Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Washer Drain Line

Post Thanks / Like

Washer Drain Line

The phone rings at 530 last night and my daughter askes my why water would be coming out of the wall, specifically the wall behind the washer. I told her, it could be the water valve, a hose, a pipe or a clog in the drain. I run over there and sure enough the drain after 33 years had gotten full of crap and goo and when the rinse or spin cycle came on water pumped at a faster velocity than wash and it cause a back up. . This is especially true when one does a lot of cold water washing, the liquid soap and the cold water make for a slop that will clog a pipe. A bottle of Drano and a pitcher or two of steaming hot water and all is well.

I started doing some reading online and found that is a pretty common occurrence over time, especially with hard water and liquid soap. Just thought I would share as a lot of us have been in our homes for a long time, and to me this was the first time for something like this. And fixing this certainly saved a service call.....
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

2. Thanks Rick, CenTexDave thanked this post
    Likes Ricky, kantwin, shawnricheson, Gramps liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Muriatic acid cleans just about anything out of a plugged drain.

Most swimming pool stores sell it in gallon jugs. That, or use a snake, and that is no rock solid solution.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

4. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Muriatic acid cleans just about anything out of a plugged drain.

Most swimming pool stores sell it in gallon jugs. That, or use a snake, and that is no rock solid solution.
    There is not a "snake" available to the average homeowner that is long enough to do the job. Many homes, like mine, have a shared line for their kitchen sink/garbage disposal, and dishwasher. This greatly compounds the problem with goop.

Before you use Muriatic Acid, which is available at Walmart, Lowe's, and Home Depot, please read this article: https://www.doityourself.com/stry/us...o-clean-drains. Your plumbing, not to mention your body, will appreciate it.
    Last edited by Ludwig; February 13th, 2020 at 10:51 AM.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably not a good idea for me to use Muriatic acid on a septic . . .

7. Likes Mestral liked this post
    LOL Mestral, CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Draino is a base. Super alkaline. Sodium Hydroxide.

Muriatic acid is Hydrochloric and salt. It'll eat concrete like Styrofoam dunked in gasoline if it's poured in strength.

If I was using it. After the drain is cleared. I'd dump a couple boxes of baking soda down the drain to neutralize the acid and call it a day. There should be nothing but plastic pipes. It'll dilute to nothing in a concrete septic tank. Unless you go wild and pour gallons down the drain.
    Last edited by Grasshopperglock; February 13th, 2020 at 1:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    A bottle of Drano and a pitcher or two of steaming hot water and all is well.
    Fred: How do you get that Drano mixture introduced (quickly) into your pipes?.....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopperglock View Post
    Draino is a base. Super alkaline. Sodium Hydroxide.

Muriatic acid is Hydrochloric and salt. It'll eat concrete like Styrofoam dunked in gasoline if it's poured in strength.

If I was using it. After the drain is cleared. I'd dump a couple boxes of baking soda down the drain to neutralize the acid and call it a day. There should be nothing but plastic pipes. It'll dilute to nothing in a concrete septic tank. Unless you go wild and pour gallons down the drain.
    and, it'll do the same thing, in spades, to toilet stools, sinks, and bathtubs...........mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

11. Likes Grasshopperglock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Fred: How do you get that Drano mixture introduced (quickly) into your pipes?.....mac
    I used a funnel with a plastic tube attached to the narrow end. I poured the liquid, not gel Drano slowly into the funnel and it went down the drain pipe no problem. I was able to "quick pour" the hot water without the funnel. She has been washing all day today and no issues. This method seemd to have solved the problem . I asked her to do more hot water washing.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    I used a funnel with a plastic tube attached to the narrow end. I poured the liquid, not gel Drano slowly into the funnel and it went down the drain pipe no problem. I was able to "quick pour" the hot water without the funnel. She has been washing all day today and no issues. This method seemd to have solved the problem . I asked her to do more hot water washing.
    'ppreciate it. yeow, that's the way I do it to, thought their might be a better way...............mac

14. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reminds me of AC unit drainage lines. For some reason, in the hot humid summer months, they get algae and fungus up in them and plug up. The last time this happened to me (this past summer) it flooded inside the house and I had to call an AC repairman to come and replace a section of the drainage pipe. He told me my problem was in the "P" trap, which was plugged, and that the trap was only required by code in homes that have natural gas in them. I don't, so he cut out the plugged section and put in another straight piece.

Since then, about once a month, I will run bleach of CLR down the pipe and it has, so far, worked fine. Now, for my dryer exhaust vent line.....

Muriatic acid is what I used to use for plugged up urinals at the airport and for cleaning my pools painted surfaces prior to repainting them. It works well in those roles. Not sure about all the other stuff that everyone else is reporting here, but so far, I haven't had problems with using it in small applications. Never a whole gallon jug, mind you.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

16. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast