Thread: NASCAR working on return to racing within weeks

Post Thanks / Like

NASCAR working on return to racing within weeks

April 17, 2020 at 2:20 PM

Sports Business Journal’s Adam Stern reports that NASCAR has been in contact with North Carolina officials to get team personnel classified as essential so they can begin working on cars at the race shops.

Florida Ron DeSantis says he has talked to NASCAR about running in the state. With Homestead being the second race postponed this year, it would be a logical choice for an early race once competition restarts.

.@NASCAR is looking at running without fans for around four to five weeks and will start where it can based on state/local guidelines, per sources.

? NASCAR is also talking to N.C. officials about getting shop members deemed essential soon, so they can return to work/prep cars. pic.twitter.com/XyuGDqKnMx

— Adam Stern (@A_S12) April 17, 2020

Not sure how wise an idea this is... FTR, DeSantis is an a$$hat... He's reopened the beaches in Florida which could see the state spike in the number of cases, and deaths... Not just in Florida but elsewhere when the tourists go home...

"You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be." -- Albus Dumbledore...

Post Thanks / Like
    Just heard that Governor Abbot is going to OK races again as long as there are no fans in the stands. I suppose that is better than virtual races or no races at all, but I suspect that there are a few on here who like the sounds and smells of being trackside. Just as I did when I used to go to the dragstrips and racetracks in my youth.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    TMS President Eddie Gossage said in an interview a week or so ago that he was NOT INTERESTED in holding races there with no one in the stands. I figure he's not going to make any money doing that (a one-liter bottle of Coke now costs $5 at his track concession stands,,,and those $1 coupons for season ticket holders were discontinued this year).

There's still the Texas Motorplex, Houston Raceway Park, and COTA for major racing venues in Texas. Lots of smaller tracks across most of the state (HOT Speedway, Devil's Bowl, Temple Academy Dragway...)
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that track down in College Station still doing races of any kind?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No, in fact, two weeks ago they announced that it is going to be tearing it down.

https://racingnews.co/2020/04/03/tex...ing-torn-down/

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at Texas World Speedway in 2014, for a Houston-based Mustang club run. The story back then was that the track was going to close THAT year, so the Mustangers did a 'Last Blast' event. Invited other Houston car clubs to show up for hot laps on the old road course ("mushroo cloud" shaped section on the east side of the backstretch). Ford showed up with a prototype of the 2015 Mustang and a couple of new Shelbys.
    Lots of fun. I did a few charity laps in the passenger seat of a race-prepped 2013 Boss 302 Mustang.
    R.I.P., TWS.
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post Thanks / Like
    Kinda like a redneck Vive les Arts huh?
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

8. LOL Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saw an online story this morning, on a dirt track in South Dakota..that decided IT'S TIME NOW to return to racing.
    Half packed stands would be 900, but with social distancing, it's going to be 700 fans in the stands. SD Governor thinks its too early to try this just yet...
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mot...crQ?li=BBnb7Kz

Post Thanks / Like
    South Dakota? What part of Texas is that in?

11. LOL Night Owl LOL'd at this post