September 21, 2020 at 6:36 AM

UPDATE: Ross Chastain snagged one of the coveted open Cup seats on Monday in a promotion at Chip Ganassi Racing to drive the No. 42 next season.

The opening was considered one of the top available seats in NASCAR?s "silly season" period.

"I can?t thank Chip enough for this opportunity. The faith he and the organization showed me back in 2018 was a real turning point in my career and I am extremely happy for the chance to join the team again," Chastain said. "Racing in the Cup Series with a serious contender has always been my goal, and I?m looking forward to joining what is a very strong team.

"I know I have my work cut out for me, but I?m ready to get to work and help bring more success to the organization."

? Associated Press ?

ORIGINAL POST: Ross Chastain will finally get an opportunity next season to compete fulltime in the NASCAR Cup Series with Chip Ganassi Racing.

An official announcement of Chastain?s move is expected later today, multiple sources said.

Chastain will replace veteran Matt Kenseth, who stepped into the car in May to replace former driver Kyle Larson, who was fired in April for using a racial slur during the broadcast of an iRacing event and remains indefinitely suspended by NASCAR.

See more at Motorsport.