Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Washer Drain Line

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reminds me of AC unit drainage lines. For some reason, in the hot humid summer months, they get algae and fungus up in them and plug up. The last time this happened to me (this past summer) it flooded inside the house and I had to call an AC repairman to come and replace a section of the drainage pipe. He told me my problem was in the "P" trap, which was plugged, and that the trap was only required by code in homes that have natural gas in them. I don't, so he cut out the plugged section and put in another straight piece.

Since then, about once a month, I will run bleach of CLR down the pipe and it has, so far, worked fine. Now, for my dryer exhaust vent line.....

Muriatic acid is what I used to use for plugged up urinals at the airport and for cleaning my pools painted surfaces prior to repainting them. It works well in those roles. Not sure about all the other stuff that everyone else is reporting here, but so far, I haven't had problems with using it in small applications. Never a whole gallon jug, mind you.
    Bleach in the drain line at every filter change. Consider it as required maintenance.

Keep a small bottle of regular strength and a funnel in the A.C. Closet.

If the drain is in the attic. Once a month you'll have to climb up there. There's no way around it. It has to have bleach poured down the drain. Or else, things get funky, water backs up. Screws something up.

Bleach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is not in the attic. Runs from the inside unit to the outside of the house in standard PVC pipes.

I already have the bleach and funnel in the AC closet. Saves time trying to hunt them down later. Only roof climbing I may have to do is for the dryer vent. And my chimney sweep does that for a very modest fee. I still need him to come and do my chimney this year. What I really need to do is replace the inside of the fireplace, and I think he does that but it has been a while since I called him, so I am not even sure he is still above ground or not. The inside is made for Rudy poo fire logs and not the oak I use all the time. The fake brick inside is starting to crack a bit and I do not want a chimney fire either. That and the pipes need cleaning, but I can probably do that myself if I get energetic enough. And any more, that's a big if.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

3. Likes Grasshopperglock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reminds me of AC unit drainage lines. For some reason, in the hot humid summer months, they get algae and fungus up in them and plug up.
    A couple of years ago I had to call the AC repairman out for a clogged drainage line (and pay the ultra high Saturday service call fee) the repairman told me that next time the line plugged to connect my wet vac to the line and suck the crud out to avoid the service call. Tried that when the line clogged last summer and it worked like a charm.
    "Any Society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

"My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman

5. Thanks Mestral thanked this post
    Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The wet vac is the answer. I make a seal with my hand and it works really well.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is not in the attic. Runs from the inside unit to the outside of the house in standard PVC pipes.

I already have the bleach and funnel in the AC closet. Saves time trying to hunt them down later. Only roof climbing I may have to do is for the dryer vent. And my chimney sweep does that for a very modest fee. I still need him to come and do my chimney this year. What I really need to do is replace the inside of the fireplace, and I think he does that but it has been a while since I called him, so I am not even sure he is still above ground or not. The inside is made for Rudy poo fire logs and not the oak I use all the time. The fake brick inside is starting to crack a bit and I do not want a chimney fire either. That and the pipes need cleaning, but I can probably do that myself if I get energetic enough. And any more, that's a big if.

glad you mentioned that, I need to get him out here too, for the same reason plus to re-crown the chimney and put on a new cap/spark arrestor. It'll be a good year for him at my place this time around......mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a shop vac too... But last time it didn't work because the mold or whatever the gunk in the line was had hardened. I have a friend who owns his own AC/Electrical company swing by and he even back flushed it with a hose to no avail. We had to replace the drain pan on the unit, and that didn't work. That was when he sent one of his techs over and the hard clog was discovered. It cost me about $250 for the repair, but I learned something about clogged PVC so it was almost worth it.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    CLR or plain old bleach.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    CLR or plain old bleach.
    You'd think it would kill the grass around the drain. Nope. The drain for my a.c. comes out by the compressor. It doesn't faze anything. I have some Texas toads that occupy the front porch. The only other moist place besides the potted plants is the drain pipe area.

They don't mind it either. At least, the best I can tell. The weeds definitely don't mind.

11. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    CLR or plain old bleach.
    how much CLR, Dave? One can or more?....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use bleach. One cup a month when I change the filter.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

14. Likes sojourner truth liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast