Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Spot the Space Station Tonight!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last year, I was able to see 4 of Jupiter's moons.
    While viewing Saturn, I was struggling to try to get it in focus, only to finally realize that the "fuzz" around Saturn was the rings.
    I only have a small 3" refractor scope that's reliable.
    The 10" reflector alignment scope I have mounts are bent a bit, so using the finder scope doesn't align correctly.
    Saturn and Jupitor were great this year. I can see four moons (depending on their position) with my little scope. Also the rings of Saturn. Just for the hell of it, I tried with my Nikon binos I think they are Aculon 8x42 and I was able to see three of Jupitor's moons and Saturn's rings with those. The problem was holding them steady enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    I could not really see any distinction between the planet and the rings. To me the rings just looked like the fuzz I mentioned. Maybe a filter would help.
    I could not see any color, either, just brightness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    I could not really see any distinction between the planet and the rings. To me the rings just looked like the fuzz I mentioned. Maybe a filter would help.
    I could not see any color, either, just brightness.
    I couldn't see Saturn's color either, but it was very similar to this.
    Saturn-through-Telescope-room-Hopservatory-at-Worthy-Brewing-Bend-Oregon-2-250x333.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I couldn't see Saturn's color either, but it was very similar to this.
    Saturn-through-Telescope-room-Hopservatory-at-Worthy-Brewing-Bend-Oregon-2-250x333.jpg

That is still a pretty good picture for a small scope. If it is a refractor, 4" is considered to be a very large aperture. If it is a reflector, you could probably get that much from a 6 to 8" scope. The 12" you now have should give you a little bit better picture. Not sure how to hook up a recording device to it, but there are plenty of them out there. Looks like you have figured out a good way to take snaps of objects though. If you can do it with the 12", send us all some more... When the skies clear a bit though.

Because it is a Meade.. There are a lot of available options out there as well. I tried to get a new Dobsonian swivel base for it, but couldn't find one on line. I am sure that it would be fairly simple to fabricate one with your skills and shop setup.

PS... The roller base is merely a convenience for moving that heavy beast around. You can use just the regular swivel base if you want. When you use the wheeled rig, it helps to stake it in on 4 sides so it doesn't roll around on you.

On a side note. Refractors are good for looking at solar system stuff, refractors are better for stellar objects and nebulae and such.
    Last edited by sojourner truth; September 22nd, 2020 at 11:37 AM.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    That is still a pretty good picture for a small scope. If it is a refractor, 4" is considered to be a very large aperture. If it is a reflector, you could probably get that much from a 6 to 8" scope. The 12" you now have should give you a little bit better picture. Not sure how to hook up a recording device to it, but there are plenty of them out there. Looks like you have figured out a good way to take snaps of objects though. If you can do it with the 12", send us all some more... When the skies clear a bit though.

Because it is a Meade.. There are a lot of available options out there as well. I tried to get a new Dobsonian swivel base for it, but couldn't find one on line. I am sure that it would be fairly simple to fabricate one with your skills and shop setup.

PS... The roller base is merely a convenience for moving that heavy beast around. You can use just the regular swivel base if you want. When you use the wheeled rig, it helps to stake it in on 4 sides so it doesn't roll around on you.

On a side note. Refractors are good for looking at solar system stuff, refractors are better for stellar objects and nebulae and such.
    That is not my picture. I just picked that since it was the closest image that I could find to what it looked like as far as Saturn's detail. It is a 4.5 reflector I bought new from Ebay back in 2000. I bought the camera adapter for my Nikon, but it didn't work. I may try something on the 12" after I get used to it. And I'll be looking to give away the 4.5" to someone who can use it.

I see Meade has some USB cameras that might be useful.

It was nice talking to you again. Thank you for the scope. If there's anything you need, please do not hesitate to ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    My pleasure Rick. I would hang on to the reflector. 4.5" is pretty good aperture size for a reflector. I think the biggest I have ever seen for sale is a 5.5". Reflectors are so much cheaper, but then for stellar objective observations, they produce the best results. I just hope you can get it up and running. I am sure you can. Now... If those pesky clouds would just go away. Bell county force field seems to be holding off the rain, but not the cloud cover.

I could never figure out how they could hook a camera up in a telescope and then focus the lens properly. I do know they have hookups that go into your computer so you can see the image on a screen. Meade on line has all sorts of neat stuff.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    This morning was supposed to be "GREAT" viewing of one of the Starlink trains.
    And, of course, it was cloudy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    My pleasure Rick. I would hang on to the reflector. 4.5" is pretty good aperture size for a reflector. I think the biggest I have ever seen for sale is a 5.5". Reflectors are so much cheaper, but then for stellar objective observations, they produce the best results. I just hope you can get it up and running. I am sure you can. Now... If those pesky clouds would just go away. Bell county force field seems to be holding off the rain, but not the cloud cover.

I could never figure out how they could hook a camera up in a telescope and then focus the lens properly. I do know they have hookups that go into your computer so you can see the image on a screen. Meade on line has all sorts of neat stuff.
    Been working on it. Took it all apart and cleaned it up. The lenses look new again.

The primary mirror looks new now too. There seems to be some light rusting on the inside of the lower tube. Someone on a telescope forum suggested that I lightly sand and repaint it with flat black paint.

The base's bearings are in good shape.

I bought a couple of 24" table tops from Lowe's to use as a traverse base. I think it'll do the job.

I cut the three mount pieces tonight. I'll sand and stain them tomorrow and we just might be star gazing tomorrow night.

Thanks again.

9. Likes Ricky, birdfriend liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Been working on it. Took it all apart and cleaned it up. The lenses look new again.

The primary mirror looks new now too. There seems to be some light rusting on the inside of the lower tube. Someone on a telescope forum suggested that I lightly sand and repaint it with flat black paint.

The base's bearings are in good shape.

I bought a couple of 24" table tops from Lowe's to use as a traverse base. I think it'll do the job.

I cut the three mount pieces tonight. I'll sand and stain them tomorrow and we just might be star gazing tomorrow night.

Thanks again.
    Looks great. I knew I should have done something like that to save the thing, but I just don't have the energy to mess with it.

If you get a chance to look at something, use the big lens first. Much easier to find things in than the smaller eyepiece. Not sure, as in can't remember, but the small 12mm eyepiece is great for when you get something really far away and small you want to look at, and the larger aperture lens is better for viewing closer items, or for general viewing. The moon is great place to start, as it is hard to miss, plus it gives you time to experiment with the eyepieces and check collomation. Once you get through playing with moon watching a while, go to Jupiter or Saturn for some fun. I personally liked looking at Orions gas nebula through the thing. One other thing to use as a challenge is to check out the "eye" of Cygnus, or the head of the swan. It was my first viewing objective when I went to Mount Lick observatory and looked through their 100" scope. It has 2 stars in it, one red and the other blue, and it is a real visual treat.

Oh, and another little trick... Tell someone you found a green star. They don't exist. I have no idea why, but that is a fact.

Post Thanks / Like

Spot the Space Station Tonight!

Filters for looking at the moon sure help.

Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast