Page 17 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Spot the Space Station Tonight!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdfriend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could someone post the approximate time and where to look for the space station tonight? Thank you!
    Time: Sat Jan 16 7:23 PM, Visible: 2 min, Max Height: 76?, Appears: 19? above SW, Disappears: 74? above NNW

It'll be the brightest object in the sky unless the moon is visible.

2. Thanks birdfriend thanked this post
    Likes birdfriend liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rick, if you are going to look at the Orion nebula tonight, the best part is in the "sword" region, a little beneath the brightest star in the belt. It will look blue and hazy. The old Indian name for it was the "smoke star". Mainly because they observed it with the naked eye. Of course light pollution was almost non existent then.

It won't define as good as the pictures you might see when the Hubble space telescope looks at it, but it is still a great view.

Last night, the ISS was heading right for the Orion nebula, but faded before it got there.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The nebula was amazing with your scope. Well defined, almost like a mustache shape.

Here's a picture I took with a zoom lens. And the Tolkien moon shot of course.

5. Likes sojourner truth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I was so excited looking at the nebula that I almost missed the space station...lol

But I did see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tomorrow, Sunday, the space station would be...

Visible:#6 minMax Height:#50?Appears:#10? above SSWDisappears:#15? above ENE

8. Likes sojourner truth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tomorrow, Sunday, the space station would be...

Visible:#6 minMax Height:#50?Appears:#10? above SSWDisappears:#15? above ENE
    I could not find it last night, and I went out early. Glad you are enjoying the telescope. I will go out early tonight, as it should be very hard to miss.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice long view tonight. Right overhead, and east bound and down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Caught a few seconds of it tonight. It wasn't where I expected it to be, coming from NNW and heading NNE....

I did catch a second satellite though heading from N to S. A lot dimmer than the ISS, but then the ISS is in a lower orbit and has those solar panels extended making it pretty large.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did that a few weeks ago, thought a smaller satellite was the ISS, from the NE heading south, and was following it until I spotted the ISS in the NW, heading south-southeast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it appears that the best time for looking for satellites is from about 6PM to 7:30 PM. It will probably be too overcast tonight, but I will wait and see.

Page 17 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast