Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: NASCAR bans Confederate Flag

Post Thanks / Like
    Or the graffiti on the civil war memorial - to black Soldiers.
    OOPS.

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems that our leaders don't know the South wanted to leave. Maybe 10 percent of the reason was slavery and 90 percent was about States rights. It seems that the Feds were overstepping what was granted them in the Constitution even back then. Seems the Feds still haven't learned from their mistakes of the past.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is great news!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by onetime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is great news!
    That's the reaction of someone who has swallowed the bait: hook, line and sinker.

I will make a deal you. You find a slave in America today and a slave owner and then I will agree with BLM. But after 150 years I doubt anyone in America today has experienced slavery. So it seems in 150 years people today think it affects their lives. Please explain how that happened.

My ancestors were share cropers.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

5. Likes gnatsum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great post, Owl.
    Reminded of a soundbite of Sharpton's "eulogy" at Floyd's viewing. The Rev. Al repeated the phrase "because there was a knee on our neck" to 'illusrtate' the level of racism in this country

Sort of "we COULDN"T become great business owners...because there was a knee on our neck"...

Oh please. There are a LOT of successful black business owners out there, a lot of successful blacks in government (Powell, Rice), black military officers (Col. Allen West), black lawmen, black doctors, black professors, black movie directors out there,,,and they all control their own destinies. They don't need to lean on folks like you to achieve success...
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

7. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gnatsum View Post
    Great post, Owl.
    Reminded of a soundbite of Sharpton's "eulogy" at Floyd's viewing. The Rev. Al repeated the phrase "because there was a knee on our neck" to 'illusrtate' the level of racism in this country

Sort of "we COULDN"T become great business owners...because there was a knee on our neck"...

Oh please. There are a LOT of successful black business owners out there, a lot of successful blacks in government (Powell, Rice), black military officers (Col. Allen West), black lawmen, black doctors, black professors, black movie directors out there,,,and they all control their own destinies. They don't need to lean on folks like you to achieve success...
    Well, success requires effort, and... education. Blacks very often cite the fact (supposedly) that they are not afforded the same educational opportunities that whites are.

Seems to me that 2 plus 2 still equals 4 no matter who teaches it. Unless one is into Einsteinian theories and alternative physics, or maybe new math. The new math doesn't care if you get the right answer or not, only that you make some sort of token effort.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    With "new math", if a kid has to show their work, there is a difference when they are presented with the problem -
    "What is 3x5, show your work."
    2 possible solutions - "3+3+3+3+3", or "5+5+5"
    One is right, one is wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    With "new math", if a kid has to show their work, there is a difference when they are presented with the problem -
    "What is 3x5, show your work."
    2 possible solutions - "3+3+3+3+3", or "5+5+5"
    One is right, one is wrong.
    Well, when everything is free, one does not need to know any math. Much simpler, dontcha know.

Like my soldier who kept bouncing checks many years ago. When I pulled him into my office and asked him why he was bouncing checks, he just looked stunned and said "But top, there are still checks in the book"....
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

11. Likes txswimmer, Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Funny how they ban the Confederate flag the same week they are having the "Dixie Vodka 400". Dixie was/is considered the southern part of the United States that contained the Confederate states.

13. Thanks TheOldProgrammer thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The South lost. It was a rebellion, and the Confederacy was not a separate country, despite their efforts to become one. That being said, the confederate flag, when I was a kid, was just something you had around to show you were from the south. I never saw it as a treasonous standard, nor an emblem in support of slavery. Those Duke boys had it on the General Lee. It was harmless.
    The new Nazis fly it more than anyone. It HAS become a symbol of hatred. It was culturally appropriated by hoodlums.
    Bases being named after confederate generals? Doesn't bother me, because those bases are NOT symbols of a desire for slavery. Confederate statues? I have mixed feelings about those.

I DO listen to those that say we would be the first to complain if we called a post "Fort Hirohito", or "Fort Hitler", or "Fort Hussein". We would probably never have a "Fort Cornwallis", either, though we are the treasonous bastards who rebelled and won against our now British friends. And though we only fought a cold war, and the USSR was our ally in WWII, but we would never have a "Fort Stalin". "Fort Mao"? I don't think so. Ph, shot! "Fort AOC"? Bwahahahahahaaaaa

Maybe we could have "Fort Sitting Bull", or "Fort Crazy Horse" to honor the Natives whose lands we stole. The Native American population was decimated - wrongfully.

The idiots that want to remove the monuments to the Founding Fathers are just idiots. It was a different time and place Slavery was not considered by many to be a sin. It was not limited to Africans. Many Europeans came to the US as "indentured servants", which is just slavery with a twist. The Chinese were treated as slave labor.

Do we tear down the Truman museums and statues because he dropped nuclear bombs? Or FDR's because he firebombed civilians in Germany?

Let's face it - we have grown and matured in our treatment of others. Sins of the past are past. It is the sins of the present that need to be maturely addressed.
    Last edited by txswimmer; June 12th, 2020 at 12:15 PM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast