Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Spot the Space Station Tonight!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep... I tried that too, and never could get a good pic off of my phone. Most times, you can spot 5 moons if they are in the right place.

One of the things that got me when I first looked through a telescope lens was just how many stars one can see that you can't see with the naked eye. They are everywhere.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tonight!!!

Time: Wed Oct 07 8:24 PM, Visible: 4 min, Max Height: 84?, Appears: 11? above NW, Disappears: 49? above SE

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep... I thought that might be high enough to see. Still trying to figure out how it will go from NW to SE. Most of the time it goes from west to east, but not to the southeast from the northwest.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep... I thought that might be high enough to see. Still trying to figure out how it will go from NW to SE. Most of the time it goes from west to east, but not to the southeast from the northwest.
    I guess I kind of thought that satellites not in synchronous stationary orbit always, well almost always went from NW to SE 'cept on re-entry.....I mean, if it wasn't a diagonal spiral, it'd be the same ole orbit, each and every time and the same ole latitude all the time and we'd know a lot about what was on earth below that particular latitude line but nothing about the rest of the earth and you .....could forget about your GPS....mac
    Last edited by mac; October 7th, 2020 at 2:38 PM.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess I kind of thought that satellites not in synchronous stationary orbit always, well almost always went from NW to SE 'cept on re-entry.....I mean, if it wasn't a diagonal spiral, it'd be the same ole orbit, each and every time and the same ole latitude all the time and we'd know a lot about what was on earth below that particular latitude line but nothing about the rest of the earth and you .....could forget about your GPS....mac
    If they always go NW to SE, how do they ever get back to the NW so they can go SE?
    {rhetorical question}

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here's a snip of the orbit. I guess by tonight, it will be somewhat close to the path that I drew in red.

SS_Travel.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I just went to the spot the station web site and learned an interesting fact. The station is only visible if it is above 40 Degrees of elevation. Anything less than that and it is too low. And, it has to be at just the right time for the sunlight to catch it at the right angle to reflect the surface back to earth.

I will take a good look tonight as it seems like the angle may be good enough to spot it. Tonight and perhaps even a night later on in the week.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's no mystery. NASA can tell you when and where you can see that wingless monstrosity.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    For me, this is the one to see this week.
    Fri Oct 9, 6:51 PM 6 min 87? 10? above NW 11? above SE

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a little cloudy tonight, but I still got to see the ISS pop in and out of the clouds every now and again. Had to watch it with the dog since the wife was watching the Yankees getting their lunch handed to them. All the dog was interested in was checking out her next spot to make a "deposit" in the grass. She was ready to go after we came back in and listened to a bit of the VP debate.

Hope tomorrow nights viewing goes well, and look forward to it.

Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast