Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Spot the Space Station Tonight!

Post Thanks / Like
    If my memory serves, Meteor and meteorite are terms for objects that enter the atmosphere. Meteoroids are the ones that hit the ground. But then, I have been known to be wrong before.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Saw it tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep... Me too. Nice and high in the sky. It almost looked like 2 objects either linked together or in a synchronous orbit. Wonder if it is the resupply module I saw.

On a side note... Elon Musk has called it quits on California and decided to move to Texas. Well, at least on Californian has something besides a hat rack on his shoulders. He said that California was acting like an entitled sports team that expects to be in the playoffs every year, and that some of the gold is tarnishing. And he is 100% correct. I just hope he decides to relocate all of his Tesla assets here and hire local.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If my memory serves, Meteor and meteorite are terms for objects that enter the atmosphere. Meteoroids are the ones that hit the ground. But then, I have been known to be wrong before.
    When?

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tonight!

Time: Wed Dec 09 6:22 PM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 68?, Appears: 11? above NW, Disappears: 10? above SE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Tonight!

Time: Wed Dec 09 6:22 PM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 68?, Appears: 11? above NW, Disappears: 10? above SE
    let's see now..........how many fingers would that be....or mils....... hope my finger is still 30 mils....
    Last edited by mac; December 9th, 2020 at 2:01 PM.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just look for the brightest, fastest moving thing that doesn't have flashing lights.

8. Thanks birdfriend thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It should pass overhead pretty much directly overhead at those elevations. The hardest thing I have found is that the directions given for location are a bit off, or at least so generalized as to be "in the ballpark" only. But it is easy enough to spot if you go out early and wait for it. What gets me is hoe it fades into view and gets very bright, and then fades out as it dips under the sun/earth horizon.

I am also getting used to it being dark by 6pm as well. I thought how unusual it is to be looking for something in low earth orbit at about 6pm, but then it occurred to me that the horizon for sunlight shining on an orbiting object could make something visible easily. Hoping to see some more meteorites (meteors) tonight as well. Tis the season.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    What gets me is hoe it fades into view and gets very bright, and then fades out as it dips under the sun/earth horizon.
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe that has something to do with terminator, or the line between dark and sunlight. I could be completely wrong on that, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went out and got a glimpse of it tonight between the trees. Max height was 26*
    Tomorrow is supposed to be up to 53* height.

Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast