Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Gun Stuff ( Messages moved from Missing Soldier Topic)

Post Thanks / Like
    Try sticking a red dot on the rifle. Like an Aimpoint Pro. We're not talking AR's. Use it with a bolt rifle. My 700 has a rail for a sight base. 308. I balanced the rifle with the front receiver bolt being the neutral point. It swings better then a shotgun. The scope for it is a Japanese made Weaver k6. Fine cross hairs. For when you feel like being lazy.

With the red dot anything inside 100 yards is easy to hit if you're braced steady. Within 50 yards, you can cut your name. I call it the 'Pig slayer 3000'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopperglock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Try sticking a red dot on the rifle. Like an Aimpoint Pro. We're not talking AR's. Use it with a bolt rifle. My 700 has a rail for a sight base. 308. I balanced the rifle with the front receiver bolt being the neutral point. It swings better then a shotgun. The scope for it is a Japanese made Weaver k6. Fine cross hairs. For when you feel like being lazy.

With the red dot anything inside 100 yards is easy to hit if you're braced steady. Within 50 yards, you can cut your name. I call it the 'Pig slayer 3000'.
    well, since that sucker has a "front receiver bolt", can you tell me where it is in relation to the "rear receiver bolt"?....sure would 'ppreciate it.....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    For my hunting style, a scope just gets in the way. Even if I saw a deer at 100 or more yards I would not take the shot and at lesser ranges a steel, open sight is sufficient.
    yeow, it might be if you're aimin' at the whole animal. ought not do that. shoot for the liver and use a 5X scope for a quick and sure kill.....i've seen way too many wounded deer and hog in my time.....Respect the animal and make it as clean, painless and humane as possible......mac
    Last edited by mac; August 7th, 2020 at 5:40 PM.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

4. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    well, since that sucker has a "front receiver bolt", can you tell me where it is in relation to the "rear receiver bolt"?....sure would 'ppreciate it.....mac
    Breech side of the receiver. The bolt that doesn't go through the trigger guard. The other bolt going through the stock, closest to the muzzle. If your rifle has a feed gate, same place.

That's the neutral spot on the rifle for which it's balanced off. You should be able to balance the rifle using only the front receiver bolt area to hold the rifle.

Post Thanks / Like

get rid of the weaver rails on put on some pitcannys....mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Breech side of the receiver. The bolt that doesn't go through the trigger guard. The other bolt going through the stock, closest to the muzzle. If your rifle has a feed gate, same place.

That's the neutral spot on the rifle for which it's balanced off. You should be able to balance the rifle using only the front receiver bolt area to hold the rifle.
    ahhhhh, i don't think those are "bolts", grasshopper and.....I prefer a heavy front end on my rifles....mac

Post Thanks / Like
    get rid of the weaver rails on put on some pitcannys....mac
    That's what I meant. A Remmy 700 picatinny sight rail. Weaver uses bases. Which are horrible.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeow, it might be if you're aimin' at the whole animal. ought not do that. shoot for the liver and use a 5X scope for a quick and sure kill.....i've seen way too many wounded deer and hog in my time.....Respect the animal and make it as clean, painless and humane as possible......mac
    Nope. I aim for the lungs just behind the front leg on either side. Best shot is a through and through which deflates both the right and left lungs; any other shot will ruin a lot of good meat. Sometimes I damage the heart but that makes me unhappy since that's good eating. BTW: I have never kept a trophy. I shoot for meat only. As to hogs, they are vermin which I have little interest in adding to my freezer thus any hit is good.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

10. Likes sickofpc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ahhhhh, i don't think those are "bolts", grasshopper and.....I prefer a heavy front end on my rifles....mac
    Fine, Mr Mac. Receiver screw.

They come from the factory front heavy. When it's balanced. 50/50 front to rear. With scope or red dot. It's harmony. Fung sway' type stuff. It works with you. It's extremely nice.
    Last edited by Grasshopperglock; August 7th, 2020 at 6:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Nope. I aim for the lungs just behind the front leg on either side. Best shot is a through and through which deflates both the right and left lungs; any other shot will ruin a lot of good meat. Sometimes I damage the heart but that makes me unhappy since that's good eating. BTW: I have never kept a trophy. I shoot for meat only. As to hogs, they are vermin which I have little interest in adding to my freezer thus any hit is good.
    That's why you donate the hog. If you know any Mexicans. Tell them you want 2 dozen tamales and they can have the rest.

Hogs have to be shaved. It's a nasty job. A Mexican can sharpen a piece of aluminum siding and shave it proper. Make money off it or feed their families.

13. Likes gnatsum liked this post
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast