Thread: NASCAR extends race postponements through May 3rd

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation NASCAR extends race postponements through May 3rd

March 16, 2020 at 10:39 PM

NASCAR announced Monday afternoon that they are postponing all events through May 3rd.

Races at Atlanta and Homestead were postponed on Friday. This extension includes Texas, Bristol, Richmond, Talladega, and Dover.

NASCAR’s statement: “The health and safety of our fans, industry and the communities in which we race is our most important priority, so in accordance with recent CDC guidance, NASCAR is currently postponing all race events through May 3rd, with plans to return racing in Martinsville. We appreciate the patience of our fans and we look forward to returning to the race track. We intend to hold all 36 races this season, with future rescheduling soon to be determined as we continue to monitor this situation closely with public health officials and medical experts. What is important now transcends the world of sports and our focus is on everyone’s safety and well-being as we navigate this challenging time together.”

— NASCAR —
    The official NASCAR release. Should be interesting to see how they get all 36 races in...

"You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be." -- Albus Dumbledore...

Post Thanks / Like
    They won't, without doubleheaders (TWO TRUCK RACES ON THE SAME DAY! XFINITY AND CUP RACES ON BOTH SATURDAY AND SUNDAY! ONE DAY NASCAR WEEKENDS!) or running races during the week (The All-Star race at Charlotte on a Wednesday, then the regular Cup the following Sunday?). Maybe if the races were shortened by 50 - 100 laps, then they could better run them on the same day...

Or take a different approach to the schedule--drop some races. I can hear it now--"Cancel a race at MY home track? Then F*** YOU, NASCAR!"

EVERY pro sports organization is possibly set to lose some fans forever, due to their respective "overreacations" to the virus. Saw a story yesterday online, on how some of the Baby Boomer generation is NOT heeding any of the warnings about the virus.
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gnatsum View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They won't, without doubleheaders (TWO TRUCK RACES ON THE SAME DAY! XFINITY AND CUP RACES ON BOTH SATURDAY AND SUNDAY! ONE DAY NASCAR WEEKENDS!) or running races during the week (The All-Star race at Charlotte on a Wednesday, then the regular Cup the following Sunday?). Maybe if the races were shortened by 50 - 100 laps, then they could better run them on the same day...

Or take a different approach to the schedule--drop some races. I can hear it now--"Cancel a race at MY home track? Then F*** YOU, NASCAR!"

EVERY pro sports organization is possibly set to lose some fans forever, due to their respective "overreacations" to the virus. Saw a story yesterday online, on how some of the Baby Boomer generation is NOT heeding any of the warnings about the virus.
    Overreaction? I think it's the right thing to do until they get a handle on this virus... This is one baby boomer that IS heeding the warnings. I was suppose to be in Indy this week for VA Appointments... Guess what? I'm still in Watkins Glen...

"You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be." -- Albus Dumbledore...

4. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gnatsum View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    EVERY pro sports organization is possibly set to lose some fans forever, due to their respective "overreacations" to the virus.
    I don't understand this. It isn't like when players went on strike and people said to hell with them. If you like a sport, you like a sport.

6. Likes TheOldProgrammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because some folks seem to believe that the coronavirus ISN'T THAT BAD!! They think it'll "blow over" in a week or two, that some people WILL die but that's not worth shutting down EVERYTHING in a massive panic! OMG! I HAVE TO SIT IN MY CAR AND EAT IF I GO TO MCDONALDS!!!
    NASCAR, the NBA, the NCAA, MLB, some regular businesses..,according to the 'non-believers:, those organizations are all run by p..."wussies". They don't have the backbone needed to just come out and say, "we don't fear the virus! We are going to operate on a normal schedule! We ain't changing ANYTHING we do!"

One can only cancel so many scheduled events before some enthusiast says "enough is enough!" Get enough like-minded individuals like that together (hell yeah, we're having a meeting, and there are more than ten of us here!!), and ...who knows what will happen? Daring to sit together and eat? Going out in public and living 'carefree'.

Most folks have a limit on how much 'social distancing' they can handle...
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

8. Thanks Night Owl thanked this post
    Likes Night Owl, TheOldProgrammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There have been more deaths by the flu than has been infected by this new evil virus. In my opinion, this started in China and spread by the Chinese to hurt America and Trump. Trump has them bent over a table and China is trying anything to get loose from the nasty, evil Trump. It's time the US tells China no more trade period. Bring manufacturing back home where we have some control over our vital interests.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

10. Thanks gnatsum thanked this post
    Likes TheOldProgrammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We definitely should be making our own medicines. China is not our only problem. Porous borders, lax customs policies at airports and other ports of entry allow us to remain vulnerable.

12. Likes Night Owl, TheOldProgrammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was looking at a NASCAR schedule yesterday. There are only TWO free weekends within its schedule--the last weekend of July and the first weekend of August...and they've cancelled at least seven races. Going to be doubling up somewhere...
    I saw "shorten" the month of May, where they spend two weekends in Charlotte, for starters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This year's schedule already had Pocono running both their races on the same weekend. Maybe others will do that as well. Although, that will be tough to do at places like Texas that has one race in the regular season and one race in the playoffs/chase.

Maybe this year, they can just use the old points system to determine the champion and say the hell with the playoffs.

Post Thanks / Like
    NASCAR used to run races DURING the week back in the "darksider" days, before Winston showed up with money for the Cup. Granted, most of them were at little 1/2-mile and shorter tracks in the middle of nowhere, but they did "run".