Thread: Kyle Larson uses racial slur during eSports event UPDATES: Released by Chip Ganassi R

Post Thanks / Like

Kyle Larson uses racial slur during eSports event UPDATES: Released by Chip Ganassi R

Here's the entire thread from Jayski...

April 14, 2020 at 10:03 AM

UPDATE 4-14-2020: Chip Ganassi Racing statement: "After much consideration, Chip Ganassi Racing has determined that it will end its relationship with driver Kyle Larson. As we said before, the comments that Kyle made were both offensive and unacceptable especially given the values of our organization. As we continued to evaluate the situation with all the relevant parties, it became obvious that this was the only appropriate course of action to take."

AND Chevy Statement:

"As previously stated, Chevrolet does not tolerate the inappropriate behavior exhibited by Kyle Larson. As a result, Chevrolet is immediately terminating its relationship with Mr. Larson."

UPDATES 4-13-2020:

Fiserv (Clover is its point-of-sale platform) terminates Larson sponsorship. Statement: ?We denounce the language used during Sunday?s iRacing event. We support the actions taken today by NASCAR & the Chip Ganassi Racing Team, and are terminating our sponsorship of Kyle Larson.?

— Bob Pockrass (@bobpockrass) April 14, 2020

UPDATE: McDonald’s has joined Credit One in announcing that they will take immediate steps to terminate their sponsorship of Larson.

"The comments made by Kyle Larson are insensitive, offensive and not reflective of our inclusive values and will not be tolerated. McDonald’s is taking immediate action to terminate the relationship with Larson."

With Larson’s biggest sponsors stating they will no longer sponsor him, the odds of him remaining in the No. 42 appear to be slim to none. Ross Chastain continues to be under contract with Chip Ganassi racing and would likely be the favorite to replace Larson.

.@McDonalds has terminated its relationship with @KyleLarsonRacin.

? McDonald's has been with Chip Ganassi Racing for more than a decade. pic.twitter.com/8eEVoJOhMy

— Adam Stern (@A_S12) April 13, 2020

UPDATE: Credit One announced it has terminated the company’s sponsorship of Kyle Larson.

According to Sports Business Journal’s Adam Stern, the company has not terminated its sponsorship of Chip Ganassi Racing, but will not sponsor a car Larson is driving.

Statement from Credit One Bank regarding sponsorship of Kyle Larson. pic.twitter.com/SscEVpoz1z

— Credit One Bank (@CreditOneBank) April 13, 2020

AND:

Our statement regarding sponsorship of Kyle Larson. pic.twitter.com/ZWe5Q4fnoC

— AdventHealth (@AdventHealth) April 13, 2020

UPDATE: Statement from Kyle Larson:

"I want to say I’m sorry. Last night I made a mistake and said the word that should never, ever, be said. There’s no excuse for that; I wasn’t raised that way. It’s just an awful thing to say. I feel very sorry for my family, my friends, my partners, the NASCAR community, and especially the African-American community. I understand the damage is probably unrepairable, and I own up to that. I want to let you all know how sorry I am. Finally, I just want to say that I hope everyone is staying safe during these crazy times. Thank you."

pic.twitter.com/RPsp7ARIea

— Kyle Larson (@KyleLarsonRacin) April 13, 2020

STATEMENT FROM CHEVY:

Chevrolet suspends relationship with Larson. Chevy spokesperson:
    "Chevrolet has suspended its relationship with Kyle Larson indefinitely, as we do not tolerate this behavior. We will continue to monitor the events surrounding Mr. Larson & are prepared to take additional action."

— Bob Pockrass (@bobpockrass) April 13, 2020

STATEMENT FROM CREDIT ONE:

Statement from Credit One Bank regarding the actions of Kyle Larson. pic.twitter.com/qVcuoXsTCZ

— Credit One Bank (@CreditOneBank) April 13, 2020

UPDATE: Larson has also been suspended from iRacing:

pic.twitter.com/5PidwwqVsd

— iRacing.com (@iRacing) April 13, 2020

UPDATE: Chip Ganassi Racing driver Kyle Larson has been indefinitely suspended from NASCAR following his use of a racial slur on a live stream during an iRacing event Sunday night.

"NASCAR has made diversity and inclusion a priority and will not tolerate the type of language used by Kyle Larson during Sunday’s iRacing event. Our Member Conduct Guidelines are clear in this regard, and we will enforce these guidelines to maintain an inclusive environment for our entire industry and fan base."

The behavioral penalty NASCAR issued Monday cited Sections 12.1 (General Procedures) and 12.8 (NASCAR Member Conduct Guidelines) of the official Rule Book.

Section 12.8.1.e in the NASCAR Rule Book states:

"Member actions that could result in a fine and/or indefinite suspension, or termination:

Public statement and/or communication that criticizes, ridicules, or otherwise disparages another person based upon that person’s race, color, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, or handicapping condition."

— NASCAR–

UPDATE: Chip Ganassi Racing has suspended driver Kyle Larson without pay for the use of a racial slur during an iRacing event on Sunday.

The Chip Ganassi Racing statement says it has suspended Kyle Larson without pay … https://t.co/PF2IWT42EP

— Bob Pockrass (@bobpockrass) April 13, 2020

UPDATE: Statement from NASCAR: "NASCAR is aware of insensitive language used by a driver during an iRacing event on Sunday, and is currently gathering more information."

ORIGINAL POST: For the second time in two weeks, a NASCAR Cup Series driver is in hot water over events that happened in an iRacing/eNASCAR event in the virtual world, that has now impacted their careers in real life.

Last week, Bubba Wallace lost a sponsor when he quit a virtual race being televised on FS1 and now, Kyle Larson is having to explain away a derogatory comment made while trying to link up his iRacing headset to his spotter during a virtual race. The two couldn’t hear one another and Larson exclaimed, "You can’t hear me? Hey, ni****."

Larson was practicing for an iRacing event being hosted by another Cup Series driver and his comment was like a shot heard around the world, both online and off, as other drivers and fans reacted with shock.

The incident didn’t appear to be malicious but the sensitivities involving the racial slur are almost unforgivable in today’s society. It was captured on Larson’s Twitch video stream that can be monitored by fans and other drivers, as well. Larson, who is of Asian descent, drives the No. 42 for Chip Ganassi Racing and is a graduate of the NASCAR diversity program.

See more at Kickin the Tires.

"You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be." -- Albus Dumbledore...

Post Thanks / Like
    Plain stupid.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Saw one story online that quoted Ganassi as telling Larson that he could "return to Ganassi Racing" at some point in the future...
    Just not anytime soon.
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think that was before the sponsors told Ganassi, no to that.