Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Spot the Space Station Tonight!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I am pretty sure it was Cygnus that the ISS went straight through last night from head to tail... Almost directly through the middle of it. Have to look it up to be sure I have my constellations straight.

It would be nice to have a green star, but that is one of the colors of the spectrum that does not happen naturally, I am afraid.

Blue white yellow red are plentiful. Red stars are the longest lived and the smallest and the hardest to see unless they are giants in the end stages of life like Betelgeuse in the Orion constellation. I also see that the Pleiades are out and that means that soon Orion will be out in full, and the pillars of creation and the Eagle nebula will be visible through a moderate scope.

I kept seeing a large red thing in the south eastern sky and guessed it was a planet, so when I looked through my spotter scope I thought I saw rings and guessed that it was Saturn, or at least some other planetary body and my lens was not well focused and had aberrations in the view.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Jupiter and Saturn are high in the sky, to the south, at sunset. Mars is probably 10 degrees up at sunset.

Post Thanks / Like

Spot the Space Station Tonight!

A good program to help identify stars and planets is called Stellarium.
    It?s available for PC and mobile ( phone, tablet )
    It is kind of geeky, and some of the button icons are hard to figure out.
    If you have a smartphone or tablet, I highly recommend SkyWalk2.
    It has some in-app purchases that will let you track satellites also, so you could know what was your two-fer. Probably an uninteresting communication satellite.
    SpaceX has been launching Starlink satellites, and they were making trails of 20 or so satellites, from what I understand, but never witnessed. Plenty of videos on that. Would have been neat to see.
    Many astronomers complained, so SpaceX angled them to not be so bright.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A good program to help identify stars and planets is called Stellarium.
    It?s available for PC and mobile ( phone, tablet )
    It is kind of geeky, and some of the button icons are hard to figure out.
    If you have a smartphone or tablet, I highly recommend SkyWalk2.
    It has some in-app purchases that will let you track satellites also, so you could know what was your two-fer. Probably an uninteresting communication satellite.
    SpaceX has been launching Starlink satellites, and they were making trails of 20 or so satellites, from what I understand, but never witnessed. Plenty of videos on that. Would have been neat to see.
    Many astronomers complained, so SpaceX angled them to not be so bright.
    Do you mean Star Walk 2?

Skywalk is some Bengali education app...lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah.
    Star walk...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    Well, I am pretty sure it was Cygnus that the ISS went straight through last night from head to tail... Almost directly through the middle of it.
    But Sojourner, It's thousands of light years away from us and even though I don't pay nearly as much attention to this sort of thing as I used to, I wasn't aware that we had yet sent anything that far away, let alone through it!......my bad.......mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    But Sojourner, It's thousands of light years away from us and even though I don't pay nearly as much attention to this sort of thing as I used to, I wasn't aware that we had yet sent anything that far away, let alone through it!......my bad.......mac
    We have a Unicorn Fart powered rocket that went there years ago, and it had the ISS on it.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    We have a Unicorn Fart powered rocket that went there years ago, and it had the ISS on it.
    A journey and a feat made so much more difficult since those entities making up that image are not as they seem, on a level plane.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    FTL travel... It can go from one to the other in a matter of seconds...

Want a real mind blower? Look at any constellation as we see it from planet earth and then look at the reality of where the stars really are. The first one that comes to mind is the big Dipper (Ursa Majoris, I think). Nothing like what we see it as from Earth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Short view tonight. Just a few minutes far to the northeast and low in the sky, but seeable. The wife trudges out, reluctantly, with me to watch. She gets a kick out of seeing me get excited about something any more. Talk about a cheap date. But I love her more than anything.

Now, I am sitting here watching Noah, the dumbest most anti biblical rendition of anything I have ever seen, and listening to the wife and dog snore.

Life gets simple, and enjoyable for the smallest reasons any more.

11. Likes Night Owl liked this post
Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast