Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 306

Thread: Spot the Space Station Tonight!

  1. #291
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Killeen
    Posts
    8,388
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some people see "morality" as fluid or flexible. One person's morality might be someone else' s sin.
    Other people see adherence to morality as a barrier. If someone says "do NOT go into the forest, as there are bad things there,", SOMEONE is bound to go traipsing off into the woods to see for themselves if that is true or not.
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

  2. #292
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Cove
    Posts
    2,702
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The world would be better off without some of those technologies.

    It seems that morality and ethics are not considerations when the technologies are produced.

    Luckily indeed as many of those "modern advances" come from Lucifer (the origin of luck)Yes, fools rush in where angels fear to tread. From the beginning, humankind, prompted by the devil, has wanted to become like God. Ergo, our exploration of the cosmos.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnatsum View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some people see "morality" as fluid or flexible. One person's morality might be someone else' s sin.
    Other people see adherence to morality as a barrier. If someone says "do NOT go into the forest, as there are bad things there,", SOMEONE is bound to go traipsing off into the woods to see for themselves if that is true or not.


    Hold up....did you two just take this into space exploration is against morals and is a sin?
    The entire purpose of a bayonet is to bring a knife to a gunfight.
    One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right, but not enough to know you're wrong.
    Don't tell someone they're wrong. Explain why. If you can't, maybe you're the wrong one.

  3. #293
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Precinct 205, District 3, Killeen
    Posts
    17,739
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Jeremy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hold up....did you two just take this into space exploration is against morals and is a sin?
    Only God and the actor (through conscience) know if any particular act is a sin or not. I am of the opinion, however, that it is immoral and unethical to spend >$9 billion on the frivolous pursuit of scientific curiosity while there are people dying for lack of adequate nourishment, medical care, and other necessities of life.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

  4. #294
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Cove
    Posts
    2,702
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only God and the actor (through conscience) know if any particular act is a sin or not. I am of the opinion, however, that it is immoral and unethical to spend >$9 billion on the frivolous pursuit of scientific curiosity while there are people dying for lack of adequate nourishment, medical care, and other necessities of life.
    Yes, over the course of 11 years we have spent 9.6 billion on this satellite and I understand your concern about people who are struggling needing help as well. However, the US has spent $43 billion in foreign aid in during 2020 alone. This is certainly not a case of us blowing all our money on science while we ignore other countries/people in need. We also have two hospital ships that are deployed around the world at any given time to help communities in need, as well as Navy Seabees deployed all over the globe to help build struggling communities with things such as drilling wells for fresh water, building community centers and schools, and bringing in food banks. We also have organizations such as Unicef and the United Nations stepping in to help. The struggle isn't because help isn't available, but because of improperly run governments. If I remember correctly, Guam is a perfect example of this. We've sent them foreign aid and hurricane aid for years and have found that the government has been using the resources improperly or not allowing it to get to their people all together. We see this all over the world and is often the reason for the struggling people.

    Within the US, we have programs for those who are truly struggling. We also have opportunities for those who truly wish to get out of the struggle and are willing to put forward a little effort.

    I don't believe this is a case of the US just blowing all(or even the majority) of our tax dollars on science while we ignore other issues.
    The entire purpose of a bayonet is to bring a knife to a gunfight.
    One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right, but not enough to know you're wrong.
    Don't tell someone they're wrong. Explain why. If you can't, maybe you're the wrong one.

  5. #295
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Killeen
    Posts
    8,388
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only God and the actor (through conscience) know if any particular act is a sin or not. I am of the opinion, however, that it is immoral and unethical to spend >$9 billion on the frivolous pursuit of scientific curiosity while there are people dying for lack of adequate nourishment, medical care, and other necessities of life.
    Sounds a bit...Liberal. Libs are almost always bemoaning what the U.S. spends on military AND space programs. "We have hungry and homeless people on the streets, and we are spending HOW MUCH on space telescopes and exploring other planets??", some of them have said over the years...
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

  6. #296
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Precinct 205, District 3, Killeen
    Posts
    17,739
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gnatsum View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds a bit...Liberal. Libs are almost always bemoaning what the U.S. spends on military AND space programs. "We have hungry and homeless people on the streets, and we are spending HOW MUCH on space telescopes and exploring other planets??", some of them have said over the years...
    Yea. I know that some believe that Jesus Christ is a Liberal too. Of course, there are also some who think that only a fool would believe that God had become man, or even that there is a God.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

  7. #297
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Killeen, Tx
    Posts
    25,257
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2
    And...we have a religion section.

  8. #298
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Harker Heights
    Posts
    29,408
    Post Thanks / Like
    The poor will forever be with us.
    We have met the enemy and he is us... POGO

  9. Thanks Rick thanked this post
  10. #299
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Harker Heights
    Posts
    29,408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Caught a glimpse of the ISS last night, but just for a short while.
    We have met the enemy and he is us... POGO

  11. #300
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Killeen
    Posts
    293
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw it as well Due south but very short time
    Johnny

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •