Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the Union

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

State of the Union

The President “shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient.” Article II, Section 3, Clause 1.
    The arbiters of today's truth seem to regard Nancy Pelosi's refusal to have the State of the Union address given in the House chambers as some sort of victory for Pelosi that prevents the President from giving the address at all, but as I read the constitution there's no requirement that the information be given to Congress as a speech. I think it would be interesting to deliver the State of the Union from a rally at a private venue packed with the President's supporters all wearing MAGA hats and chanting "Build the wall". Recordings of the rally could be mailed to each member of Congress thus fulfilling the constitutional obligation that the information be provided to Congress. I suspect Pelosi would have a serious case of butt hurt were the State of the Union to be presented in this format - or there's always this:

2. Likes CenTexDave, shawnricheson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who has decided that "from time to time" means annually? He could just skip this year and the next.

Le mot catholique n’est pas un gros mot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very true, and there is no requirement as to how much information the President is to give Congress either. The President could simply say; "The state of the union has improved immensely since my inauguration and is expected to continue to improve under my leadership in direct proportion to the deference given my policies. Thank you and be sure to grab an autographed photo on the way out."

5. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert II View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The arbiters of today's truth seem to regard Nancy Pelosi's refusal to have the State of the Union address given in the House chambers as some sort of victory for Pelosi that prevents the President from giving the address at all, but as I read the constitution there's no requirement that the information be given to Congress as a speech. I think it would be interesting to deliver the State of the Union from a rally at a private venue packed with the President's supporters all wearing MAGA hats and chanting "Build the wall". Recordings of the rally could be mailed to each member of Congress thus fulfilling the constitutional obligation that the information be provided to Congress. I suspect Pelosi would have a serious case of butt hurt were the State of the Union to be presented in this format - or there's always this:
    There was some "talk" on Conservative radio talk shows last week about using the SENATE chambers to do the SotU speech, but it is a LOT smaller (100 Senator desks vs. 435 House desks), but one show host claimed that there would be enough "room for everyone"...if the Democratic Senators and House Representatives who hate Trump, stayed out.

"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

7. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Make you wonder who gets to make out the invitation list. Leave the democrats out, and also McKowski, Collins and the other democrats with Rs behind their names.

Seems like there should be plenty of room for about 46 people and maybe the one democrat who votes republican.

If nothing else, Pelosi can claim she made history being the only Speaker to ever deny the president the house floor to deliver the SOTU.
    We have met the enemy and he is us... POGO

9. Thanks Night Owl thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now that the shutdown has been declared over, will Pelosi invite Trump for the SOTU on Tuesday?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rent FedEX Field - home of the Washington Redskins - and hold it there. Too cold for some to attend?
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Set it up in Pelosis home district and have everyone get a good look at all the homeless on the streets, or the feces squads that are hosing it off the streets along with all of the dirty used needles.

13. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe Trump could do the SotU like one of Jimmuh Carter's old "fireside chats".
    Just sit three in a comfortable chair, and explain how good a job he's doing, or trying to do in the face of all those Democrats trying to thwart his actions.

But I don't know. Trump in a sweater, sitting by a White House fireplace? Not sure that The Donald is capable of pulling it off with any degree of sincerity and personal warmth...

Then there's the sticky matter of the "response from the other party". Can the Dems lie enough to hit ALL of Trumps accomplishments, and who is the "lucky dog" in the Dems who actually gets to deliver the response?

"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post Thanks / Like
    News today is that it is set for the 10th of Feb. now... That is unless her highness decides to hold it up until after the next shutdown on the 15th...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast