Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I Guess Bus Drivers Didn't Help With the Bond

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gnatsum View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some ISDs in Texas pay their bus drivers more SOLELY as a retention issue! They have CDls that allow them to drive commercial trucks and buses, and 'the oil patch' was paying beaucoup money to truck drivers to make runs to and from well sites a few years ago. Not sure if the oil and gas folks are still reeling it in.
    The point was then, the schools had to step up to keep their drivers, lest they leave and never come back. Killeen ISD appears to have a different mentality.
    Texas issues 3 types of CDLs, just because a person drives a school bus it does not allow them to operate large trucks.
    How do I apply for a Commercial Driver License?
    What is a commercial driver license (CDL)?
    Operating large commercial motor vehicles requires specialized skills and training that must be learned. A CDL is a professional license permitting the holder of the license to drive those large commercial vehicles and buses on public roadways in Texas and in the United States. This license demonstrates that you have been trained, tested, and are qualified to safely operate large commercial motor vehicles.
    What types of CDLs are there?
    To obtain a CDL, it will be necessary for you to determine which class you will need. There are three basic classes of CDLs:
    Class A Permits the holder to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle or vehicles towed exceeds 10,000 pounds.
    Class B Permits the holder to operate any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, anyone one of those vehicles towing a vehicle that does not exceed 10,000 pounds GVWR, and any vehicle designed to transport 24 passengers or more, including the driver. If the skills test is taken in a bus with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds, the holder will be restricted to operating busses under 26,001 pounds GVWR.
    Class C Permits the holder to operate any single vehicle or combination of vehicles that is not a Class A or B if the vehicle is designed to transport 16 to 23 passengers including the driver, or used in the transportation of hazardous materials that require the vehicle to be placarded under 49 CFR, Part 172, Subpart F.

There can also be endorsements needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think they get a class B CDL... My wife and I talked about this issue a bit today mostly because she was remembering her days taking UIL students to meets out of town on a Saturday morning. Many times, the bus was not there when it was supposed to be, and the drivers do make extra for those trips.

Then the crunch in the system was that no matter how many students were going, a bus from the district was the only acceptable means of transportation. This particularly irked her when the bus didn't show up on time, and they missed the event. I understand the liability issues, and it had to be very frustrating. One other thing she was telling me about was how 20 students would sign up to go and only 2 or 3 would actually show up. No phone call, no reason, no "Gee, I must have overslept" excuses... Just no shows. A whole bus and a driver for 4 students going to Waco.
    We have met the enemy and he is us... POGO

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by just2cents View Post
    Texas issues 3 types of CDLs, just because a person drives a school bus it does not allow them to operate large trucks.
    How do I apply for a Commercial Driver License?
    What is a commercial driver license (CDL)?
    Operating large commercial motor vehicles requires specialized skills and training that must be learned. A CDL is a professional license permitting the holder of the license to drive those large commercial vehicles and buses on public roadways in Texas and in the United States. This license demonstrates that you have been trained, tested, and are qualified to safely operate large commercial motor vehicles.
    What types of CDLs are there?
    To obtain a CDL, it will be necessary for you to determine which class you will need. There are three basic classes of CDLs:
    Class A – Permits the holder to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle or vehicles towed exceeds 10,000 pounds.
    Class B – Permits the holder to operate any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, anyone one of those vehicles towing a vehicle that does not exceed 10,000 pounds GVWR, and any vehicle designed to transport 24 passengers or more, including the driver. If the skills test is taken in a bus with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds, the holder will be restricted to operating busses under 26,001 pounds GVWR.
    Class C – Permits the holder to operate any single vehicle or combination of vehicles that is not a Class A or B if the vehicle is designed to transport 16 to 23 passengers including the driver, or used in the transportation of hazardous materials that require the vehicle to be placarded under 49 CFR, Part 172, Subpart F.

There can also be endorsements needed.
    Most of what I know came from media stories when I was working for a civil engineering company in the Midland/Odessa area a few years ago. The Odessa ISD was having trouble hiring and retaining school bus drivers, because the oil & gas companies out there, plus the 'hotshot' hauling agencies, were paying at least double what the ISD paid a bus driver. Not sure if Midland ISD had the same issue.
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

4. Likes just2cents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Chris Farley.....

"I hit the ball as hard as I can. If I can find it, I hit it again" John Daly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2