Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Roofing Companies

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by downtown1974 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reese Roofing is good and fair.!! I would avoid Martinez tar and leak and give and price.. starts work and then wants more $$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    uh oh, downtown, you may be in a world of deep kimchi now........maybe you can get admin to delete this for you and hope no one got a "screen grab".......mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    Yep... We used a storm chaser last time mostly because we almost had to since nobody else was available for 6 months or more due to the huge numbers of roofs that needed repairing.

Some retreads from Colorado. They had to be scammers too since they did the "no deductible" option and the cost of the job was, amazingly, exactly what the insurance company said they would pay. Those are the ones you have to watch out for. Get the insurance companies quote first, do not tell the roofer what it is, and then get your estimate from them. If the insurance company says $11,000 and the roofer says the same, they are not worth the effort.

I went down and got the actual cost of the shingles, vents, and paper needed for the job and compared it to the roofers estimate and there was a considerable mark up. I will wait the time next time and go with a local company that has a good reputation. Lange roofing had a horrible wait time after the last storm. I hear they are good, but costly.
    actually, these "storm chasers" or "travelers" you refer to them can do an exceptional job if you provide close and knowledgeable supervision but if left on their own, yep, they'll take you to the cleaners..

Personally, I don't care how much they make from AllState as long as I get a good roof and don't owe anybody anything.......

if you do use a "traveler" check every bundle as it comes off the truck and before it gets on the roof. check all the flashing around each vent, valley, eave and chimney......be very very 'picky' when you're checking the flashing because once they pull out of your driveway, you'll never ever seen them again and they can save themselves a lot of time by adopting a "good enuff" attitude regarding flashing.....don't forget the drip edging!......the last time i had shingles replaced, the crew was trying to leave while I was still checking.....found out they didn't put up the west drip edge....also, make damned sure they seal the chimney flashing........and finally, NEVER EVER NEVER pay a 'traveler' up front.......oh, and btw, a lot of 'traveler' teams are formed and managed by NASCAR drivers out of charlotte.......especially Dillon.....mac
    Last edited by mac; January 24th, 2019 at 12:59 PM.

3. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Biggest way to avoid a 'traveler' roofing company? Hire ONLY companies that have been in the area for years.
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gnatsum View Post
    Biggest way to avoid a 'traveler' roofing company? Hire ONLY companies that have been in the area for years.
    yep.....that's true.......but, of course, the only drawback to that is you will prob'ly have to wait a good while longer.....mac

6. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My parents' house was reroofed back in 1984 (when it was 20 years old), and again in 2005. First company was local, but I forgot who they are (IF they're still in business...) and I don't know if they did the later job or if it was someone else.
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally sucked it up and had an adjuster and roofing company come out and I am happy to say I am getting a new roof!
    VOTE Rainwater and Snyder!!

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

9. Likes Night Owl, CenTexDave, shawnricheson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    who did you wind up getting, xz, if you don't mind my asking?......mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    who did you wind up getting, xz, if you don't mind my asking?......mac
    Proclaim out of Dallas. They have great reviews and BBB rating. Plus I went to elementary school with the guy's mom so I can always get a hold of him!
    VOTE Rainwater and Snyder!!

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

12. LOL Rick, CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3