Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Spot the Space Station Tonight!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks great. I knew I should have done something like that to save the thing, but I just don't have the energy to mess with it.

If you get a chance to look at something, use the big lens first. Much easier to find things in than the smaller eyepiece. Not sure, as in can't remember, but the small 12mm eyepiece is great for when you get something really far away and small you want to look at, and the larger aperture lens is better for viewing closer items, or for general viewing. The moon is great place to start, as it is hard to miss, plus it gives you time to experiment with the eyepieces and check collomation. Once you get through playing with moon watching a while, go to Jupiter or Saturn for some fun. I personally liked looking at Orions gas nebula through the thing. One other thing to use as a challenge is to check out the "eye" of Cygnus, or the head of the swan. It was my first viewing objective when I went to Mount Lick observatory and looked through their 100" scope. It has 2 stars in it, one red and the other blue, and it is a real visual treat.

Oh, and another little trick... Tell someone you found a green star. They don't exist. I have no idea why, but that is a fact.
    another little trick: you know those little circles you put around the holes of documents you want to keep in a 3 week binder....if you don't have anything else when you columnate, use 'em....they work perfect!....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    another little trick: you know those little circles you put around the holes of documents you want to keep in a 3 week binder....if you don't have anything else when you columnate, use 'em....they work perfect!....mac
    This mirror has a center mark built in.

3. Likes sojourner truth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I got the mount done Saturday night. I'm not entirely happy with how it came out. Mainly due to the soft pine wood I used. The elevation motion isn't as smooth as it probably should be, so I'll try to tweak it a little.

I didn't paint inside the tubes since I lightly sanded the rust out with fine grit sandpaper and it looked good and I was worried that the flat black may reflect more than the original. So while I had it apart, I painted the rings flat black since they were originally white. I like how they came out and contrast with the outside of the tubes.

The spotter sight wouldn't adjust, so I ordered a new one.

As for viewing, we just looked at the moon on Saturday night. Last night, I was able to see the moon and Jupiter with both lenses and Saturn with the wide angle lens. The rings were clearly visible and could even detect yellow color. It was pretty early, so there was still some light in the sky.

There is quite a learning curve with this one. I think the collimation is close. Our internet was out yesterday, so I didn't have YouTube for a reference.

It was funny, I was trying to find Jupiter with the higher magnification eyepiece and I knew I was in the right area, but it was just a small light, like a star and I thought something wasn't right with the collimation. Turns out, I was looking at one of its moons...lol

5. Likes birdfriend, kantwin, fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The original swivel mount had some sort of friction reducing material on it so that the pivot points would slide more easily when elevating or depressing the scope. There is also a clamp on the side that allows you to stop the scope from lowering due to weight. Not sure if you included that on the new mount or not.

My biggest problem was left to right motion, and it looks like you have that addressed. I figured the spotter scope would be a bugger, as it was probably pretty rusted up.

Still, sighting in on any object smaller than the moon without the spotter scope is a problem, as you have a tendency to think the scope is lower than it is. In order to see some low lying objects, you will even see horizon in with the object if you get low enough.

At any rate, enjoy the show and welcome to the wide wonderful world of astronomy for beginners. Oh, and if you are looking at Jupiter, you will be able to see all of the Galilean moons very clearly.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I was going to get try some felt, but I do have some left over fiber gasket from a Big Green Egg that should work. It is basically, the same material as the original, just thicker. I see online that they are using some sort of teflon bearing on some now.

I moved that clamp and the eyepiece mount from the original.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I was going to get try some felt, but I do have some left over fiber gasket from a Big Green Egg that should work. It is basically, the same material as the original, just thicker. I see online that they are using some sort of teflon bearing on some now.

I moved that clamp and the eyepiece mount from the original.
    That base mount looks great... The clamp, which I never knew existed until about 5 minutes before you came over, is what one needs when lowering the scope for rudimentary collimation.

Now, having said that, I wouldn't get wrapped up in collimation too much anyhow. It is good if you want crystal clear observation of individual stars, but for general observation it is not all that important.

I should have let you have one of my spotter scopes, as I have 2 laying around somewhere. They work OK if you want to get close to what you are seeing in the finder to what you are seeing in the eyepiece, and they definitely help when using the 12mm lens. I think that is the smaller one. Made for very large magnification of an object. I will look around and see if I can find one of them. If I do, it's yours for the taking.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    That base mount looks great... The clamp, which I never knew existed until about 5 minutes before you came over, is what one needs when lowering the scope for rudimentary collimation.

Now, having said that, I wouldn't get wrapped up in collimation too much anyhow. It is good if you want crystal clear observation of individual stars, but for general observation it is not all that important.

I should have let you have one of my spotter scopes, as I have 2 laying around somewhere. They work OK if you want to get close to what you are seeing in the finder to what you are seeing in the eyepiece, and they definitely help when using the 12mm lens. I think that is the smaller one. Made for very large magnification of an object. I will look around and see if I can find one of them. If I do, it's yours for the taking.
    You've been generous enough. The one I ordered is about the same as the original, except there's an option for a green reticle. They do make a mount for two spotting sights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The gasket material is perfect. Thick enough so that it doesn't rock in the cradle anymore and it is snug enough so that it doesn't drop when it's part way down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

11. Likes sojourner truth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here are some sighting opportunities coming up.

ISS_4_Oct - 12 Oct.JPG

13. Thanks sojourner truth thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The spotting sight came in and I was able to align it near perfectly.

Saw several of Jupiter's "stripes" and my wife was excited to see Saturn so vividly.

Just for giggles, last night, I put my phone up against the wide angle eyepiece and took this picture Jupiter and three moons.

15. Thanks Night Owl thanked this post
Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast