Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21

Thread: Opening of school for KISD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by birdfriend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When I retired I had over 150 sick days left. I had even “cashed in” a lot of them when a one time opportunity was given for us to do so. I felt more secure knowing that I had them as I had a good friend who was involved in a serious car accident that left her hospitalized and unable to work for many months. Before retiring, I really wanted to gift them to those that needed them, but at that time it was difficult to find out who needed them and there was a limit in the number of days that could be gifted to an individual. I was able to help only one person when I learned of the need through a co-worker.
    The city has a gifting option as well. I was going to gift a bunch of my sick hours, since I was never sick, until I found out who was collecting the unused hours. It seems on of my own workers, who mysteriously got sick for a week every month or so and wound up in Chicago having a good old time. I then started researching who was asking for sick hours, and it was always, and I mean every single time, someone who used all theirs up, or had "sold" them back to the city and was also a regular absentee. In other words, the system was being scammed by pros who depended on those with soft hearts.

Now, having known more than a few teachers, I can honestly say I can not imagine any of the ones I know scamming sick hours, but also knowing how people have a tendency to abuse any system it would not surprise me to find out a few less than honest requests for sick time donations.

It reminds me of the time when I loaned a fellow church member $300 to go see her son, who was dying, and then getting stiffed on the payback. Then later found out that the reason son was sick was due to a drug overdose. Or like when the ladies in the choir got their purses rifled and emptied while they were singing in front of the members. Nothing is scam free, and everything is a possible target for the unscrupulous.

I wound up cashing in my sick and vacation and comp time when I retired. It cost the city a pretty penny to be rid of me.
    We have met the enemy and he is us... POGO

Post Thanks / Like
    I get a sick time donation list. A person who mentored me when I first started told me not to do that for the very reasons you wrote. Of course not everyone is crooked, but alas, most are. Don't feel bad, I donate to Me or my kids and sadly sometimes in that order....and I sleep just fine at night.
    "I hit the ball as hard as I can. If I can find it, I hit it again" John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    There are always those who will scam the system. I knew the person I donated my days to was unable to work due to his cancer treatment. God sees all of our intentions and I will leave it up to him. It would have been nice to have been compensated for those unused sick days, also.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just thinking more about school reopening and have questions for those of you working with the military. They have large groups meeting and interacting daily and have continued working through all this. Are they taking more precautions with sanitizing, etc? Are they social distancing at work and wearing masks? What are they doing to keep everyone safe? Does anyone know the infection rate there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If they don't want to do their jobs, they should just quit.

Texas Teachers Union May Strike Over COVID-19 Precautions
    Rick, surely this article is a hoax, gnatsum just said that Texas doesn't have teachers unions and surely he couldn't possibly not know what he's talking about. Oh, and this from Fox News and the WSJ:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/wsj-ed...ical-extortion

Wall Street Journal editorial accuses teachers unions of using pandemic to commit 'political extortion'

"Teachers unions across the country see the coronavirus pandemic as "an opportunity" to "squeeze more money from taxpayers and put their private and public charter school competition out of business," the Wall Street Journal editorial board charged in an op-ed published late Monday.

As evidence, the board pointed in part to a list of demands made by a group of teachers unions and progressive organizations Monday as part of a political-tinged "National Day of Resistance." The demands include cancellation of rents and mortagages, handouts to unemployed Americans, a tax on stock market speculation to be used to fund school reopenings and a moratorium on new charter programs.

The WSJ board also cited American Federation of Teachers president Randi Weingarten's calls for "safety strikes" if local union chapters deem school districts' COVID precautions to be unsatisfactory.

"The phrase for this is political extortion," the editorial stated. "Rather than work to open schools safely, the unions are issuing ultimatums and threatening strikes until they are granted their ideological wish list."

The board also discussed the recent controversy in Montgomery County, Md., where the county's chief health officer unilaterally ordered private schools to remain closed until October. In response, Republican Gov. Larry Hogan amended his emergency order to overrule the commissioner.

Similarly, Democratic Govs. Philip Murphy of New Jersey and Gavin Newsom of California have laid out plans that restrict private and public schools alike from opening their doors until they deem it appropriate.

"Public schools are funded whether they open or not," the board wrote. "But private and religious schools, which rely on tuition and donations, don’t have that luxury.

"The Cato Institute’s Center for Educational Freedom reckons that 107 private and religious schools have been shut down permanently at least partly due to Covid-19. New York’s Catholic archdiocese has announced the closure of 20 schools."

The Journal contended that if private schools are allowed to make their own decisions and do a better job of educating students in the classroom while keeping them safe, it would "humiliate" the public schools and signal to parents that they have a better choice for their children.

"If there’s a silver lining here, it’s that Americans are getting a closer look at the true, self-interested character of today’s teachers unions. They are allies of the political left," the board wrote. "And they wield monopoly power that they are now using to coerce parents and taxpayers to dance to their agenda if they want their children to learn."
    Last edited by ExKilleencitizen; Yesterday at 6:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Democrat mayors and school officials, as well as the unions are all working as one to get Trump defeated by making him look like he has lost control. The only people who have obviously lost control are the democrats who run these cities and states and ISDs.

But then, maybe they think it is a good thing for rioters and looters to destroy their constituents property. I only hope the voters remember this crap when the next election rolls around. I know if it were me, Newsom and the other dem leaders who have allowed wanton lawlessness rule the streets would be out of a job.
    We have met the enemy and he is us... POGO

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep telling myself to remember 2016 and how the media was reporting and the polls predicting . I intend to do what I did then which was pray and cast my vote.

8. Likes xzochye, Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdfriend View Post
    I was just thinking more about school reopening and have questions for those of you working with the military. They have large groups meeting and interacting daily and have continued working through all this. Are they taking more precautions with sanitizing, etc? Are they social distancing at work and wearing masks? What are they doing to keep everyone safe? Does anyone know the infection rate there?
    HELL NO!

My building is one of the most frequently used petri dishes on post. It is nothing to have 150 soldiers training in there at a time. Maybe half the soldiers who come in there are wearing masks. Many wear them into the building, then take them off after entering. Kind of backwards. Only a few of us civilians wear masks. I wear one when I'm away from my desk and put one on when someone comes to my desk for help.

The good news is that two of us, one who never wears a mask, and me, were recently tested at Darnall due to minor surgeries and we both were negative. I think they stuck the stick so far into my nostril that they tested the back of my eyeball.

10. Likes Night Owl, birdfriend liked this post
    LOL Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rick, that is encouraging.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21