August 6, 2020 at 7:01 PM

UPDATE: Joe Gibbs Racing and Erik Jones jointly announced today the end of their partnership upon the conclusion of the 2020 NASCAR season.

"We appreciate all Erik has done for Joe Gibbs Racing over the past several years," said Joe Gibbs, owner of Joe Gibbs Racing. "He joined us as a teenager and has accomplished so much in his time here and we remain focused on the remainder of this season and earning him a spot in the playoffs."

During his time at JGR, Jones has accomplished many milestones in his career. Following his championship season in the Truck Series in 2015, Jones moved full-time to the Xfinity Series winning Rookie of the Year honors and making a run at the 2016 Series championship. With the 2017 Cup Series Rookie of the Year title added to his accomplishments, Jones moved to the No. 20 Camry in 2018 winning his first-career Cup Series race and making his first appearance in the Cup Series Playoffs. Jones added the coveted Southern 500 to his resume in 2019 and secured his place in the 2019 Playoffs. Jones started the 2020 season strong winning the Busch Clash.

"I greatly appreciate the opportunity that JGR provided me with over the last four years and I wish the team nothing but success and good fortune," said Jones. "JGR gave me a solid foundation from which to go out and compete at the highest level and I look forward to building on that in the years to come."

? Joe Gibbs Racing ?

AND: Statement from Ed Laukes, Group Vice President, Marketing, Toyota Motor North America (TMNA)

"Erik has been an incredible friend to Toyota throughout the last eight years. We?ve become close not only to Erik, but to his entire family. We?ve celebrated together, we?ve cried together and we?ve supported each other through it all. Unfortunately, the time has come that we have to part ways from a competitive standpoint. We know Erik will continue to do great things in this sport and wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors. We will certainly continue to follow his career and will be there to congratulate him as he continues to succeed."

? Toyota Racing ?

UPDATE: Fox Sports? Shannon Spake reported Thursday night on Race Hub that Erik Jones will not return to Joe Gibbs Racing in 2021.

That will open the #20 for Gibbs and Toyota to move Christopher Bell in-house.

Erik Jones will not return to Joe Gibbs Racing in 2021 #RaceHub pic.twitter.com/Njmjkr6PJv

? FOX: NASCAR (@NASCARONFOX) August 6, 2020

ORIGINAL POST: No doubt, Jones wants to continue driving for Joe Gibbs.

"I?ve started to have some really, really good talks with JGR so it?s been going good so far. Nothing really to report yet, but I feel we?re moving in the right direction," said Jones, who signed a one-year extension last year for the 2020 season.

"I?ll take what?s given, but I wouldn?t be opposed to a multi-year deal. I feel like I?ve had a good home with JGR for a few years and I think we?ve built really well around what we?ve got, and hopefully continue to build around that and get stronger and stronger. I want to stay at JGR for sure."

Jones had a win in the July race at Daytona to earn a playoff spot in his first year with JGR in 2018, then won at Darlington, two races after the MIS race, in August last season to get in the playoffs.

? Detroit News ?