Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: NASCAR bans Confederate Flag

Post Thanks / Like
    Let's talk about substance abuse. No matter if the CIA were selling crack, I know of no one forced to take it. Meth is the drug of hardcore choice for whites. No one forced anyone to make it or take it. Heroin is a universally loved hardcore drug. No one was ever forced to take it. Alcohol is the #1 killer drug in the US. No one is forced to drink.

The problem with those who advocate the decriminalization of hard core drugs is that they have probably never dealt with the devastation a crack addict or speed freak can cause. I have seen too many kids of all colors of the human race living in filth, beaten, abused, starved and otherwise neglected because of their parent's addiction. This is true for alcohol, too. Meth is a harder addiction to fully recover from than other drugs, because it actually destroys parts of the brain that make normal levels of serotonin. The incidence of bipolar disorder among speed freaks is probably double that of other addicts. This can be helped by psychotropic drugs, but keeping a bipolar patient on meds can be extremely difficult.

Based on my years as a prosecutor, I would legalize weed before keeping alcohol legal, if I had to choose. I never had to deal with a person who was baked, solely on marihuana, who was violent. Now, if the blunt being smoked has coke, PCP, heroin, speed, formaldehyde, etc., mixed i, that's a horse of a different color.

I don't drink or do any non prescription drugs (and no opiode medication). I am against prohibition - it just drives up the crime rate. If marijuana were legalized and regulated, there would be an increase in DWI, but about a 40% drop in drug related cases, and a tax bonus. Maybe then we could focus more on the eradication of hard core drugs through a balanced program of treatment, with incarceration if a defendant refuses to clean up his act.

Just some thoughts.

2. Thanks TheOldProgrammer thanked this post
    Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by txswimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let's talk about substance abuse. No matter if the CIA were selling crack, I know of no one forced to take it. Meth is the drug of hardcore choice for whites. No one forced anyone to make it or take it. Heroin is a universally loved hardcore drug. No one was ever forced to take it. Alcohol is the #1 killer drug in the US. No one is forced to drink.

The problem with those who advocate the decriminalization of hard core drugs is that they have probably never dealt with the devastation a crack addict or speed freak can cause. I have seen too many kids of all colors of the human race living in filth, beaten, abused, starved and otherwise neglected because of their parent's addiction. This is true for alcohol, too. Meth is a harder addiction to fully recover from than other drugs, because it actually destroys parts of the brain that make normal levels of serotonin. The incidence of bipolar disorder among speed freaks is probably double that of other addicts. This can be helped by psychotropic drugs, but keeping a bipolar patient on meds can be extremely difficult.

Based on my years as a prosecutor, I would legalize weed before keeping alcohol legal, if I had to choose. I never had to deal with a person who was baked, solely on marihuana, who was violent. Now, if the blunt being smoked has coke, PCP, heroin, speed, formaldehyde, etc., mixed i, that's a horse of a different color.

I don't drink or do any non prescription drugs (and no opiode medication). I am against prohibition - it just drives up the crime rate. If marijuana were legalized and regulated, there would be an increase in DWI, but about a 40% drop in drug related cases, and a tax bonus. Maybe then we could focus more on the eradication of hard core drugs through a balanced program of treatment, with incarceration if a defendant refuses to clean up his act.

Just some thoughts.
    i totally agree with your last paragraph............mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, there always is the libertarian take on it where the drugs of choice would all be legalized... or at least not prosecuted against. The problem with saying OK to some drugs and no to others is that there will always be those out there (Yes Mac... the every present "they" or "them") who will try and say that what is sauce for the goose ought to be sauce for the gander.

And if we were going to actually ban things that do physical harm, tobacco and alcohol would be gone as well. But then, the point of all that taxation on those things isn't to try and actually get people to quit, but to see how much they are willing to pay for their particular vice. It's like my wife says when we fill up the tank. Gas can be really expensive at times, but they have you where they want you. You gotta have it, no matter the cost.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

5. Likes txswimmer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, there always is the libertarian take on it where the drugs of choice would all be legalized... or at least not prosecuted against. The problem with saying OK to some drugs and no to others is that there will always be those out there (Yes Mac... the every present "they" or "them") who will try and say that what is sauce for the goose ought to be sauce for the gander.

And if we were going to actually ban things that do physical harm, tobacco and alcohol would be gone as well. But then, the point of all that taxation on those things isn't to try and actually get people to quit, but to see how much they are willing to pay for their particular vice. It's like my wife says when we fill up the tank. Gas can be really expensive at times, but they have you where they want you. You gotta have it, no matter the cost.
    actually (and i know it might just be a technicality) but I don't want to see any dope legalized. I just want to see 'em all "decriminalized"..............least ways at the
    Fed level.....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10