Thread: Graduation Time

Post Thanks / Like

Graduation Time

In blistering graduation speeches, two teenagers called out their high school for employing “unqualified teachers” and committing “unlawful acts” before one’s microphone was cut.

According to the Detroit Metro Times, Universal Academy Salutatorian Tuhfa Kasem, 17, criticized the Detroit school and its overseeing body, Hamadeh Educational Services, in her June graduation speech.

Teacher Phillip Leslie, who told Fox 2 Detroit he was fired from Universal after complaining about the school’s scant resources, posted on YouTube a written version of Kasem’s speech and a video of her classmates screaming, “Talk louder!” when her microphone was cut.
    Leslie also posted a video of senior Zainab Atalagni’s speech, who reportedly said, “Like a machine, this school is run on excuses and lies.” Atalagni finished her entire speech without interruption.
    Kasem spoke of “dozens of unlawful acts that occur on a regular basis” such as hiring “unqualified” teachers and substitutes and dismissing student frustration. “And when we’d voice our frustrations on the lack of education we’re receiving as students, we’d get quickly shut down with there being a state-wide issue with a need for teachers,” she said. “And while that may be true, can you give me an explanation on why you can’t seem to keep any of the certified teachers that actually do come to this school? You can’t seem to keep any good teacher that are actually here with good intentions for more than a year or max, couple of years.”

Kasem, once class president, alleged that four years ago, eight teachers were fired because “they all attended a board meeting in order to try and better the issues that we students face on the daily, whether it’s lack of resources or the lack of a curriculum.”

She continued: “This nonsense has gone on for way too long and they have tried to silence us many times before, but I thought since I’m graduating this is the perfect opportunity to let out all of the things I’ve endured for far too long. I am surely not doing this for myself as I am gladly leaving. This is to make a change for everyone else.”
    Mario L. Morrow, Sr., an attorney for Hamadeh Educational Services, called the students’ speeches “unfounded” and blamed their actions on alleged jealousy at not earning valedictorian roles.
    Source: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/stud...235724890.html

Post Thanks / Like
    ...and in other scool news;
    An alleged quote by Adolf Hitler made its way into a high school yearbook, undetected by administrators until it was too late.
    "It is not truth that matters, but victory," read the quotation (a version of which has been attributed to the Nazi party leader), published on an unnamed student's personal page, in the Kelso High School yearbook.

And Larsen reported another big mistake: the word “school” was misspelled on a page that opened the yearbook. “Creating the yearbook is a large project worked on by many people,” she told The Daily News. “In the proofing process the misspelling of the word school on the first page wasn’t caught.”
    View photos
    Source: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/scho...211420196.html

Perhaps the "unqualified teachers" from Detroit were doing the proof reading.

3. LOL fchafey LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How many of those Hitler worshipping yearbooks have you been able to buy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many of those Hitler worshipping yearbooks have you been able to buy?
    Good point! With high school yearbooks becoming potential evidence in Senate confirmation hearings, it might be a good idea to get first edition, pre-sanitized copies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    In blistering graduation speeches, two teenagers called out their high school for employing “unqualified teachers” and committing “unlawful acts” before one’s microphone was cut.

According to the Detroit Metro Times, Universal Academy Salutatorian Tuhfa Kasem, 17, criticized the Detroit school and its overseeing body, Hamadeh Educational Services, in her June graduation speech.

Teacher Phillip Leslie, who told Fox 2 Detroit he was fired from Universal after complaining about the school’s scant resources, posted on YouTube a written version of Kasem’s speech and a video of her classmates screaming, “Talk louder!” when her microphone was cut.
    Leslie also posted a video of senior Zainab Atalagni’s speech, who reportedly said, “Like a machine, this school is run on excuses and lies.” Atalagni finished her entire speech without interruption.
    Kasem spoke of “dozens of unlawful acts that occur on a regular basis” such as hiring “unqualified” teachers and substitutes and dismissing student frustration. “And when we’d voice our frustrations on the lack of education we’re receiving as students, we’d get quickly shut down with there being a state-wide issue with a need for teachers,” she said. “And while that may be true, can you give me an explanation on why you can’t seem to keep any of the certified teachers that actually do come to this school? You can’t seem to keep any good teacher that are actually here with good intentions for more than a year or max, couple of years.”

Kasem, once class president, alleged that four years ago, eight teachers were fired because “they all attended a board meeting in order to try and better the issues that we students face on the daily, whether it’s lack of resources or the lack of a curriculum.”

She continued: “This nonsense has gone on for way too long and they have tried to silence us many times before, but I thought since I’m graduating this is the perfect opportunity to let out all of the things I’ve endured for far too long. I am surely not doing this for myself as I am gladly leaving. This is to make a change for everyone else.”
    Mario L. Morrow, Sr., an attorney for Hamadeh Educational Services, called the students’ speeches “unfounded” and blamed their actions on alleged jealousy at not earning valedictorian roles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert II View Post
    More alarming...

Tuhfa Kasem
    Zainab Atalagni
    Hamadeh Educational Services

Fine names to attach to middle America.

7. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    More alarming...

Tuhfa Kasem
    Zainab Atalagni
    Hamadeh Educational Services

Fine names to attach to middle America.
    The whites and the blacks haven't been able to turn Detroit's schools around, so why not let "the foreigners" have a shot?

"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

9. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They have owned the city for 20 plus years now... Maybe they are just slow.
    We have met the enemy and he is us... POGO

Post Thanks / Like
    Was listening to the Rick Roberts show on WBAP last week, and one day, he noted on air (the topic was Democrats) that the Dems have controlled all aspects of the city of Chicago for 94 years, and he wondered out loud why Democrats in Chicago are complaining about everything, when it's painfully obvious to outsiders what the root of the problem in Chicago is (the Dems), and why haven't the citizens of Chicago realized that the Democrats sold the city down the river and just don't care...

"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

12. Likes sojourner truth, fchafey, CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gnatsum View Post
    Was listening to the Rick Roberts show on WBAP last week, and one day, he noted on air (the topic was Democrats) that the Dems have controlled all aspects of the city of Chicago for 94 years, and he wondered out loud why Democrats in Chicago are complaining about everything, when it's painfully obvious to outsiders what the root of the problem in Chicago is (the Dems), and why haven't the citizens of Chicago realized that the Democrats sold the city down the river and just don't care...
    The Democrats are the party of looters and looters don't complain as long as they're receiving loot. The looted don't waste time complaining, they move out of the grasp of the looters or pass their losses on to someone else, often the looters themselves in the form of higher prices. Once everything within their grasp has been looted, looters are then forced to figure out ways to increase their grasp often by demanding loot from outside their jurisdiction (federal aid for greedy looters) and get help from looters at the federal level. I'm sure there's an international looting scheme being developed at the UN right now. Don't complain, loot or move. That's why government was invented.
    T

14. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I don't know... Detroit, Chicago and Baltimore are labeled as the most "racially diverse" cities in America. A true testament to our greatness and the power of the democrat party.

One thing I love about democrats is that they always screw a good thing up then wait for capitalists to come save them so they can do it all over again.
    We have met the enemy and he is us... POGO

16. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post