Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Stuff ( Messages moved from Missing Soldier Topic)

Post Thanks / Like

Gun Stuff ( Messages moved from Missing Soldier Topic)

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    although back before you were born we used to keep our M1s in an unlocked rifle rack between rows of cots in our barracks bay with a # painted on the stock (wooden)....((yellow pine)).....mac
    mac was in the army right after the upgrade from rocks and slingshots.

2. LOL Ricky, CenTexDave, txswimmer, sojourner truth LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    Yea but Mac, not many of us were in the Army when you had to load a musket with black
    powder.
    well, not quite that bad, but pretty close maybe. In BCT (Ft. Leonardwood) some of our trainee platoons were still armed with the 1903 and I was kind of jealous of that because I was already very familiar and proficient with the 1903A3 as many a white tail in Coleman County would've testified to.......always loved the 1903, at one time I wound up with 2 of 'em, had one of 'em converted to a 300 Win Mag and the other to a 25-06......both of 'em by an old gunsmith down the street up in Widefield, Colorado......sweet little shooters, they were....25-06 for pronghorn and whitetail and 300. win-mag for mule deer and elk....had manlicher stocks and turned down bolts on both of 'em....mac
    Last edited by mac; July 11th, 2020 at 11:39 PM.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

4. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 1903 303 caliber in my gun safe. Handed down to me from my Dad. When I got it it was modified to a sports rifle. After I joined the army I had is retuned to its original configuration.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 1903 303 caliber in my gun safe. Handed down to me from my Dad. When I got it it was modified to a sports rifle. After I joined the army I had is retuned to its original configuration.
    Owl: your Dad re chambered it from 30-06 to .303? Just out of curiosity, did you ever ask him why he did that?............mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know a few Marines who still swear the 1903 is the best rifle ever made. They tell stories of stories of when older Marines almost cried when they were swapped for M1s... A lot of the older Marines refused to give their 1903s up.

Pretty sure some of our snipers had them with scopes as well as plain old steel sights.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    The only times I handled a Springfield was as drill and color guard commander in college ROTC. We had bouncy rubber butt pads on them and banged ‘em and threw them around like crazy. Not one ever broke. When the President came to town (one of the good Republicans), the Secret Service went nuts on us until they saw we had no firing pins. Then they enjoyed the show.

I still like the M14. Never was a fan if the M16. Loved the M60 and the .50 cal. The.45 was a great sidearm. Now, i only have a Judge, a shotgun, and an old Nazi 9mm Luger. All work. I just never get to the range any more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by txswimmer View Post
    The only times I handled a Springfield was as drill and color guard commander in college ROTC. We had bouncy rubber butt pads on them and banged ‘em and threw them around like crazy. Not one ever broke. When the President came to town (one of the good Republicans), the Secret Service went nuts on us until they saw we had no firing pins. Then they enjoyed the show.

I still like the M14. Never was a fan if the M16. Loved the M60 and the .50 cal. The.45 was a great sidearm. Now, i only have a Judge, a shotgun, and an old Nazi 9mm Luger. All work. I just never get to the range any more.
    Sigh... Haven't been to the range in years. And I have plenty of toys to shoot. I like my M1a, and my AK.... My AR is ok, but after having lugged one around forever, it wouldn't appeal to me unless it dispensed cold beer. One of my new favorites is my MP 15-22. Shoots faster than heck, and the ammo is cheap. I have a 1911 but can't hit a bull in the butt if it is farther than 20 feet away. Now my 9mm and .380... they are nice little home protection pieces. I always have one of them within arms reach. My wife hates it, especially when company comes over, but that's tough.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

10. Likes txswimmer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Owl: your Dad re chambered it from 30-06 to .303? Just out of curiosity, did you ever ask him why he did that?............mac
    He didn't. The 1903 was produced in three different calibers; 22, 303, 30-06.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

12. Likes Grasshopperglock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    He didn't. The 1903 was produced in three different calibers; 22, 303, 30-06.
    well, i'll be damned...i did not know that. thank you, Owl.............seems like an awful lot of rifle for a .22....I think the Brits were still in love with that .303 round back then (they really liked, and still do, the Enfield .303, so that sort of makes sense if they wanted to sell any to the Brits...(this is all pre-NATO, of course).......mac
    Last edited by mac; July 12th, 2020 at 4:07 PM.

14. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 22lr version was for training. Low recoil and cheap.

16. Thanks Night Owl thanked this post
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast