil sharpening 101 and basket weaving 203 being part of the athlete's class schedules at UT. ......I am pretty sure that no professor at UT would have liked to have been the teacher, or one of the teachers, to fail Cambell...Him being helped to get through UT academically is not looked on kindly by many people, I'm sure, but...he has since become a millionaire, several times over. He built his mother a beautiful home between Tyler and Lindale next to the shack, and I mean shack, where he grew up. He brought millions of dollars to UT, national recognition,and a great amount of positive PR, as well as bringing in many highly sought after football recruits to UT. His PR value alone was worth millions to UT. He may not have been a Rhodes Scholar, but you would have to say his life was very successful, along with many people that he had a very positive influence on....His sausage,alone,has probably made him a ton of money. ....I have met Campbell and talked with him a couple of times. He always was very nice to talk with, but...he is paying the price now, as he is almost completely crippled.
    When I was in high school, as a sophomore,... believe it or not, I was asked to tutor a very good senior player we had in math, to help him pass the class he was taking. He passed the class, stayed eligible , ended up going to the University of Miami, and played a couple of years professionally. He, like Campbell, was never going to be a rocket scientist, but he did have a skill set that ended up making him very successful. He was a very nice guy, a good husband, father, and a good Christian man, until his death about three years ago.....He was never an academic all-star,but he was very successful in life.
    Where is the integrity at D1 universities? Passing students to benefit the school, looking the other way so a player can play even when those players have committed crimes. Yes, many athletes go on and make millions but how many are really successful? Not many.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

5. Likes Rick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Helping athletes with their degree plans, their schedules, tutors, and their professors is much, much different than condoning criminal behavior. I would never condone coaches excusing or keeping players that commit criminal offenses. Two very different subjects. .I did know of one college coach that covered for and excused three athletes in one year that were involved in criminal offenses. It was the main reason he lost his job at the end of that year.
    Where do you get that many athletes go on and make millions of dollars, but....not many "are really successful"? That is just not a true statement. Most of the football players, as well as the other athletes I knew in college, turned out to be very sucessful people. Many athletes have the qualities that help make people successful.
    Last edited by sickofpc; October 15th, 2020 at 1:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    Where is the integrity at D1 universities? Passing students to benefit the school, looking the other way so a player can play even when those players have committed crimes. Yes, many athletes go on and make millions but how many are really successful? Not many.
    To some degree there is difference in opinion as to what constitutes "success" and who is "successful." No matter what the level of success in life, if I end up in hell then I am unsuccessful.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Earl Campbell also has his face and name on some sausage maker's products, if he doesn't actually own that company. Pretty good sausage, too. Hope it gives him a cash flow beyond his NFL pension.

And to reference T. Boone Pickens' support of colleges--he doesn't just throw money at the athletic program, he also supports the education side, too. Isn't his name on OSU's Business or Engineering School, too?
    Also, I read somewhere that his name if referenced at Texas A&M as "Texas A&M's BIGGEST Mistake in History". Seems that he was there on a basketball scholarship, and the school for some reason, decided to cancel his scholarship. He left A&M and College Station for a greener pasture. Some Aggies believe that IF had stayed at A&M long enough to graduate, ALL of that money that went to OSU and other colleges would've gone to College Station instead...
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post Thanks / Like
    Earl Campbell has a net worth of 25 million dollars. He's doing ok financially.

T. Boone Pickens did support OSU in many ways. He died last year...Pickens did attend A&M a year before he lost his scholarship and transferred. He donated millions to OSU football as an investment in a winning football program. Eventually, he donated more than 652 milllion dollars between academics and athletics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Earl Campbell has a net worth of 25 million dollars. He's doing ok financially.
    just out of curiosity, PC, if 25 Mil is his net worth, what's his gross worth?....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Helping athletes with their degree plans, their schedules, tutors, and their professors is much, much different than condoning criminal behavior. I would never condone coaches excusing or keeping players that commit criminal offenses. Two very different subjects. .I did know of one college coach that covered for and excused three athletes in one year that were involved in criminal offenses. It was the main reason he lost his job at the end of that year.
    Where do you get that many athletes go on and make millions of dollars, but....not many "are really successful"? That is just not a true statement. Most of the football players, as well as the other athletes I knew in college, turned out to be very sucessful people. Many athletes have the qualities that help make people successful.
    Depends on how you define success. It seems you define success by their bank balance. I guess that means Jesus Christ was a total failure in your opinion.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just why would you say something as stupid, ignorant, and insensible as that? That's beyond dumb,..but not surprising.

I do understand why you make some of the stupid, asinine statements that you make, ..but it still just amazes me at times.
    Last edited by sickofpc; October 16th, 2020 at 2:50 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast