Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Roofing Companies

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A&M Roofing out of Kempner replaced my entire roof 5 years ago, along with some other minor repairs, and did a great job.
    Get 3 estimates before you even call your insurance company. When the adjuster comes you'll have a bit of ammo then. When the adjuster submits his report of damage
    the insurance company will low ball you.
    My shingles are made out of those Cleo Bay Honda Flyers that are sent out... the good part is every time we have a hail storm I Win $5,000
    Last edited by Ricky; January 19th, 2019 at 4:48 PM.
    The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.

2. Likes xzochye liked this post
    LOL CenTexDave, Night Owl, fchafey LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The adjuster looks at signs of damage caused by hail and time. The material on the slates eventually erodes away and then hail damage can be seen as either dimples or cracks in the fiber material underneath.

Most companies will try and make it so you get it all paid for by the insurance company and then get your deductible too. That is supposedly not to happen, but then once you get the roof fixed you can be sure the insurance company, unless you have USAA, will try to make their money back by upping your annual rate. My rate went up 3 years in a row until I got smart and moved my policy to USAA. They di my wifes old car when we had the big hail storm a few years ago and I was betting their premium would go up a bunch but it did not.

In the past, my Killeen house had slab leaks that were costing me $1200 a pop to fix. After the 3rd one we had a company come in and overhead our water lines to eliminate the problem. This was our 3rd insurance claim that year and Allstate refused to renew our policy so we went to USAA as well for that. Allstate has been trying to get us back for 15 years now. 2 insurance companies I refuse to deal with are Geico and Allstate. Geico because they insured my cars when I was in Germany and then refused to insure the same car when I got back to the states. I was really pissed and went to Allstate where the agent said their policy was the same because my 82 Trans Am was considered a "racing car"... But then he insured my wifes car and told me that since she was insured by them, they had to take any other vehicles in the family. A loophole.

Never did like insurance companies much as they are betting you nothing that nothing in your life will go wrong all the while you are giving them money betting them that something will. Life insurance policies are the worst. You send them hundreds of dollars every month all your life and when you hit 65, they start raising the rates so you will cancel. Which I finally did. I could kick myself for throwing all that money away for all those years.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

4. Thanks Dagobert II, CenTexDave thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    The adjuster looks at signs of damage caused by hail and time. The material on the slates eventually erodes away and then hail damage can be seen as either dimples or cracks in the fiber material underneath.

Most companies will try and make it so you get it all paid for by the insurance company and then get your deductible too. .
    This is where I get so confused and worried. I have checked my policy and I don’t see any mention about the age of the roof. As I am researching it online I see some things that say I will only get what my roof is worth now and other articles that lead me to believe it won’t be an issue getting it all replaced. I am hoping I find someone that works the deductible in too. Mine is $1575 so it will be a bit painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    VOTE Rainwater and Snyder!!

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

Post Thanks / Like
    I received excellent service from APEX Roofing when I got a new roof to replace the storm-damaged one three years ago. Talk to Mike Cochran at (512)660-4859. He's really easy to work with.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    Might not even be worth calling your insurance company about. Get those 3 estimates first. Then do the math - what they think it would cost less your deductible.
    But with the shingles "cupping" as you say, probably time for a new one.
    Better yet - if not leaking - wait until the next hail storm then call the insurance company.
    what Dave just said there is very important, XZ, wait till the next hail storm (if you can't see the sky through the roof) and then call 'em up 2 days later....mac

8. Thanks sojourner truth thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post

He said meat roof
    Damn, I meant steel roof.....
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

10. Likes Ricky liked this post
    LOL CenTexDave, Ricky, Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last time I got a roof, after I recovered from the disappointment of finding out that I didn't qualify for a Good Hardworking Friends grant, (some nonsense about not being a member of the Club even though my Sam's Club membership was valid) I found a guy who said he could do it for whatever the insurance company (USAA) paid. He provided the date of the last hail storm, included my garden shed in his estimate and was present when the adjuster showed up to point out any damage the adjuster might miss and certify that the grade of shingles used qualified for a discount on my homeowner's policy. I looked for the name of his company in my check register but couldn't find it as I've evidently moved to a new register.

I've got to say I'm very satisfied with the job his crew did and am glad the wall was not yet in place, much as I'm sure the limitless city was when getting that fence around Skylark Field after 9/11.

Almost forgot to add, I also got an estimate for a metal roof but upon seeing it decided the insurance wouldn't go far enough to cover it's cost and as it would't come with an aggrandized story of my life engraved in hieroglyphs, there was no point in paying for a memorial.
    Last edited by Dagobert II; January 20th, 2019 at 11:14 AM.

12. Likes fchafey, CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reese Roofing is good and fair.!! I would avoid Martinez tar and leak and give and price.. starts work and then wants more $$

Post Thanks / Like
    Use a reputable local company!! So if you get a leak..?? You can show up at their office!!.. not a fly by nighter.. storm chaser..

15. Likes sojourner truth, fchafey, CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep... We used a storm chaser last time mostly because we almost had to since nobody else was available for 6 months or more due to the huge numbers of roofs that needed repairing.

Some retreads from Colorado. They had to be scammers too since they did the "no deductible" option and the cost of the job was, amazingly, exactly what the insurance company said they would pay. Those are the ones you have to watch out for. Get the insurance companies quote first, do not tell the roofer what it is, and then get your estimate from them. If the insurance company says $11,000 and the roofer says the same, they are not worth the effort.

I went down and got the actual cost of the shingles, vents, and paper needed for the job and compared it to the roofers estimate and there was a considerable mark up. I will wait the time next time and go with a local company that has a good reputation. Lange roofing had a horrible wait time after the last storm. I hear they are good, but costly.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

17. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast