Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Spot the Space Station Tonight!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great view tonight. It got really bright toward before it went out of sight. Must have been the angle of the solar panels reflecting the sun.

I think we saw a couple meteor flashes while watching it.

Post Thanks / Like
    This weekend should be prime viewing for the Geminids meteor shower. The evening of the 13th into the morning of the 14th. Look to the east, starting around 10PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep... Nice view tonight. And we saw a couple of shootin' stars as well. The ones we saw were going from south to north, which is unusual. Looking forward to the Geminids this year.. They say they are supposed to be exceptionally prolific. But then they say that every year.

Normally, meteorites come from the east and go west, but the hours they are best viewed are late, and us old farts need to get to bed early. Something about the earth facing a certain way as it flies around the solar orbit.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The ones we saw were going from south to north, which is unusual.
    Yeppers, that's real unusual.....ass backwards.....almost upside down so to speak (as if there were an up and down out there). Wish I hadn't missed it....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like in Enders game... In space, there is no down or up.

Watching the meteor shower is almost an annual ritual for me, but it is getting to where my patience and intolerance to cold is squelching that plan. I do hope to make it out after 10PM a few times this year around, but it is like putting up Christmas decorations any more. I am getting a bit long in the tooth for that sort of thing. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak and all that stuff... I usually get out a lawn lounge chair and lie down in the back yard to watch. Any more, I fall asleep before the shower gets good.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Tonight pass was almost a bust.
    It was supposed to appear NNW, disappear S, visible for 6 minutes. I was looking, and saw a satellite coming from the NNE heading S. I thought, OK, maybe I misremembered.
    As I was watching it, I was thinking that it wasn't as bright as it was yesterday.
    But, yesterday was an hour later, maybe that had something to do with it.
    I watched this one for almost 3 minutes, and as I turned to face more to the south, out of the corner of my eye was the bright ISS...
    The tracks of them did cross, but about 30 seconds apart.
    Not sure which satellite I was watching.
    Next real good opportunity for me -
    Sat Dec 19, 5:32 AM 6 min 58? 11? above SSW 10? above NE

Post Thanks / Like
    I went out at exactly 7:15, and actually saw it. Far to the south and west, barely over the tree tops for me, but it lasted for about 3 minutes... Which was 2 minutes longer than advertised.

Not as bright, and not as flashy as usual, but still seeable. Have to be careful in the backyard so as not to step on an IED... Invisible excrement of dog.

8. LOL kantwin, fchafey LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was in South Dakota last week Hunting. We were near Chamberlain SD right by the river.
    The sky was clear and only lights were from a small town in the distance.
    Great views. Sunday got to watch the ISS from horizon to horizon and several other times ISS and other satellites at the same time.
    The news said the northern lights would be visible Thursday and Friday nights. Had to get home so missed that.
    Johnny

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Frederick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was in South Dakota last week Hunting.

must've been hunting birds............i think season on all hooved animals is closed by now, aren't they?...how'd you do? upland or water fowl?....mac
    Last edited by mac; December 11th, 2020 at 3:12 PM.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pheasant hunting
    Thunderstick Lodge Chamberlain SD. On a bluff overlooking the Missouri river. Great lodge with great guides & dogs, limits each of 3 days.
    This was my third trip in the last 2 years. First time it was 12 degrees and a foot of snow on the ground.
    This week 35-65 degrees and sunshine.
    Johnny

12. Likes Ricky liked this post
Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast