Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: To Be or Not to Be

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I suffer the same limitation and so does everyone else. That's why God (Jesus Christ) established a church and gave that church an infallible guide, the Holy Spirit. It is the mission of that church to teach. Because of my finite mind, I choose to listen to the teaching of that church which has perdured for over 2000 years, the same church which, by the way, gave us the Bible. We all have a choice. I can only hope that I have made the right one. I do not love any person less if he or she makes a different choice.
    Not gonna beat that horse again, but there are some churches out there have billions of dollars hidden away and it is gathering dust when it should have been used to spread Gods word and not the pockets of the higher ups in those churches. Two come readily to mind. The first is the Mormons, I'll let you guess the second. Both claim to be doing Gods work when they, on the face of things, are not doing Gods work but the churches work which is to enrich themselves.
    Last edited by Night Owl; March 3rd, 2020 at 1:07 AM.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

2. Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by txswimmer View Post
    Oh, it's God's doctrine? Guess I missed than when I read the Bible. Could you direct me to that passage?

No? Because it does not exist. The doctrine you profess is based on one (or more) Christian sect's interpretation of the Bible. And let me emphasize interpretation.

When my cousin killed himself, I remember my mother thanking God he wasn't Catholic, because he would not have been allowed a Christian burial. That doctrine of the Catholic church has somewhat been modified. Why? Maybe it's because the Church (universal) is reexamining a lot of doctrine, and has been throughout the centuries.

If the doctrine you profess is your belief, more power to you. Don't do gay. Or dance, or drink or whatever.

I do not presume to know the Mind of God. The Alpha and the Omega. My mind is finite - I cannot comprehend infinity. I search for truth based on Christ's commandment to Love. That this doctrine works for you is good - keep sharing. Just be prepared to understand when people respectfully disagree.
    The issue is that MANY Christians (or "Christians") seem to believe that ALLOWING certain things to be, like homosexuality, alcohol consumption, dancing, eating shellfish, etc. is tantamount to APPROVING that behaviour, and if their particular religious faith or belief says it is bad, then they tend to belief that they aren't going to Heaven...because they "allowed" gays to exist and drink alcohol at Red Lobster on the day of the Sabbath...
    Putting an end to ALL ungodly things, will help them enter God's Kingdom...
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I'm not so sure that anyone gave the church the mission of "teaching? I don't recall ever seeing that. To inform? Oh yeow, you bet that's a mission.
    You may not ever have gotten to the end of Matthew's gospel. If you had you would have read, "Then the eleven disciples (that's all that was left of the original twelve since Judas offed himself) went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them. And when they saw him, they worshiped him: but some doubted. And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye (His original church) therefore, and teach (not my word, His) all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching (ibd.) them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Also: You can do a lot more than "hope you made the right choice", Ludwig. You can believe and have faith that you made the right choice.....mac
    You're a better man than I am if you can do that. I can only hope that I will be in grace at my departure from this AO because I fall so often. I have to pray Psalm 50(51) often.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Swimmer: Not all communities that profess to be "Christian Communities" are, in fact "Christian Communities", not by a long shot......mac
    I have major disagreements with some Christian sects, but I am not going to say that the members are not Christian. We can ALL be blinded by false prophets, of which there are a multitude. Many on TV. I have had to deal with priests in my own church community that fell fall short of their mission, and led many astray, causing disruption and strife within the community. Some followed them - most just wished them gone. I don't think that those that followed the errent priests were not Christian, but, alas, they were led astray. The Church is a human organization, and we all fall short of the Glory of God.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gnatsum View Post
    The issue is that MANY Christians (or "Christians") seem to believe that ALLOWING certain things to be, like homosexuality, alcohol consumption, dancing, eating shellfish, etc. is tantamount to APPROVING that behaviour, and if their particular religious faith or belief says it is bad, then they tend to belief that they aren't going to Heaven...because they "allowed" gays to exist and drink alcohol at Red Lobster on the day of the Sabbath...
    Putting an end to ALL ungodly things, will help them enter God's Kingdom...
    Is slavery ungodly? Is killing your son because he badmouths you ungodly? Is stoning the adulterer ungodly? Is divorce ungodly? Faith in the redemptive Grace of Christ is what makes us Christian. How to lead a godly life depends on interpretation of scripture. Are we bound to follow the 600+ commandments of the Torah? An early Christian view was that belief in Christ did not absolve us from following Jewish law. Peter was big on it - James was big on it - Paul was not. Paul won.

Personally, I sin if I drink, because it is horrendous for me and almost killed me. I was saved from that, and to drink would be to turn my back on God. But that is MY sin - no one else's, in my book. Jesus turned water into wine. I think people drank a lot at the wedding, they ran out, so He made more. But, some Christians believe it absolutely forbidden to imbibe. Good for them, I guess.

My point is that we are going to disagree in the Christian community about what is Godly or ungodly. It is above my pay grade to judge anyone's immortal soul. On the other hand, those that believe I have erred, and pray for me with love (as would Ludwig), I appreciate. I will thank someone for a prayer any day.
    Last edited by txswimmer; March 3rd, 2020 at 10:28 AM.

7. Likes gnatsum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sin is against God... It may effect the ones being sinned at, but in the end, all sin is towards God.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=txswimmer;500881 Is divorce ungodly? .[/QUOTE]

Well Swimmer, breaking your marriage is breaking a promise to God.......so, you tell me, Swimmer, is that "unGodly" or not?........mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Amen.

You're a better man than I am if you can do that. I can only hope that I will be in grace at my departure from this AO because I fall so often. I have to pray Psalm 50(51) often.
    well Ludwig, I'm not a "better man", but I definitely know that I am, through grace, saved and will see the Savior in heaven........if jewels and crowns are like "chevrons, i'll prob'ly be a slick sleeve but that's OK...

thanx, for the response on "teaching"......mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well Swimmer, breaking your marriage is breaking a promise to God.......so, you tell me, Swimmer, is that "unGodly" or not?........mac
    Good question.......... If a man beats his wife severely, what is she too do? Some Christians say keep the marriage. Some say divorce is more than acceptable. You tell me - when is it godly to divorce? When is it ungodly?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by txswimmer View Post
    Good question.......... If a man beats his wife severely, what is she too do? Some Christians say keep the marriage. Some say divorce is more than acceptable. You tell me - when is it godly to divorce? When is it ungodly?
    not sure I can answer that. obviously the Christlike thing to do is to forgive him......but if that happened to one of my girls, I kind of think they'd leave him and come home to her parents.....and leave the rest of it up to me........mac

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast