Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Spot the Space Station Tonight!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, tonight it showed up on time, but not exactly where I thought it would be. More directly north, and travelling to the northeast. But it was visible for a good 4 minutes. And we gotr a bonus when we first went out back. A meteorite at about 6:15 went from east to west, and it was very bright.

There is usually an onslaught of meteorite activity this tome of year, but usually from about midnight on to dawn. This one was an early bird. And it lasted a long time too. I kept thinking it would probably land somewhere in west Texas. Like CC or Lampassas or something.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Climb a ladder and get on the roof.
    it's not lookin' over things that's the problem, Owl, it's trying to cut through all that Killeen/copperas cove light pollution up in the air and atmosphere..........mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't live that far from me, and I have no problem with light or air pollution. Unless I am using a telescope, which I don't have any more.

One has to live in the sticks to get little to no light pollution. Rick has a good spot. My daughters ex has a nice spot out in Ding Dong that would make an excellent scope spot.

The problems I have are 2 story roofs and trees. Lot of 2 story houses built on the hills around me.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    You don't live that far from me, and I have no problem with light or air pollution. Unless I am using a telescope, which I don't have any more.

One has to live in the sticks to get little to no light pollution. Rick has a good spot. My daughters ex has a nice spot out in Ding Dong that would make an excellent scope spot.

The problems I have are 2 story roofs and trees. Lot of 2 story houses built on the hills around me.
    yeah, ok, I'm prob'ly mixin' apples and beans....if your scope elevation is above a 2 story ridge line, you're at one hell of a lot of more 'tilt' than i was referring too.........i should've remembered that you're a "high angle" guy....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    it's not lookin' over things that's the problem, Owl, it's trying to cut through all that Killeen/copperas cove light pollution up in the air and atmosphere..........mac
    Wear sunglasses.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    Wear sunglasses.
    I guess it's either that or move out on top of Manning Mountain on Ft. Hood.....as it is right now, other than the 2 I just mentioned I can never see anything out there in the northern skies. .... and there's some real good stuff out thataway.......

Hmmm, come to think of it, I know exactly where there's some excess pyro and 6 road wheels buried out there that maybe I could salvage.....anybody know what those recyclers are paying for road wheels today?....lots of magnesium in 'em......Grasshopper, are you listenin'?....I might just have a 12 digit grid and photo for sale......mac (just kiddin', CID)
    Last edited by mac; December 7th, 2020 at 11:14 PM.

7. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    LOL Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My batteries put a bunch of fragments all around and on top of Smith Mountain. Had the duty once to go and clean some of stuff out that way.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tonight.

Time: Tue Dec 08 7:10 PM, Visible: 3 min, Max Height: 57?, Appears: 10? above NW, Disappears: 56? above SW

10. Thanks txswimmer, birdfriend thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Should be a great show.. I am wondering if anyone else saw the meteorite at about 6:15 last night. I shook me up for a second, because it was so bright and unexpected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    Should be a great show.. I am wondering if anyone else saw the meteorite at about 6:15 last night. I shook me up for a second, because it was so bright and unexpected.
    Lemme split a hair with you -
    Are you sure it was a metorite, that survived entry into the earth atmosphere and impacted the earth?
    Or was it just a metor?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast