Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Released Results of UMHB's Self Reported Violations

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This whole thing is one of the big reasons why sports should not be in universities and colleges.
    Totally agree....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    This whole thing is one of the big reasons why sports should not be in universities and colleges.

Just what impression do these college athletics take out of these places. It seems they are learning "if I can get away with it, it is ok". Is that really what universities and college should be teaching?

It seems Every college does this pay but don't tell anyone.
    well, i don't really care all that much about "impressions" or even perceptions.....actually could give a rats ass about it. BUT, I'm sick and tired of seein' my tax money used to play ball games, just drives me nuts....reminds me of Nero and his use of games to forestall his demise and attempt to placate the Roman citizen....or the lady who said "let 'em eat cake" when they couldn't buy or afford bread to eat....some folks, when they get in high places, completely forget what's really important to the rest of us....and how we live....(and die)....mac
    Last edited by mac; August 19th, 2020 at 12:01 AM.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    some folks, when they get in high places, completely forget what's really important to the rest of us....and how we live....(and die)....mac
    mac, you're a genius...cause that statement right there pretty much describes every politician of every persuasion (at every level) and every celebrity be it sports, music, actors, actresses, etc etc etc.

4. Likes Night Owl, sojourner truth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    mac, I will agree with you about one thing for sure. People that are rich and/or powerful forget what it is like for "everyday" people. It's not only the rich and powerful, tho, that forget. It is the comfortable everyday person that sometimes forgets about the people that are not as fortunate as they are. Sometimes when I go to Walmart or some other places I see some people that I know aren't as fortunate as I am, realizing how lucky and blessed that I am, knowing how they have to struggle with so many things, socially and financially for whatever reason or reasons. I think sometimes there are not many people that really have empathy or caring for other people, regardless of their social or economic situation in life,... whether they are rich, powerful, or not. Rather than being empathetic, they are just very, very quick to place blame.
    As I discussed earlier, most of the big schools that play sports, especially football, on tv and get the headlines are self-sustaining. I gave you facts in a couple of earlier posts about that. They, in many cases, actually pay their own way and contribute millions of dollars along with desired PR to their university. That certainly is not the case for many schools, but for some schools, it is.
    If you are against sports in schools, which you so vehemently express whenever you can, that is always your perogative and choice like everyone has. If that is the case, do whatever you can to change it, if you do not like it.... Unfortunately, however, that is not our culture right now, to have it changed. That is why millions and millions of people go to games and watch sports on tv, every chance they get. Everyone has their priorities.
    Some people like to go to the gun range, some people like to hunt, some people fish, some people like to play dominos, chew tobacco and spit, , or maybe just sit on their porch and rock to enjoy life. People have all kinds of things that they enjoy..that don't cost the taxpayer anything.
    Concerning sports, and their popularity, that is just part of our culture now, but if you don't like it, that's very understandable.
    Last edited by sickofpc; August 19th, 2020 at 9:58 AM.

6. Likes gnatsum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ExKilleencitizen View Post
    mac, you're a genius...cause that statement right there pretty much describes every politician of every persuasion (at every level) and every celebrity be it sports, music, actors, actresses, etc etc etc.
    why.......thank you, Sir!.......mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sickofpc View Post
    mac, ...........Concerning sports, and their popularity, that is just part of our culture now, but if you don't like it, that's very understandable.
    you miss the point! whether or not I like it has absolutely nothing to do with it. What I don't like is paying for it at the expense of my own family's dinner table!...hence the "let 'em eat cake" line....mac
    Last edited by mac; August 19th, 2020 at 1:53 PM.

9. LOL sickofpc LOL'd at this post
    Saddened by sickofpc is saddened by this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sickofpc View Post
    mac,
    As I discussed earlier, most of the big schools that play sports, especially football, on tv and get the headlines are self-sustaining.

well, again you miss the point....maybe it's me. it just can't be that it's always your fault. but, anywho, I could give a rat's ass less about what those schools who's sports programs are self sustaining.............as long as they leave their hand out of my pockets and off of my billfold!

I sort of doubt if any KISD sports program is "self sustaining" and I, you and many of us out here are forced to pick up the slack.....and it just irritates the hell out of me when I see one of my hard earned dollars is taken away from me so my neighbor's kid can have a great ole time playing ball.

I would have absolutely no problem with a city team called the Lowe's Lions or the Home Depot Hellcats.......or even the Hallmark Hellions.....city teams sponsored by willing businesses and citizens....just keep the tax money out of it.....my neighbors I will gladly pay or help pay for your son's education but not his play time...... out of our disposable income....mac

11. Thanks Night Owl thanked this post
    Likes Rick liked this post
    LOL sickofpc LOL'd at this post
    Saddened by sickofpc is saddened by this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    mac,...I..I miss the point??? YOU miss the point, completely. Know that is so, so hard for you to believe. Read what is said and should...should be understood.

You don't like your hard, hard earned tax dollars paying for sports, correct? You don't like it..Isn't that your whole deal, your mantra, so to speak, that you always harp on? But,.. it doesn't matter whether you like it or not??? Oooooook
    Last edited by sickofpc; August 19th, 2020 at 2:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    mac, your tax money to the ISD goes to keeping their sports facilities--the football stadium, the running track inside the stadium, the baseball/softball fields, the gymnasium where they play basketball and volleyball, and in some places, a swimming pool--going on a yearly basis. Gotta keep some of the kids properly motivated and off the streets...
    And the tax money to the City goes to maintaining its ball fields, and the pool, and the athletic center with all of the exercise equipment inside...and then there's the hike and bike trail.
    County tax money goes to similar items. Same for the State and the Feds (the Feds have all of those nice National Parks to maintain, and the salaries of the Park Rangers...

You don't get out much, do you?
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

14. Likes sickofpc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gnatsum View Post
    Gotta keep some of the kids properly motivated and off the streets...
    That should be the parent's job.

16. Likes CenTexDave, Night Owl liked this post
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast