Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Spot the Space Station Tonight!

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a great view tonight... The guide said it would appear at 7:40 and last for 4 minutes... I tracked it from about 7:35 until 7:45 and it was clear as a bell. There was an airplane flying almost the same direction that had a very bright directional beacon light and it was doing its best to keep up, but it lost big time.

Great sighting tonight.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I forgot to post tonight's times. It was strange. We could see the space station, but there was another object that was seemingly following it with a light that was very intermittent. It wasn't flashing like a plane. There was no pattern to the flashing.

Post Thanks / Like
    The great sighting on tap for yesterday here was a bust due to overcast skies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I forgot to post tonight's times. It was strange. We could see the space station, but there was another object that was seemingly following it with a light that was very intermittent. It wasn't flashing like a plane. There was no pattern to the flashing.
    I saw it too, but attributed it to an airplanes anti collision lighting. Never seen on quite that bright though. LGM and BEMs following the ISS?
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I was going to say that tonights ISS observation was a bust, but I got an unexpected pleasure of seeing a different satellite moving from NE to SW slowly going across the heavens. Not even sure which one it was, but it was pretty neat. It cut right across Orions belt too, and I got a good naked eye view of Orion in all its glory, (about 7:45 to 7:55). The max elevation of this visitor was about 80 degrees or better.

Gave me a new appreciation of naked eye viewing again.

6. Likes Rick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A good view this morning from the parking lot at work. Pointed it out to a co-worker who didn't believe me. I also showed him Venus, he didn't believe that either...lol

8. Likes sojourner truth, birdfriend liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good viewing for early birds tomorrow morning.

Time: Wed Nov 11 6:04 AM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 57?, Appears: 15? above NW, Disappears: 10? above SSE

Post Thanks / Like
    I love watching that thing, but my wife and I usually get up at the crack of noon... Unless she is having a rough night sleeping, and then she may get up, but usually leaves me in dreamland.

I have noticed this recent propensity for the ISS to show itself at early am hours, and assume that the math of orbital dynamics makes that a regular thing. Hopefully the status will return to favor evening observations, but as days get shorter, it becomes doubtful.

Either that or I will have to start getting my butt out of bed earlier... Naaah. Never happen.

11. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just watched it go over the house... Clear and bright, and you could see the Dragon capsule chugging along right behind it.

Dragon wasn't nearly as bright, being so much smaller, but it was definitely seeable. I suppose they will mate up about 11PM tonight and get the new ISS members aboard.

I was also noticing today that the new Space Launch System is overbudget and behind schedule as well. Those folks making things for NASA really know how to milk out a career. Still waiting for someone to grow a pair and cancel or launch the James Webb Space Telescope... Supposed to launch 10 years ago and then went over budget and over time. Go figure. No wonder we are starting to suck at space exploration. It will take enterprising investors to get us to the moon and Mars.

13. Likes kantwin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That's cool. I didn't get notified since it wasn't higher than 40?.

I wish I had looked anyway.

Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast