Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Senior Citizen

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by txswimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am like my elders, of whom only one is left in my extended family - we all hate old people. I like old fashioned values, but am open to new ones that actually promote community (which we have all but lost, it seems), prosperity, and the general welfare.. On the other hand, I hate the narrow minded, paranoid, complaining old people that can only yell "get off of my lawn"! All of my elders were extremely active, engaging, and curious about all the world had to offer until the day they died. I never thought of them as being old. They were Seniors, and I respected them. I am older. I am a senior, but I will never be a grumpy old man.
    Why would you not want to be a "grumpy old man"? Look what happened to Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau - got Ann Margret and Sophia Loren!!!!!!!!!!
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

2. Likes just2cents liked this post
    LOL fchafey, txswimmer LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    could you perhaps expound on that.....platitudes sort of leave me .......empty. What new values that, as you say, "promote community,...... prosperity and the general welfare" are you "open to"?....or maybe just a handful of new values regardless of what they do or don't promote. The reason I ask is that I'm not sure that I've seen any new values since since Ike.......mac
    I think tolerance has expanded, which is good, whether it be racial, religious, or what have you. I think inclusiveness helps build a sense of community. One of the reasons I like Killeen as opposed to Temple - it is multicultural. Need to turn that into a positive and build more community based on the strength of our diversity. I am open to fair trade internationally, because it is a cornerstone of capitalism. I am all for a restoration of charity, as opposed to government taking care of everything - I suppose that is not "new", but it is growing again. I believe in the value of progress of science and technology, which some old people hate. I may not understand it, but it is fascinating.

4. Likes gnatsum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by txswimmer View Post
    I think tolerance has expanded, which is good, whether it be racial, religious, or what have you. I think inclusiveness helps build a sense of community. One of the reasons I like Killeen as opposed to Temple - it is multicultural. Need to turn that into a positive and build more community based on the strength of our diversity. I am open to fair trade internationally, because it is a cornerstone of capitalism. I am all for a restoration of charity, as opposed to government taking care of everything - I suppose that is not "new", but it is growing again. I believe in the value of progress of science and technology, which some old people hate. I may not understand it, but it is fascinating.
    i guess i don't consider any of those things as values.......but that's ok. at least now I know what you were referring to......mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Being old is just fine with me... Happy hour is a nap, tying you shoes is an all day event, getting lucky means finding a quarter in the couch, and you sit there on the edge of the bed with one sock off and one sock on wondering if you are getting up or going to bed. Plus your memory is so shot you make new friends all over again all the time.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

7. LOL CenTexDave, txswimmer, gnatsum LOL'd at this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2