Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Released Results of UMHB's Self Reported Violations

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    where do they get that authority from? I hate to keep comin' back with all these questions but the whole thing just doesn't make a lick of sense to me.......i just don't see how if one school team wants to play another school team........who in the hell has the right to tell 'em they can't do it?.......mac
    The NCAA has the right since they are the ruling body. If a college doesn't want to play by those rules then they can stop playing sports. All colleges have the right to leave the NCAA and go on their own, nothing stopping them. Except all major colleges are part of the NCAA. The NCAA is an amateur organization and all colleges agree to play by the NCAA rules.

its kinda like the Army, there are set rules for colleges kinda like the UCMJ.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

2. Thanks gnatsum, CenTexDave thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    The NCAA has the right since they are the ruling body. If a college doesn't want to play by those rules then they can stop playing sports. All colleges have the right to leave the NCAA and go on their own, nothing stopping them. Except all major colleges are part of the NCAA. The NCAA is an amateur organization and all colleges agree to play by the NCAA rules.

its kinda like the Army, there are set rules for colleges kinda like the UCMJ.
    oh, ok, i think i'm startin' to get it now. so this NCAA group is something that the schools themselves choose to join or not......and now they're bitchin' about the rules of an organization that they themselves chose and choose to join and, I guess, they prob'ly even pay some sort of dues or fees to belong to!.......got it.....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

4. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They pretty much have carte blanche on inter-collegiate athletics, although every once in a while courts rule against them.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the information. I had pretty much heard that those were the infractions, but I thought surely there was more to the violations than that...
    That was the worst punishment I have ever heard of being given to a university besides the death penalty that was given to SMU.
    I personally know of several violations by schools that were much worse than what Fredenburg did, but of course they weren't reported. I guess rather than no harm, no foul, it is in some cases, no report, no foul, no punishment.
    The other night I was watching Jay Leno's show about his cars that he has. He had Terry Bradshaw on his show, and Terry mentioned that he used to drive an old car on dates and around that one of the coaches had at LaTech.
    Last edited by sickofpc; August 18th, 2020 at 11:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    There have been a lot worse than SMU's infractions that's never been reported. Saw a news story in D Magazine a year or so ago (older issue) that looked back at the SMU penalty case (D looked back at the 25 biggest news stories in Dallas over the existence of that magazine).
    For one, the kid who ratted SMU out was the beneficiary of a booster's pay plan, but then the kid was kicked out of school or was dropped from the football program due to injuries (I forgot which), and he discovered the money from the booster stopped coming, so he cried to Channel 8 and sportscaster Dale Hansen.

In the D magazine retrospective, Hansen noted that he was from Nebraska before he started on his broadcasting career, and was a dyed-in-the-wool Cornhusker fan. He said that a 'Husker player he knew back then (played in the '70s), came to him after the SMU scandal hit and said "Dale, we were taking money at Nebraska, too!!"
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    They pretty much have carte blanche on inter-collegiate athletics, although every once in a while courts rule against them.
    why in the world would the courts be involved in anything that is called "inter-collegiate athletics" other a suit or violation of a federal/state/county or municipal crime? isn't this whole business sort of akin to something like an HOA where one of the residents calls foul because he threw his back out while scooping snow or raking leaves?......or a KKKluxer complaining because his sheet caused him overheat? the whole damned business doesn't make a lick of sense to me.....mac
    Last edited by mac; August 18th, 2020 at 3:22 PM.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still say UMHB got screwed
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

10. Likes sickofpc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    gnatsum, I used to really enjoy Dale Hansen's sportscasts.....then, he seemed like he changed into more of a modern day muckraker, to me...altho I still enjoyed his show. It just wasn't the same.
    Did you ever see his video "Thank God for Kids", sung by the Oak Ridge Boys ,that he played at Christmas?... I really looked forward to seeing that video...every Christmas.
    You are very much correct about other programs that were paying. Back during this time period there were quite a few schools that had players on the payroll and/or driving new cars, along with other perks. ...Seeing the consequences of SMU's death penalty, and the effect it had on their program, it caused a lot of schools to "hunker down" with the payments, but....it still went on to a certain extent. I would strongly suspect that it still is.
    Last edited by sickofpc; August 18th, 2020 at 6:29 PM.

12. Thanks gnatsum thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    Still say UMHB got screwed
    well, if they did, hopefully they'll have the smarts to divorce themselves from the organization that did the screwin'....but it kinda sounds 'consensual' to me....i also think that the NCAA needs the school more than the school needs the NCAA........mac
    Last edited by mac; August 18th, 2020 at 6:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This whole thing is one of the big reasons why sports should not be in universities and colleges.

Just what impression do these college athletics take out of these places. It seems they are learning "if I can get away with it, it is ok". Is that really what universities and college should be teaching?

It seems Every college does this pay but don't tell anyone.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast