Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: No college football this fall?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep... Follow the money. It usually comes back to some politician somewhere. Wonder if the democrats are going to promise to bail out the college sports programs. I wouldn't put it past them.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

...to the topTop

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sickofpc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That really would be a "neat "idea. However,
    ...some reasons that colleges and universities are probably not going to do that, .... Texas...$223, 879, 781 in revenue, Texas A&M $ 212, 748, 002, and Ohio State, $210,548, 239 in revenue... Plus, the economic , cultural, and social impact that college football has on universities, towns, businesses, exes, fans, etc.
    never the less, it's a great waste of resources that should be used for educating. ever wonder why the great non-US universities of the world (zb Oxford, Cambridge usw) don't play games with their resources and instead stress education.....but, hell yeah, we got the best ball players on the planet....and can always hire
    our doctors etc from foreign countries....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.
     ...to the topTop

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, Oxford, Cambridge, and USW do play games...all have sports programs. Of course, they are not on the same scale as American universities and colleges.
    The major universities such as the Power 5 do put resources back into the universities. They put millions of dollars back into their schools' coffers as well as creating name recognition and providing PR... ..Smaller schools , usually a different story.
    We have had one medical Doctor in the NFL.... He has been the starting right guard for the Kansas City Chiefs. However, he has opted out playing this year because of the virus.
    No argument here about stressing academics more.
    Last edited by sickofpc; August 16th, 2020 at 4:23 PM.
     ...to the topTop

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, Oxford, Cambridge, and USW do play games...all have sports programs. Of course, they are not on the same scale as American universities and colleges.
    The major universities such as the Power 5 do put resources back into the universities. They put millions of dollars back into their schools' coffers as well as creating name recognition and providing PR... ..Smaller schools , usually a different story.
    We have had one medical Doctor in the NFL.... He has been the starting right guard for the Kansas City Chiefs. However, he has opted out playing this year because of the virus.
    No argument here about stressing academics more.
    i didn't say anything about "sports programs", ....they do have sport clubs, that's true but that's an awful long way and a far cry from what we have have here in our land.....i'm somewhat s'prised to hear that their sports clubs generate funds for the university......it seems to me that they take up more than they bring in.....in fact, the more I think about it, the more I feel pretty sure that they don't generate funds for their schools what so ever, even though they may bring in something for their own team every now and then....and, I've never met a European from a non-communist country who ever got an athletic scholarship ride.....I did know a German Olympic Skeet shooter from the Humbolt University of Berlin who was modestly supported by some shooting and hunting organizations like the DJV et al....I just don't think the universities over there have ball teams........arenas, fields etc etc.....they do in fact, though, have running tracks, pools, gyms and the like........mac

The player you speak of is not a doctor.....he's a medical student.....mac
    Last edited by mac; August 16th, 2020 at 8:24 PM.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.
     ...to the topTop

Post Thanks / Like
    That really would be a "neat "idea. However,
    ...some reasons that colleges and universities are probably not going to do that, .... Texas...$223, 879, 781 in revenue, Texas A&M $ 212, 748, 002, and Ohio State, $210,548, 239 in revenue... Plus, the economic , cultural, and social impact that college football has on universities, towns, businesses, exes, fans, etc.
    And that is the problem with college football and why schools will recruit the worse of the worse as long as they can play a game.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.
     ...to the topTop

Post Thanks / Like
    mac, first of all, the player I spoke about is a Doctor, not a medical student. Either you are WRONG, or every article that I have read about him is wrong.
    I didn't say you said anything about "sports programs", and I didn't say that what they have there is what we have here. .I just said that they do play games and have sports programs, which they do.
    You are saying that the big D I schools don't ever make a profit? Last year UT made over 223 million dollars in revenue. Most of that was attributed to football. Check on what UT made last year in profit and what was done with the money. The Longhorn Network alone made 12 million dollars. You might also check on how much revenue Texas A&M , LSU, Ohio State, and Michigan made last year from their football programs...Then, there is the money that is brought into cities, towns, their businesses, etc.
    I would think that probably most countries in the world have running tracks, pools, gyms, and the like...
    Last edited by sickofpc; August 16th, 2020 at 9:13 PM.
     ...to the topTop

Post Thanks / Like
    Owl, if you had a son that was a great, great DI prospect QB, that was a 2.5 student, being recruited by Texas, LSU, maybe Baylor, among others, with the strong prospect of him playing professional football one day, ...would you let him go to school and play football on scholarship?
     ...to the topTop

Post Thanks / Like
    Owl, of course there is some truth to what you said about players that are recruited now, but yet and still...stadiums are filled to capacity(Michigan over 100,000, A&M over a 100,000, and UT, with over100,000, including luxury boxes), all over the country with millions of fans watching college football on tv every weekend (sans Corona19).
     ...to the topTop

Post Thanks / Like
    Owl, of course there is some truth to what you said about players that are recruited now, but yet and still...stadiums are filled to capacity(Michigan over 100,000, A&M over a 100,000, and UT, with over100,000, including luxury boxes), all over the country with millions of fans watching college football on tv every weekend (sans Corona19).
    PC: Did you not see the question?......or just don't wanna answer it?......just curious, not judging....

Owl: If PC does answer your question, I would almost bet money that most libs will say they would let the son decide......but I sort of doubt if PC would say that, of course.....mac
    Last edited by mac; August 16th, 2020 at 11:49 PM.
     ...to the topTop

10. LOL sickofpc LOL'd at this post
    WTF sickofpc WTF'd this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Owl, if you had a son that was a great, great DI prospect QB, that was a 2.5 student, being recruited by Texas, LSU, maybe Baylor, among others, with the strong prospect of him playing professional football one day, ...would you let him go to school and play football on scholarship?
    and the question becomes even more interesting if you use the NBA instead of the NFL and a GP of 0.25. The NBA is nortorious, damned near criminal, for their drafting of young drop outs, low academic performers and kids who just plain got into too much trouble for the school to continue coddling....and then dumping them after a couple of years......mac
     ...to the topTop

12. Likes gnatsum liked this post
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast