Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: No college football this fall?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sickofpc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last year UT made over 223 million dollars in revenue. Most of that was attributed to football. Check on what UT made last year in profit and what was done with the money. The Longhorn Network alone made 12 million dollars. You might also check on how much revenue Texas A&M , LSU, Ohio State, and Michigan made last year from their football programs...
    i don't think there's anyone on here, PC, who would disagree with you that tons of money is being made off of these young lads....but don't just limit it to football. The whole damned system stinks....to high heaven........we just gotta get ball games out of the schools and academics back in....mac
    Last edited by mac; August 17th, 2020 at 12:01 AM.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.
     ...to the topTop

2. Thanks Night Owl thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Owl, if you had a son that was a great, great DI prospect QB, that was a 2.5 student, being recruited by Texas, LSU, maybe Baylor, among others, with the strong prospect of him playing professional football one day, ...would you let him go to school and play football on scholarship?
    Probably when I was that age but over the years my eyes have been opened. If towns or cities want football teams let them support the players. Universities should be education first but the schools you listed put sports first because of the money. There are more important things than sports.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.
     ...to the topTop

4. Likes ithoughtso liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Athletics" brings in money to colleges and universitites at extreme levels well above what the more academic programs do. The Geology department doesn't bring much in. Maybe Dramatic Arts (plays and other such events for the public). Let's see the Geography department bring in more than $500,000 a year.
    Even smaller colleges want a piece of the action. A few years ago, UT in Austin was starting its football season with a game with North Texas State University. Think that NTSU was doing it for the guaranteed $1.5 million a year from UT, or do I have the numbers wrong?
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus
     ...to the topTop

Post Thanks / Like
    Soo, Owl, you wouldn't let your son sign a scholarship to play football at UT ?..
    Do you think that the universities that I listed are not considered great, top universities, regardless of sports ?
     ...to the topTop

Post Thanks / Like
    Owl, if you had a son that was a great, great DI prospect QB, that was a 2.5 student, being recruited by Texas, LSU, maybe Baylor, among others, with the strong prospect of him playing professional football one day, ...would you let him go to school and play football on scholarship?
    I'm not Owl, but I'll reply to this question anyway. If I had a son who is a 2.5 student, if that is his true potential and not caused by lack of effort on his part (for which he would have his rear end whipped), I would encourage him to forget about college and get into one of the trades where he could have a successful and fulfilling life. I have seen too many youngsters have their career cut short and destroyed when their bodies let them down or when they suffered a disabling injury and have no skill to fall back on. There is more to life than money, yet money is the only real incentive for following the sports track.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

...to the topTop

8. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    mac, I don't like the NBA. I don't watch the NBA....but, have you ever heard of Kobe Bryant, Mo Bamba, Kevin Durant, Dr. J ?? Those are just a few of the players who opted out of finishing college to sign pro contracts. Of course, Bryant never went to college....I do not like the system of being able to sign underclassmen before they graduate, but that is what the system allows now....Are there some players that are offered pro contracts as sophomores and juniors that don't make it? Sure, there are some, but if my son was offered fifteen million dollars, or even a paltry two or three million dollars to sign a guaranteed pro contract early, uhhhh, I think I would be inclined to tell him to take the offer if that is what he wanted. Then, if my son wanted to finish his degree, for whatever reasons, he could, while having his financial life already guaranteed if he used his money wisely.... It's kind of hard to accumulate a few million dollars with any trade or any career that I know of in today's world.
    One thing having a lot of money does, is that it gives a person options that they otherwise would never have. Just ask Earl Campbell.
    Ludwig, I knew a couple of players in college that had their careers ended by injury. They weren't able to excel in sports like they had hoped, but they did have their college education paid for, which is no small thing.
    Personally, I very, very rarely watch pro football on tv. I might just watch for a little bit, to see what is going on. I never watch the NBA anymore. I do enjoy watching college football and some college basketball.
    mac, if the whole system stinks to you, and you think sports ought to be done away with as they are now, get to work making that happen...The first thing you might do is to convince the millions of sports fans to quit watching sports on tv and to quit spending all the money that they do now to watch sports, college and pro, in person. That would be a great start.
    Last edited by sickofpc; August 17th, 2020 at 9:04 AM.
     ...to the topTop

Post Thanks / Like
    As professional sports loses it luster and people learn to do other things, college sports will also begin to wane. Jerry Jones is no idiot, he wants fans to come see his Cowboys. Say what you want but that man knows the value of a dollar, I mean fan.....NBA, Hockey, and MLB sports that thrive and survive with fans cant do this next year. Universities are already over priced, over rated and over hyped.
    Last edited by fchafey; August 17th, 2020 at 9:21 AM.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly
     ...to the topTop

11. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chafey, I think it will be a long, long time before college sports will begin to wane, if ever. I think people doing without sports this year will be just like people that can't go to a restaurant now and have a nice, relaxing meal of their choice. They will be so looking forward to when they can go out and have those meals again and just relax and enjoy. I know I do.
    I do agree that college sports are already over priced. It is ridiculous how expensive it is to go to a college football game now, but, the prices are based on supply and demand, as everything is. I remember when you could go see a Baylor or UT game for very little money...not anymore.
    I also agree with you about JJ. He does know the value of a dollar and of the fans that attend Cowboy games. That is one of the reasons that he was able to buy his new 225 million dollar yacht and doesn't have to worry about paying his monthly electric bill.
    Last edited by sickofpc; August 17th, 2020 at 10:08 AM.
     ...to the topTop

Post Thanks / Like
    Soo, Owl, you wouldn't let your son sign a scholarship to play football at UT ?..
    Do you think that the universities that I listed are not considered great, top universities, regardless of sports ?
    There are very few, if any, great, top universities, regardless of sports today. Most, if not all, are liberal havens, when students are indoctrinated and not educated.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.
     ...to the topTop

Post Thanks / Like
    One has to remember that the whole world is wrong and that PC is right.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

...to the topTop

15. Thanks Night Owl thanked this post
    Likes Night Owl liked this post
    LOL Ludwig LOL'd at this post
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast